• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pools - BLT vs VGF?

emilymad

DIS Veteran
We are trying to decide where to stay for our next visit. We are between BLT and VGF. When we stayed at BLT before we hated their pool but just walked over to the main CR pool which was no big deal. How does the VGF pool compare? I read that you have to go the Courtyard Pool to use a hot tub. Is that true? How far of a walk is that?

Thanks!

Haven't stayed at BLT but just got back from VGF. Lots of shade over beach pool so it might depend on time of year. It is a bit of a hike to the pool with the hot tub (there should have been one placed at the beach pool.--if they needed room, they could have gotten rid of the fire pit.) Very busy Sunday at parks but lots of room at pools and weather was gorgeous (88 in December.) Nothing special about theming of GF (little ones would probably enoy the mad hatter hat that dumps water.) Will say food is good at pools (better than Gasparilla Grill.)

We just got back from VGF a week ago, but didn't swim this trip. We've stayed many times in the past at GF though, and even after the theme pool was built preferred the courtyard pool (it felt bigger, maybe because of less people, no zero entry, no area cordoned off for a slide). I will day the new mad hatter water thing looked pretty fun- that's new since we used to stay there.

We've stayed at BLT several times and always go over to the CT. The walk to the courtyard pool at GF can't be more than going over to the CT.

Thanks! It sounds like both pools would be options. We prefer a quieter pool and hot tub which sounds like it is not an issue. The BLT pool always seems crazy and way too small for the number of people. Last time we were there we shared the hot tub with a 6 month year old. Crazy.

Can't comment on VGF but the pool at BLT is a major flaw with that resort and IMO is THE worst pool of any DVC resort. It's kiddie-pool sized and WAAAY over-crowded plus the real estate for lounge chairs is severely limited. You'd better like who you're sitting next to because they're in your lap. We also found that it's in the shade late in the day (in the spring) so if you're hoping for some late afternoon suntaning forget it. We found that we enjoyed the pool over at the Contemporary 300% more.

Neither DVC pool at BLT or VGF is that great.

VGF has a small pool with slide near the DVC rooms and a nice grill, the best part is the kids play area. There are 3 or 4 private cabanas there that are pretty expensive and I am not sure it is worth it.

The larger pool and single hot tub is in the middle of the GF resort and about 300 yards away from the other pool. The bar is larger and there was plenty of chairs.

I personally think the best spot is the beach (i.e. lakefront) chairs between the two pools.

Can't comment on VGF but the pool at BLT is a major flaw with that resort and IMO is THE worst pool of any DVC resort. It's kiddie-pool sized and WAAAY over-crowded plus the real estate for lounge chairs is severely limited. You'd better like who you're sitting next to because they're in your lap. We also found that it's in the shade late in the day (in the spring) so if you're hoping for some late afternoon suntaning forget it. We found that we enjoyed the pool over at the Contemporary 300% more.

Agree the BLT pool is a major disapointment. We swam at the main pool.

We also hopped to the VGF, I am not sure how old your kids are (or if you have kids) but mine played in the new Water Playground for over 2 hours until we dragged them away.

Agree the BLT pool is a major disapointment. We swam at the main pool.

We also hopped to the VGF, I am not sure how old your kids are (or if you have kids) but mine played in the new Water Playground for over 2 hours until we dragged them away.

:lmao: While he would've liked it when he was younger my "kid" is now 16 and is a competitive swimmer so none of the DVC pools hold much interest with him. :rotfl: He club swims year round 11 mo. a year for 5x a week, does HS swim team (Nov - Feb) and a summer swim team (Memorial Day thru July) so by the time we go on vacations he is pretty done with the water and could care less about spending more time at the pool.:rotfl2: I on the other hand, enjoy a nice quiet sunny lounge chair with a cold beverage and my Kindle or what-have-you. At the BLT pool I literally had to crawl onto my lounge chair from the foot of it because it was touching the other chairs on either side. There was NO PLACE to even set my drink down where I could reach it. There were so many toddlers in life vests bobbing around in the pool I couldn't take a step without bumping into something that was kicking & screaming. It was the most disappointing experience ever not to mention a lifeguards nightmare. I think every child there was 6 or under. The pool at the Contemporary tho was wide open with plenty of empty lounge chairs that actually had some space between them. Loved it over there!!:thumbsup2

:lmao: While he would've liked it when he was younger my "kid" is now 16 and is a competitive swimmer so none of the DVC pools hold much interest with him. :rotfl: He club swims year round 11 mo. a year for 5x a week, does HS swim team (Nov - Feb) and a summer swim team (Memorial Day thru July) so by the time we go on vacations he is pretty done with the water and could care less about spending more time at the pool.:rotfl2: I on the other hand, enjoy a nice quiet sunny lounge chair with a cold beverage and my Kindle or what-have-you. At the BLT pool I literally had to crawl onto my lounge chair from the foot of it because it was touching the other chairs on either side. There was NO PLACE to even set my drink down where I could reach it. There were so many toddlers in life vests bobbing around in the pool I couldn't take a step without bumping into something that was kicking & screaming. It was the most disappointing experience ever not to mention a lifeguards nightmare. I think every child there was 6 or under. The pool at the Contemporary tho was wide open with plenty of empty lounge chairs that actually had some space between them. Loved it over there!!:thumbsup2

In your shoes I would definitely be at the main pool. Lots of sun, lots of chairs and not crowded at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter