• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pools open?

smidgy

dimples
I have heard a lot about the protocols when WDW reopens: masks, social distancing, lower capacity, no shows etc. but nothing about the pools. We thought well just spend a lot of time by the pool. I’m guessing they will remove a lot of loungers but any word on if the pools will even be open?

I have heard a lot about the protocols when WDW reopens: masks, social distancing, lower capacity, no shows etc. but nothing about the pools. We thought well just spend a lot of time by the pool. I’m guessing they will remove a lot of loungers but any word on if the pools will even be open?
No official guidelines about WDWs reopening have gone out, so it's all conjecture at this point. No one here knows.

No doubt IMO Disney pools will open.

We just got back from the beach-hotel pools were open.

Our local Water Park is going to open with the "new normal"----reduced capacity/distancing between loungers/distance markers in slide lines/etc.

If the Resorts are open,the Pools will be open with restrictions for sure IMO.

Could be another "indication" that the Resort Pools will open-Disney is bringing back the Resort Activities Cast to act as "Greeters" at Disney Springs.

I am thinking they will work at Disney Springs and then slide over to the Resort Pools sometime in June(the "wording" some Guests with mid-June reservations are getting seems to indicate the Resorts may open without the Parks for a period of time).

Tomorrow they should be announcing when they plan to re-open the theme parks. Maybe they will have resort phases set out too. I think they have a plan but are just waiting for the Disney legal team to make sure they have all the basis covered and that they are not opening themselves to a law suit.

I just wonder if it would be practical to open the pools anytime soon given the CDC restrictions. The staff necessary to keep control how many people are there, social distancing etc. may push it way down the priority list. I'm trying to think if I have ever been in a pool while at Disney, and maybe twice in 55 years have I been in the pool at Disney.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html

I just wonder if it would be practical to open the pools anytime soon given the CDC restrictions. The staff necessary to keep control how many people are there, social distancing etc. may push it way down the priority list. I'm trying to think if I have ever been in a pool while at Disney, and maybe twice in 55 years have I been in the pool at Disney.
It might be a low priority for you, but WDW has some amazing pools, and a lot of summer guests, particularly many families, pick a specific resort with the quality of its pool in mind. It is an important part of many people's trips.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html
If the pools aren't open, that's a huge reason to put off our trip until everyone can be vaccinated. My crew spends every afternoon at the pool. It would take a lot of the fun out of our trip. For the amount of money we spend, I would rather wait until we can enjoy WDW like we used to. Otherwise, we can enjoy our backyard pool.

It might be a low priority for you, but WDW has some amazing pools, and a lot of summer guests, particularly many families, pick a specific resort with the quality of its pool in mind. It is an important part of many people's trips.
Only been to WDW once and stayed at the Grand Floridian during June. We were there a week and our room overlooked the pool. Must have been an off week, because it rarely had more than a dozen or so people in it.
But if the facilities you want aren't available, don't go until they area. I have no idea what Disney is going to do, or what state laws or federal law will allow them to do. Watching the latest updates here in California. reopening public pools here are currently among the last steps of reopening. But health officials here are considering just keeping pools closed for the year since enforcing social distancing would be difficult

Last edited:
We spend at least one full day at the pool in a cabana. Every other day, we go to the pool for about 4 hours in between parks and dinner.

I cannot imagine being at WDW wearing a mask all of the time. If I didn't have the relief of swimming in the pool...I guess with a mask on...OMG...this all sounds miserable.

We rescheduled for July 2021. We cannot go without a vaccine. Between wearing a mask in the Florida heat/humidity and not being able to swim, I would rather stay home...even if it means the airline won't refund our tickets. There's no point in spending gobs and gobs of money to be uncomfortable.

This is supposed to be paradise, and it doesn't sound like it right now.

JMO but NO WAY the Resorts at WDW open during SUMMER with closed Pools-NO WAY.
I suspect some things will have to be closed. Just not enough staff to keep everyone safe. What do you think they will close instead of the pools?

Character meets and greets, shows like Fantasmic, buffets, parades, fireworks.
This. The things that pack people together the most, particularly shows, parades & fireworks. Pools do not pack people together like that. People move freely around each other in pools, but that is no different than people moving around each other freely while touring the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter