POLL: How many DIS are willing to pay to play Wizard101?

Will you pay to play Wizard 101?

• Yes, $9.95/month is reasonable

• No, $9.95/month is too much

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wow. I didn't realize they completely shut it off. I played on Krokotopia this morning before work, so that must have happened after 7:15 eastern time. It would have been nice if there was notice, or even if they changed things with the wipe.

I wish that they had made all of Wizard City open to non-subscribers. I figured that everything beyond Krokotopia would be subscription, and Wizard City would be free (at least that's what I was hoping).

Ok here is all the information in 1 long message with pieces copied from the Wizards website!;)

Benefits of subscibing:
SubscriptionBenefits-1.jpg

Costs of subscription:
"
For a limited time, you can purchase a one-year subscription for only $60
50% savings off the regularly monthly subscription!

1-month subscription for $9.95
6-month subscription for $49.95
Regularly priced one-year subscription $79.95
"
Note: The "limited time" is presently till Monday, September 8th.

Costs of crowns:
"
2500 Crowns for $5
5000 Crowns for $10
13750 Crowns for $25 1250 Extra Crowns FREE
30000 Crowns for $50 5000 Extra Crowns FREE
60000 Crowns for $80 20000 Extra Crowns FREE
"

It would have been nice if there was notice, or even if they changed things with the wipe.

Yes. That would have been very nice. And, personally, 1 week's notice, for many families, to come up with $60, $120, $180 and up for this game is a bit of a stretch. Had they given some notice, this is when we look to go live, then it would allow some of the kids and their families time to prepare.

There are going to be MANY upset kids when they get home from school today.

...#1 Maybe we were naive but they never made the free option sound like just a game trial in the past. They made it sound like you just wouldn't have access to some of the things subscribers would have...
As you and others may know, Cindy and I have an insider for this game and this is what we were told.

The developers really like playing the duel arena and they thought adding it to the free play option was a great deal for those that can not afford paying.

They are working on fixing the Canadian thing :thumbsup2

Thanks Sea I knew you would know if they were and since I know you have an inside you would be able to send an sos. :)

It would just be sad if we got home tonight and not be able to play. But then again my hubby and I could take out our frustraton in the duel area :)

Oh one further thing. Once you pay and get the "thanks..." message on the website you will immediate get access to the pay only areas. If you are logged into the game when you pay you may have to logout or shut Wizards down completely, but I am not sure if you will even have to do that.

As you and others may know, Cindy and I have an insider for this game and this is what we were told.

The developers really like playing the duel arena and they thought adding it to the free play option was a great deal for those that can not afford paying.

That is nice, no doubt.

I think this game is worth paying for, I just wish the free area didnt appear so much like nothing but a trial to see if your in or not. If they had stressed earlier on that free is meant only as a trial, there wouldnt be so many broken hearts right now.

It was also a privelidge for many of us to play a product that was obviously polished, graphically pleasing, and a great concept. Many of us had quite a long run and I am grateful for all the time we shared in there and our DIS meets and all that teamwork. Thank you to all of you who will be retiring now, you left a positive influence in this game.

#2 Wheres the communication? Everyone would not have a problem when you are up front about these things. MMOG's need to learn their worlds create a community and it becomes more than just a game. Turning off areas to people over night without warning was not in good taste. Or did I miss some announcement??

As I have pointed out, there are many positives in this game, I intend to continue playing as a subscriber. There will be no hug fest from me when they screw up @_@ and they screwed this up.
ITA, aengus. :thumbsup2

In fact, reading their message last week about the Pioneer Dragons --
The Pioneer Dragons will only be available for purchase from Friday, August 29th until Wednesday, September 3rd at 7:00 a.m. Central Standard Time.
-- lead me to believe the launch would happen tomorrow at the earliest.

Looks like TPTB at Wizard101 jumped the gun by a day. Yet another BAD MOVE, KingsIsle. :sad2:

Does the Duel Arena give you any experience points?

I wouldn't mind the limitations as much if I knew I could still level up to get some higher spells. What is the best way to do that now? I have no more quests I can do.

Kind of surprised they included Triton Ave. but not Cyclops Lane in the free areas, as logistically Cyclops Lane seems to come up sooner in the quests. Guess I'll be hanging out with my old pal the Kraken a lot.

2500 Crowns for $5
5000 Crowns for $10
13750 Crowns for $25 1250 Extra Crowns FREE
30000 Crowns for $50 5000 Extra Crowns FREE
60000 Crowns for $80 20000 Extra Crowns FREE

I am really undecided. We have two logins. I was anticipating it being set up like TT. On TT, we have the same e-mail address but two different logins which is the only way for us to play together so I have to pay for two accounts. My TT accounts are due to expire next month and I didn't plan to renew them. Two accounts on Wizard 101 would be cheaper than TT if I paid for them now. My biggest concern is the crown issue. How do I know that one good outfit is not going to cost 2500 crowns or more? This where the game could become very costly. They had mentioned another option for getting crowns. I wish I had more information about this. I don't mind looking like a combination of three different vegetables but my daughter would definitely have to learn to bargain shop. (Just like in real life. :rolleyes1 )

How is that different than spending $60 on a WII game and being done is a month and then what...

I don't see where you are going with that. Wii games and online games are in pretty different leagues here.

Let's say you buy a Wii game (I think that the Super Smash Brothers game is the closest to Wizards, but I only have like three Wii games so I wouldn't know ;) ). Now, if you beat it in a month or so, you can do a couple of things with it:

~Keep it and play it again in a year or so, or when friends come over
~Sell it to a video game store for about half the price
~Sell it to a friend for about $45-$50

There is a big difference between subscribing to an online game and a Wii game because a Wii game is tangible. Buying a years worth of play time from Wizard 101 is not a tangible item and once your year is up, you can't do anything with it.

(By the way, if you beat any game in a month you have either a) spent too much time playing it or b) chosen a bad game :laughing: )

An online game has the potential for developing into something else whereas a Wii game is just going to sit there.

An online game has the potential for developing into something else whereas a Wii game is just going to sit there.

But when you buy a Wii game it is complex, full, and complete, much unlike the bare-bones game that Wizards appears to be right now.

I'm not arguing against online games, I'm just saying that Wizards is too small for someone to buy a full year's subscription.

But when you buy a Wii game it is complex, full, and complete, much unlike the bare-bones game that Wizards appears to be right now.

I'm not arguing against online games, I'm just saying that Wizards is too small for someone to buy a full year's subscription.

My son can beat wii games in less than a day. I actually see wizards as having way more content than a typical console game. I dont look at wizards as bare-bones at all.

I agree there are major differences between a console game and a online game, but only in that if someone decides to pull the plug on the game (cough disney cough) then I cant throw my dvd in the console and play it.

On the plus side, wizard can continue adding worlds (hopefully they will) and it doesnt have to be canned like typically most console games are.

Does anyone know if one account would be able to be used from 2 computers at the same time? Like, if we created DH's wizard under my account, could he and I both be logged in and playing our different wizards together?

I'm thinking not, but it was worth asking.

Does anyone know if one account would be able to be used from 2 computers at the same time? Like, if we created DH's wizard under my account, could he and I both be logged in and playing our different wizards together?

a couple of us are waiting for that answer will post if I hear anything. My son started playing like 2 days ago go figure :rotfl:

No. You have to have 2 separate log-ins which means you have to have 2 separate accounts.

The accounts can be managed from 1 'parent' log-in associated with 1 email address, but you have to have 2 separate log-ins and 2 separate paid accounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter