Poor Weather Forcast/Storm Teams

kerry1379

Mouseketeer
As Hurricane Milton approaches and I watch it on the news, I feel bad for the weather teams that are reporting while out in the storm. Is it really necessary for them to be out IN it? I mean put them in front of a window and I'll believe it is as bad as they are saying.

I do know the Weather Channel has been criticized in the past for purposely standing somewhere that tends to make the storm look as bad as possible when 180 degrees behind them it looked totally different. I watched a bit of the Florida hurricane coverage this evening and agree with you that the 24 hr non-stop coverage seems a bit over the top for me. One guy was standing in some parking garage showing how the water was rising while another was standing in the open with the wind howling in his face. Standing out in the open during a hurricane seems needlessly dangerous since you easily get hit by flying debris.

While I think the weather coverage ahead of these storms is good to create awareness and encourage people to make plans/evacuate/etc., the live/never-ending coverage is a bit much and doesn't accomplish much. If you live there you should have already evacuated and if you haven't by now it is too late/dangerous to be on the roads that are rapidly flooding.

During one of the other recent hurricanes, some of those broadcasting seemed to have NO idea where they were and talked like they just showed up and someone handed them a microphone to broadcast live. One of them was in some parking lot of a hotel and didn't even know how far they were from the ocean. What that accomplished I had NO idea.

After the storm has passed there will likely again be days of coverage when the reporter stands next to a pile of rubble and goes on about how bad the storm was. What purpose that serves isn't clear to me either.

I think the opposite of pp. The weather people stand where it's less severe so they don't get injured. I watch the coverage and it doesn't seem that bad to me and then the next day you see the arial view of the devastation and it's shocking. Tomorrow will probably be shocking.
I remember watching the coverage of Katrina thinking it was a nothing burger. New Orleans dodged a bullet, but then the levees broke and OMG... plus the destruction in Alabama. You just never know. I didn't think Helene was going to do what it did.

Last edited:

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest