Podcast - Overrated restaurants

Great post Heidi. I’m a sucker for gorgeous water views.

I might just have to visit on an upcoming trip!

Totally agree with all you say, Tony. And I'm with you in hoping Jiko is not "lost". Granted it's been a long time for me, but always had awesome experiences - ambiance, service, and especially food there. Thought of that as one of my "go to" places to take someone for a special occasion if they didn't have some other place picked out. And totally agree with your thoughts on the other food options at AKL too. I tried to get on property there at last once every visit to do a meal, and just enjoy the ambiance there (same thing with WL, and OKW)

As someone else mentioned, perhaps Pete's opinion on Jiko may be jaded since he has been there quite often. To someone who has never been there, they may really like the place. It is like Tony's at the Magic Kingdom, there are a lot of people who swear by it, and go there every time. Then there are others, such as myself, that avoid that place like the plague. It is all a matter of someone's opinion and taste.

As someone else mentioned, perhaps Pete's opinion on Jiko may be jaded since he has been there quite often. To someone who has never been there, they may really like the place.
That's true, but I think that's a different issue. Someone who goes there regularly is certainly well-suited to comment on whether or not the place has gone downhill. That doesn't necessarily mean it is bad but rather that it isn't as good as it used to be. Many times a restaurant will rest on it's laurels and no longer be living up to its reputation. I think that's what they were suggesting on the show.

I can't comment personally as I've never been to Jiko so I have no opinion on the matter.

I am wondering if part of Pete’s view would s just that he had been there so often and had it down how he liked things and how the chef that was there did things, etc and now it just isn’t the same

Hi Phil! Totally agree. I ate there a few months ago ( not sure when the change occurred) and it was a great meal, very good service. Although I will say maybe not as “great” as previous visits. If you frequent a place enough, you become familiar with small styles/details ...and lets face it, most chefs want to differentiate themselves from others so there is no way it will be exactly the same. Still one of the best in my opinion.

Konas was a great call out. Konas was our spot, our little hidden gem that we loved with really good food, and wait staff. Plus they would "sneak" the bread pudding over for you. But the last time we went a few months ago, we said no more. Still great staff, but the new menu is just not that appealing. The best steaks are gone, and its just not worth it. It verified I was not alone in feeling that way. My daughter is heading down next week and I would not let her eat there; it is just not the same at all. So sad

I would absolutely put 'Be Our Guest' in the overrated category...

Totally agree! We’ve tried breakfast and dinner there. Both times were “meh” experiences. The food wasn’t anything special, small portions and boring. The plates were clearly pre-made and left sitting out. (Sauce had curdled/congealed and food was cold in spots.) We definitely won’t be back there for a looooong time!

Ate at Jiko just over 72 hours ago for the first time. If it has “slipped”, I’d pay a million bucks to have tried it at its peak. Because it was easily the best meal I’ve ever had on property, and I’m not even sure there’s a close second. In fact, it was probably one of the top three meals I’ve ever had in my entire life.

Less than 24 hours later, I tried Le Cellier for the first time. Was it good? Sure. But coming on the heels of Jiko, it never had a chance. I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat there again. Not because it was bad(it wasn’t), but because I’ll assume that other two-credit restaurants can at least equal(and probably surpass) it.

What came through on both the Overrated show and also this past week's regular DIS episode where they talked about 'Ohana and then views of restaurants in general is that someone's personal experience at a restaurant plays a big role - and that goes well beyond the food. What was your state of mind? Who were you with? What time of day? Crowd levels, etc. - all sorts of stuff. And often that helps build an emotional attachment to a restaurant and I am wondering with Jiko if Pete just had an emotional connection to his past experiences there and the specific way his food was then (and adding in that in the back of his mind he might be primed to think that it isn't as good due to the Chef moving to Cali Grill) and that just tainted his view - so perhaps it was a bit different and a bit "less" than prior experiences he personally had there - but based on what others are saying it doesn't seem to be a big trend there

I Am Not A Conspiracy Theorist.

I just wanted to get that out of the way, before I get accused of such. To that point, I do not think that Disney intentionally manipulates the ebb and flow of a restaurant's reputation and quality. However, I wonder if sometimes they let things run their course when they see a general consensus voicing their concerns with on-site dining options. They certainly don't hit the panic button. There is no urgency to "right the ship" when guest experience starts to suffer, but from a Corporate standpoint, that is understandable. They want to see if the new standards of food quality and service become acceptable in the majority's eyes. There are enough first time guests at WDW that don't have the old standard in which to compare it, and will either accept it for what it is NOW or not. If they do, great! No further action is needed. The frequent fliers (yearly returnees or annual pass holders) will either continue to complain, adapt, or find somewhere new to dine.

Here is where I believe the guest experience can actually benefit from the peaks and valleys. Those guests who have their absolute favorite restaurants that they go to every time are now inclined to try something new. When one of my favorite restaurants here at home starts to slip, I find somewhere new to audition. I have discovered some hidden gems in my own hometown by turning down an old favorite because of a menu change. As a few and far between WDW guest, I am excited to try out some new places that have made my ADR list because some of the ones I used to enjoy didn't live up to my expectations (or memories).

Now I am certainly not saying that Disney purposely lets restaurants go into a decline to broaden the guest experience, but do I think that they will let it run its course? You betcha'. They are still making their money. (San Angel Inn and Tony's have yet to ever turn in a profitless day, and Expedition Everest still requires a fast pass, "Disco Yetti" and all... ) Until they see a drop in profits, Disney will continue to let things coast (If it ain't broke, yada, yada...). Any successful company that has built the kind of reputation that WDW has will not tamper with profits until it proves necessary.

First time guests will ensure that places like Whispering Canyon, Ohana, CRT, BOG, and Le Cellier are remaining on the "hard to score ADRs" list. (by the by, I enjoyed each of these, but I am seeing these particular restaurants showing up in this thread multiple times) But for we repeat offenders, maybe trying some new places will bring a little more magic to our next visit.

just a thought...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter