Perfect size of retirement house

I have been retired for ten years. I live in a 1250 sf ranch condo. It has two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a full basement, attached two car garage, first floor laundry and a nice sized master bedroom (with a master bath) and walk-in closet. It is perfect for me. It isn’t one size fits all. I have one son who is single and doesn’t have any children. If I had family visiting from out of town or a half dozen grandchildren, this might not work for me.

Good luck planning your retirement home!

We want a 3 BR/3Bath, around 2200-2500 square feet. We'd like one of the secondary bedrooms to be oversized, so it could double as a study/guest room. Huge kitchen (as part of a kitchen/dining/living room open space) and master bath with big closets are the main things I want. DH wants a 3 car garage. Wide doorways and one story, for the later years. Right now, our house is just under 4000 square feet and that is much more than we need.

NO one can decide the size but YOU.
do think about 1 level NO STEPS an extra wide doorways distance between things in bathroom. I know a couple who allotted for everything the distance between tub sink an toilet an can not get past bathroom sink to get to toilet with walker. Not only look at getting to toilet an sink etc with walker but also allow for room to turn wheelchair around once you are there.

From having a friend that was in a wheelchair full time I know when the VA assisted him with remodeling his home for him the bathroom had to be at least 5 foot wide in front to toilet sink and shower. His bedroom had to have an outside exit that he could get out with his wheelchair. I think ramps and sidewalks had to be 5 ft wide LOT of expense like 80,000 to make his home handicapped friendly but it was worth it to be comfortable in his home.

My home right now is pretty close to being handicapped friendly but the master bath will never be handicapped friendly. It is 1400 sf 3 beds 2 baths with an attached 2 car garage and an inground pool that takes up almost all of the backyard. DH is not using walker yet but we are not able to keep the house pool and yard up as it needs to be kept. It is just to much for us yet DH is not yet willing to give up.

Myself the hardest thing for me to give up will be the 2 car attached garage....all condos in my area with garages are either detached garages or attached to a townhouse with bedrooms upstairs neither an option for me.

Personally if I was downsizing I would go 1500 or less. I'd go with a great room open floor plan with 3 bedrooms, one of which functioned as a guest room and the other a den/guestroom combo. I would not get a powder room (don't have one now either) because it's just another bathroom to clean and you don't need one with a single story.

We live in 1800 and now that our kids are no longer here we really don't NEED the space and are already trying to simplify rather than just accumulating because we have room. For example we have both a family room and living room which was great with kids, but not needed with the two of us. We'll stay here until/unless we have to move into a senior leveled care community because it is a ranch and very friendly accessibility wise. However, if I was moving I'd definitely go smaller and try to get rid of a bunch of STUFF.

(I'm in the process of cleaning out my parent's house of about 2200 sq ft. so that definitely colors my opinion.)

Last edited:
I want an open living, dining, and kitchen that is big enough to host holidays and that I love cooking in. I want my dream master bedroom and bathroom and I want 2 small guest rooms, big enough for the future grandkids to be comfortable but small enough where my kids won’t want to move back home.

If 2,000 is your downsizing house what is your kids at home house. My house is 1,100 and I’ll have 2 rooms that never get used when my daughter move out. Couldn’t imagine needing 2,000.
Yeah, 2,000 square feet is a pretty big house in most areas, clearly a family home.
Our house was 1756, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths when we bought it. We added on 25 years ago and it is now 2010 square feet 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths.
We weighed the options 6 years ago and decided to remodel our family home into our retirement home. Easier and cheaper than moving, cheaper than paying 10's of thousands of dollars in realtor commissions. So we have some empty rooms, but we have more money in the bank. We've been in the house 36 years now, hope to retire within 2 years. Hope I live long enough to break my mom's record of 53 years in the same house.

Not sure about house size, but I would like an elevated dishwasher, so I don’t have to bend down so far.

Our "retirement" home is 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2,600 s.f. What was important to us, however, is that it is on one level and at some future point in time it will be really easy to move the washer/dryer from the basement to the first floor if we can't do the stairs anymore. We live in a vacation destination (lakes region of NH) on a lake and near mountains and have quite a bit of company - in fact we have friends visiting now that are avid skiers - and we wanted to make sure we had plenty of room for friends and family to visit comfortably.

We have 1240 sq ft in our Florida retirement home. That plus 300 sq ft of screened lanai overlooking a lake. It's a 2 bed, 2 bath with a 1 1/2 car garage (fits a car and golf cart).

We’re getting ready to pick plans and build our retirement/aging in place home. What do you think is the perfect size?
Ummmmm, whatever size you need for your lifestyle???

For example, is family going to come over for Christmas or Easter or whatever? Are you going to need a guest room or a formal dining room? An office? How are your knees; would a ranch be better than two floors? Do you like to clean, or can you afford to hire cleaners? If not, you'd want less space, right?

Right now my house is raised bungalow. Each floor is about 1700 square feet.

Main floor includes open concept kitchen/living room, separate formal dining room, master bedroom with en-suite and second bedroom which we use as a office and another full bathroom plus laundry room. If it was just me and Dh this would be the perfect amount of space and I wouldn’t even need the lower level at all once the kids were gone.

Lower level includes a large rec room/family room, four more bedrooms and a full bath plus lots of extra storage areas. This set up is PERFECT for us now with older kids (19,16,12) they have their own area. It’s so perfect however they might not want to move out lol.

I’d like to keep this house as I would love to have the extra space and bedrooms for guests, future grand kids ect, however my dh is set on selling and downsizing once the kids are gone. We live in the frozen north and he says once we retire he’d like to own a small place here for the summer months and maybe a condo or something down south for the winter months. We shall see where life takes us in the next 10-15 years or so......

Thanks, everyone.

We’ll be empty nesters around the time the house is finished and planning to stay in the house through retirement. I think we’re both having a hard time wrapping our minds around what that will look like so it’s helpful to hear what works for everyone else.

We are building right now and moving into our sort of retirement home hopefully in June.

We are building a craftsman bungalow. The first floor is just under 2000 square feet. It has two bedrooms with a walk in closet in the master, two full bathrooms, an open kitchen & great room area, formal dining area, laundry room, guest coat closet, family coat closet, and an office/den. We have a 500 square foot deck off the great room and 340 square feet of the deck is under cover. The dining room is open to the great room area, but it was important to me as I like large family formal dinners at the holidays and during the winter we throw small formal dinner parties for friends. It also could be make into a sitting room if desired.

We have a lower level walkout that is partially finished which is an additional 1100 square feet. There are two bedrooms, a full bath, a wet bar, and a large media/family room on this level. It walks out to a 650 square foot patio that has 450 feet under cover. This is our casual entertaining area.

This is well under half the square feet of the house we lived in for almost 30 years while we were raising our family. We are very excited to move into something smaller. We like that most of the time we will be living in the upper area, but have space if we want to throw a larger party and can have people both indoors and outdoors.

We have about 1300 sq feet. The house is perfect, but we do wish we had a garage! We bought the home 21 years ago with my sister and used it as a vacation home. It was perfect, and two years ago we settled with my DSIS, and we retired here.

It’s on two levels, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths and a loft. Tom uses the loft as his man cave, I use a bedroom as my she shack, and the upstairs bedroom has a double bed and a single for guests.

I have loved the layout since we bought the house. For those of you familiar with DVC, I have always considered it our very own Grand Villa. It is not a stand alone house, it is one unit of a quad.

We have a single parking pad for our car, other car stays on street, or on a neighbors pad during bad weather. Best of all, we have a 600 gallon pond in out tiny front yard.

We are lucky to be in Cape May NJ.

Bobbi

We just bought our "forever" house in December. It's 1500 sq ft single level, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large open kitchen/dining/living room with an attached 1.5 car garage, deck built around a 24" above ground pool. The house is set back in the woods on 23 acres with a .25 mile long driveway. There is also a pond with wild birds coming and going. It's darn near perfect for us.

The house we sold had 2800 sq feet (three bedrooms, two and a half baths). Our retirement abode is about 1800 sq ft, three bedrooms, two bathrooms. We got rid of a whole bunch of stuff when we moved and we are still kind of crowded in the newer house. We have a two car garage (but only one car), so we can keep our lawnmower, bikes, etc in the garage. Plus it has elevated storage space for decorations and other stuff we don't need very often. Our old house had seven large closets, large linen cabinet (double sided, full wall sized), large pantry and a storage shed outside. Our new house has three closets, small linen closet, small pantry. I miss my big closets.

You could probably fit all three of my new bedrooms in my old master bedroom. Our three bedrooms in the old house were huge.

We are one level, attached garage, inground pool with screened lanai (heated so we can use it 12 months out of the year) and we are 1.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We do have a few steps up into the house at the front door to meet code requirements for building here in SW Florida. Our front door is about ten feet above sea level.

This winter we wore long pants for one week. Rest of the time is shorts or swimsuits.

We do have hurricane shutters on most windows and doors; remaining doors and windows are hurricane doors/windows. Garage door is hurricane rated.

My laundry room is in the house with a utility sink. Many of the smaller/less expensive houses have laundry set up in the garage. I'm wasn't going to do laundry in the garage during Florida summers.

Last edited:
The perfect retirement home for us would be very similar to what Mermaid posted.
Single level, 1500 sq ft with open kitchen/living/dining and 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on 20+ acres with a stream, pond or even better on a lake. I don't mind small bedrooms and bathrooms in order to have larger living space.
We'd prefer a detached 2 garage with a workshop for dh.

The perfect retirement home for us would be very similar to what Mermaid posted.
Single level, 1500 sq ft with open kitchen/living/dining and 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on 20+ acres with a stream, pond or even better on a lake. I don't mind small bedrooms and bathrooms in order to have larger living space.
We'd prefer a detached 2 garage with a workshop for dh.

We are probably going to build DH a workshop/man cave so he can display all of his military awards and perhaps do some gunsmith work on the side!

We’re getting ready to pick plans and build our retirement/aging in place home. What do you think is the perfect size?

There is no perfect size!! It's whatever is a good 'fit' for you. Dh & I built a 3,000 sq ft. home and it is perfect for us and we 'use' all of it, except for two bedrooms that are strictly guest rooms. Have 4 bedrooms, but one is an 'anything' room for me, and dh has his 'man cave' in the large bonus room. Master is on first floor.

We love it and it's mostly maintenance free - we made sure, as that was a #1 priority. All outdoor 'wood' is not wood - including deck, soffits, etc. Have a large 28'x40' enclosed barn for motorhome, shop, and yard mower, etc. We love to travel.

Have 2 1/2 acres so we can garden - I have to have flower gardens! Have cut down on veggie gardens for now. Over an acre is woods with stream.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter