• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning first solo trip

cherrylimeadew

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone!

So here's my story. I've been to Disney twice, not counting my childhood trip in the early 90's, with my wife in 2020 and 2021.

I was all set to be going back in October of this year with her and her family for a 8 night trip.

But long story short she's about to be my ex wife and a trip with her family isn't in the cards anymore.

So I'd like to still get to have a disney trip even if it's not as soon as originally planned. And even if it's going to be a lonelier experience.

Any tips/advice will be appreciated. Especially about how to make it not feel quite as lonely. :)

Right now I'm eyeing January as a hopefully less busy time to go.

Sorry to hear of your marital troubles, but by January maybe it will be less at the forefront of your mind. Not sure if you use any other social media platforms, but Facebook and Instagram have lots of Disney groups for different interests where people will post about doing meet ups. Also there is a thread here where other single travelers post their dates to meet with one another for dinner or drinks during their stay. If you prefer to stay by yourself, Disney is one of the best places to do so because there are so many things visually happening around you you can get lost in it and everyone else is as well. Plan for the things that will make you comfortable. If eating at table service alone is cringy don't do it. If you want to sit and read a book on a bench in Morocco ( my personal favorite), do it. Seize the day with this trip and do anything to your hearts content, within legal and responsible reason. :-)

Sorry to hear of your marital troubles, but by January maybe it will be less at the forefront of your mind. Not sure if you use any other social media platforms, but Facebook and Instagram have lots of Disney groups for different interests where people will post about doing meet ups. Also there is a thread here where other single travelers post their dates to meet with one another for dinner or drinks during their stay. If you prefer to stay by yourself, Disney is one of the best places to do so because there are so many things visually happening around you you can get lost in it and everyone else is as well. Plan for the things that will make you comfortable. If eating at table service alone is cringy don't do it. If you want to sit and read a book on a bench in Morocco ( my personal favorite), do it. Seize the day with this trip and do anything to your hearts content, within legal and responsible reason. :-)

Thank you. I want to do some TS to make up for what I’m missing in October. I’ll just tough it out and play some Pokémon go lol. Might not be easy but I need homecomin!!

I wrote a post after my first solo trip (also experienced martial troubles at the time). It may help ease any anxiety you have.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...ut-going-solo-do-it-report-pics-tips.3838293/

After taking the trip in the above post, I then took a solo trip in October, followed by January. After my January solo trip, I took my career remote and moved to Winter Garden, about 10 minutes from WDW property. So, my best advice is be careful to not get addicted like I did! :rotfl2:

I wrote a post after my first solo trip (also experienced martial troubles at the time). It may help ease any anxiety you have.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...ut-going-solo-do-it-report-pics-tips.3838293/

After taking the trip in the above post, I then took a solo trip in October, followed by January. After my January solo trip, I took my career remote and moved to Winter Garden, about 10 minutes from WDW property. So, my best advice is be careful to not get addicted like I did! :rotfl2:

Thank you. I will read your post soon!

I go solo often, usually at least twice a year. It really depends on if you like spending time alone. I usually enjoy my solo trips more than my trips with my son. I love my trips with my son and we have been doing them since around 1983 but my alone time is special. You can get up when you want to, explore the resort, go sit in a lounge and people watch, ride or not ride what you want, eat when you want. If you don't like being alone on rides, strike up a conversation with people around you. I have had other solo people talk to me in line then ask if they could ride with me. I've had parents ask if one of their kids can ride with me because they had 3 and the ride was only 2 people per seat. They felt more comfortable with the kid riding with a grandma type then with another family. I usually have my kindle app on my phone and read in TS restaurants after my meal has been served.

I love a good solo trip. I've traveled domestically and internationally by myself and my two most recent solo trips have been to WDW. Honestly, traveling solo in Disney is easier than anywhere else IMO, because there's so much to do right in front of your face all of the time.

For January, if your schedule is flexible, I would plan around Festival of the Arts, MLK weekend, and the marathon. I went to Festival of the Arts for the first time this year and I absolutely loved it; it might be my favorite festival. However, I did visit Epcot in between festivals this summer and it was delightfully empty, so keep that in mind too. In January, you will probably need at least a sweater; I bring a hat and gloves that time of year too.

Some of my favorite solo activities: rope dropping La Cava, riding single rider Everest over and over, meeting characters, espresso martinis at the bar at Enchanted Rose, eating at Skipper Canteen because there's so much to look at, thinking of hilarious solo ride photos (my best was holding up all my shopping receipts on HM with a scared face), and playing on the playDisney parks app while in ride queues. If you like popcorn, get a popcorn bucket and get the maple popcorn in Canada. If you're hot and tired, go back to the resort for a dip in the pool. It's so refreshing to be in one of the world's most popular tourist destinations and not have anyone to answer to but yourself.

I'm sorry the intention behind the trip has changed, and I hope you have a good time regardless.

I love a good solo trip. I've traveled domestically and internationally by myself and my two most recent solo trips have been to WDW. Honestly, traveling solo in Disney is easier than anywhere else IMO, because there's so much to do right in front of your face all of the time.

For January, if your schedule is flexible, I would plan around Festival of the Arts, MLK weekend, and the marathon. I went to Festival of the Arts for the first time this year and I absolutely loved it; it might be my favorite festival. However, I did visit Epcot in between festivals this summer and it was delightfully empty, so keep that in mind too. In January, you will probably need at least a sweater; I bring a hat and gloves that time of year too.

Some of my favorite solo activities: rope dropping La Cava, riding single rider Everest over and over, meeting characters, espresso martinis at the bar at Enchanted Rose, eating at Skipper Canteen because there's so much to look at, thinking of hilarious solo ride photos (my best was holding up all my shopping receipts on HM with a scared face), and playing on the playDisney parks app while in ride queues. If you like popcorn, get a popcorn bucket and get the maple popcorn in Canada. If you're hot and tired, go back to the resort for a dip in the pool. It's so refreshing to be in one of the world's most popular tourist destinations and not have anyone to answer to but yourself.

I'm sorry the intention behind the trip has changed, and I hope you have a good time regardless.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I'm sure I will have a good time with some twinges of "she would've been here with me." I'm sure it'll be hard to avoid.

I went to the skipper canteen before and would love to go again.

My housing situation might be settled soon so I might try and make it this year. I was thinking the week after thanksgiving. Apparently that might not be too busy?

You know best about yourself, but as the years pass, many of us probably feel those 'twinges' as we continue to visit but we miss a family member who was once always.
Not the same, but you may find a new sense of independence!
It is WONDERFUL following only your own schedule... A true VayCay...Very relaxing & I have often enjoyed even the dinner buffets on my own. CM servers were even more attentive.

But follow your heart & be sure to be aware of XL requirements if you go for it.

It's a great big beautiful tomorrow! :smickey:

You know best about yourself, but as the years pass, many of us probably feel those 'twinges' as we continue to visit but we miss a family member who was once always.
Not the same, but you may find a new sense of independence!
It is WONDERFUL following only your own schedule... A true VayCay...Very relaxing & I have often enjoyed even the dinner buffets on my own. CM servers were even more attentive.

But follow your heart & be sure to be aware of XL requirements if you go for it.

It's a great big beautiful tomorrow! :smickey:
XL requirements?

I've been divorced for over a decade, but have always gone to WDW with my kids, until last December. I went solo and had a really nice time. The things I liked were: doing what I wanted when I wanted (for example, going to The Hall of Presidents, which my kids never want to do), taking my time around World Showcase, using an old SLR camera with film to take some cool shots, basically slowly meandering around taking in life. The things I didn't like: the comments about how cool it was to eat alone at Le Cellier (like it was a feat...honestly I felt ok about it until that), the occasional twinge of wishing I was there with a special someone, night time. All in all, I would do it again. So, use the time to figure out what you like by yourself without another's influence...it's kind of eye opening. I had many sit-down meals and enjoyed myself. There was another solo lady at Tony's Restaurant in MK and we "cheers"ed each other with our drinks. :) Have fun!!!! Don't worry.

I've been divorced for over a decade, but have always gone to WDW with my kids, until last December. I went solo and had a really nice time. The things I liked were: doing what I wanted when I wanted (for example, going to The Hall of Presidents, which my kids never want to do), taking my time around World Showcase, using an old SLR camera with film to take some cool shots, basically slowly meandering around taking in life. The things I didn't like: the comments about how cool it was to eat alone at Le Cellier (like it was a feat...honestly I felt ok about it until that), the occasional twinge of wishing I was there with a special someone, night time. All in all, I would do it again. So, use the time to figure out what you like by yourself without another's influence...it's kind of eye opening. I had many sit-down meals and enjoyed myself. There was another solo lady at Tony's Restaurant in MK and we "cheers"ed each other with our drinks. :) Have fun!!!! Don't worry.

I really appreciate your response. Hopefully I don't get any "How cool it is to eat alone" comments lol. That'll honestly depress me badly. For how eexpensive Disney is I don't want to feel like crying because of a waiter haha.

And for sure I'll have some twinges of loneliness but I have to keep in mind it's my choice to even do this. I could just not go at all and just avoid anything like but I'd rather not just lose out on the Florida fun.

And of course if I go and feel like it wasn't a great time/great idea then I just don't go again.

I do look forward to the slowly meandering around and taking in life. Just grab a popcorn or dole whip and sit down and take it all in. And hopefully none of those twinges intrude on my fun.

Can I ask what about the night time bothered you?

Definitely because you're choosing it in order to enjoy yourself, you will enjoy yourself. I agree with you, and I did it for the same reason. I actually was super excited to go and I was very happy I went. My kids asked me if I liked it and I told them I really did. Funny enough I went with them after that and we did not have as good of a time, but I think it's because we were trying to juggle everybody's ride preferences and did too much... although I enjoyed their company more than being alone. I'll add that I am ok with being alone in general, I'm a very independent, but the nighttime is sometimes difficult when on vacation or holiday when the daytime busy-ness slows down. I addressed this by journaling my day in a Disney World journal, reading a book, or watching TV. It ended up being just fine. I'm only mentioning so you can have some plans about it, ie bring a book or journal. Ultimately, you will have a blast.

Definitely because you're choosing it in order to enjoy yourself, you will enjoy yourself. I agree with you, and I did it for the same reason. I actually was super excited to go and I was very happy I went. My kids asked me if I liked it and I told them I really did. Funny enough I went with them after that and we did not have as good of a time, but I think it's because we were trying to juggle everybody's ride preferences and did too much... although I enjoyed their company more than being alone. I'll add that I am ok with being alone in general, I'm a very independent, but the nighttime is sometimes difficult when on vacation or holiday when the daytime busy-ness slows down. I addressed this by journaling my day in a Disney World journal, reading a book, or watching TV. It ended up being just fine. I'm only mentioning so you can have some plans about it, ie bring a book or journal. Ultimately, you will have a blast.

Thanks again.

Hey everyone!

So here's my story. I've been to Disney twice, not counting my childhood trip in the early 90's, with my wife in 2020 and 2021.

I was all set to be going back in October of this year with her and her family for a 8 night trip.

But long story short she's about to be my ex wife and a trip with her family isn't in the cards anymore.

So I'd like to still get to have a disney trip even if it's not as soon as originally planned. And even if it's going to be a lonelier experience.

Any tips/advice will be appreciated. Especially about how to make it not feel quite as lonely. :)

Right now I'm eyeing January as a hopefully less busy time to go.

I had a trip planned with friends who then started to get really mean and so I backed out. At that point I really wanted to go still, so I reached out to another friend I had gone on past Disney trips with to see if her family had any planned soon. They did! I explained the situation and then asked if I could join. This is also an option. that being said, I did Disneyland solo and it was the best. I liked taking my time and it's a lot easier to maximize time in the parks as one person instead of a group of 10.

I love my solo trips. Being with friends and family is fun, but it's stressful for me as well. I'm always concerned about whether or not others are enjoying themselves. When it's just me, it's just me I have to worry about. After waiting in a line for ten minutes, I can call and audible and leave for something else without having to discuss it with anyone. I can linger in giftshops for as long or as little as I like, and I don't have people stopping me for bathroom breaks every hour.

I was in line at the old Character Spot in Epcot to get photos with Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. Behind me was a family with two kids, and when they noticed I was alone, they looked at their squirming and restless children and asked if I'd switch spots with them. Is there something special about sharing Disney with others? Yes. Definitely. Is there something special about enjoying it all on your own as well? Absolutely. I hope you have a great time.

Do note that I am an extreme introvert. I go to the movies on my own all the time. Traveling solo was just a natural extension of that.

I love my solo trips. Being with friends and family is fun, but it's stressful for me as well. I'm always concerned about whether or not others are enjoying themselves. When it's just me, it's just me I have to worry about. After waiting in a line for ten minutes, I can call and audible and leave for something else without having to discuss it with anyone. I can linger in giftshops for as long or as little as I like, and I don't have people stopping me for bathroom breaks every hour.

I was in line at the old Character Spot in Epcot to get photos with Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. Behind me was a family with two kids, and when they noticed I was alone, they looked at their squirming and restless children and asked if I'd switch spots with them. Is there something special about sharing Disney with others? Yes. Definitely. Is there something special about enjoying it all on your own as well? Absolutely. I hope you have a great time.

Do note that I am an extreme introvert. I go to the movies on my own all the time. Traveling solo was just a natural extension of that.

Thank you so much.

I used to go to movies etc all the time so time to get back into that mindset.

I was supposed to go for my 30th bday but the whole ex-wife thing happened to me as well. So now I'm going for my 40th, and solo. I don't have any tips or tricks just yet but I'll let you know after the first week of November! You'll have a great time, and just enjoy life how you want to!

I was supposed to go for my 30th bday but the whole ex-wife thing happened to me as well. So now I'm going for my 40th, and solo. I don't have any tips or tricks just yet but I'll let you know after the first week of November! You'll have a great time, and just enjoy life how you want to!
Please do.

I'm turning 40 in November. So my trip will be a late gift to myself. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter