• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photo Printers

Qwackertoo

Mouseketeer
Just got a new digital camera that I really like better than our old one, 3.1 megapixel and want to buy a new photo printer. I did a little research yesterday on the internet and it gets pretty confusing. The Inkjets have come along way as far as resolution but still not photo quality or close enough, then looked at the Dye Sublimation and then the Thermo-Autochrome. Just curious at to what scrapbookers use considering quality and costs OR do you use an online photo service for printing your photos? IF you use an online photo service does anyone know of one that utilizes Fuji's Pictography models? Thanks!!!

I haven't used a printer for digital pictures. I just have a regular ink-jet and I've printed some pictures out on photo paper and from a distance they do look pretty good. I hope the next printer I get will be a true photo quality.

Each time I've been in the market for a printer I just read lots of reviews. If true photo quality is what you want you may look at some photography magazines.

They change so fast it's hard to keep up.

I use an Epson Stylus Photo 1270 and am VERY happy with the printing quality of my photos. I chose this model because it accepts 12 x 12 paper.

I haven't gone digital yet for that very reason. I'm not happy with the photo quality of home printers. I'll have to check out that Epson, momemouse. :)

I don't use my inkjet printer to print my photos. Instead I use Shutterfly and Ofoto. I have been very happy with both services and the quality of the prints. My friends can't tell the difference between my 35 mm and my digital photos.

As far as knowing about Fuji's Pictography models, I don't have a clue. Check out their sites.

I get mine printed at an independent Kodak shop - mine charged me £20 for 178 pictures last week (I went a little crazy in disneyland paris) which us about 11p a print. I thought that was very reasonable. They are printed on Kodak paper so I would expect them to last as long as a kodak print.

Bev

You should look at the Epson Photo 820, 785 EPX and the 1280. They truly are photo quality. To print an 8 1/2 x 11 photo, paper and ink the cost is only around $1.25. You can't go anywhere and get them printed for that price.

The 1280 will print the large sizes. The price of the Photo 820 is only $99 after rebate. The Epsons are nice because they use 6 inks. The prints are also archival. They will last as long as a 35 mm print. The other companies can't say that. The inks are acid free.

Many scrapbookers are using the Epsons.

HP has just released a portable printer for digital photo printing. I got one for my wife for Christmas so we haven't opened it yet. The sample photos that were at the store are photo quality. This printer connects with the camera's memory card so it does not need a computer to print! However, this prints just 4 X 6 photos (which is what my wife uses for scrapbooking mainly anyway). It prints with no border which is a big plus too! Paper is about $15 for 60 4 X 6 photo sheets.
Oh, the printer costs $179.

Thats about all I know right now, after Christmas I will check back in and let ya know how it is.

A 3 mega camera is still not quite enough to do a gorgeous 8-1/2 X 11 but it's not bad. I'm very satisfied with 5 X 7 photos. I've been at this for two years, now. The key to beautiful pics is to have a good camera, printer, and paper. For an inkjet printer you want a 2400 x 1200 dpi resolution. Make sure you print at the highest resolution possible on your printer. Many printers have three print modes; so, you need the BEST one. I prefer Hewlet Packard but dpi is still the key issue. The camera must be at least 3 megapixels. I prefer a Nikon for a camera. Buy photo quality paper. Thicker (higher mil) paper is better.

I'm not in favor of alternative printing modes like sublimation. You are really too limited at this time on suppliers, etc. It's much costlier, too.

I believe very strongly in the next three years this will get better, too. With that said I want to be able to replace what I have without feeling it in the pocket book too much now.

I've done at least 5000 hard copy prints in two years and I still have the same printer.

Another consideration is that it does take a long time to print a full coverage sheet
8-1/2 X 11. Buying a faster printer will help this to go a little better.

A 3 mega pixel camera will give a beautiful 8x10 photo. People can't tell with my Epson when they are done with my inkjet or I have them developed.

Epsons use 6 inks, HP only uses 4. Also the Epson uses the black ink in a color picture where HP turns off the black and mixes their colors to make a black. It is not a true black.

The other thing to keep in mind is it is probably more important , is the size of the ink droplets. Smaller ink droplets produce a sharper, clearer picture. Again Epson has the smallest.

Especially for achival purposes you want your photos to last. Epsons will last longer than the competition.

The printers from several years ago pale in comparison to the newer printers offered by most companies.

The printouts at 1440dpi on the Epsons are great, very few people can see the difference between 1440 and 2880. The first number is more important that the second.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter