Peanuts on airplanes

crashbb

DIS Veteran
There is a discussion on the Transportation Board about food on airplanes and people have brought up the fact that peanut butter sandwiches (the OPs first idea) are not a great idea due to allergies. Others mentioned announcements being made regarding not eating any PB food on the flight.

What I couldn't remember (and I'm sure its been discussed here, just cannot find it) is whether or not the airline can enforce this. I know that they can make the announcement and not serve any peanut snacks, but can they stop everyone in the plane from eating peanuts (or other allergens) they brought on board?

Not a debate about whether they should or not, I'm asking about the actual law.

Thanks.

I don't know specifics of law, but I do know that not complying with the instructions of flight personnel is a violation of Federal Law (for safety reasons). Given that, my guess is that whether or not it is against the law might depend on whether the flight attendant has asked people to not eat anything with peanuts or told them to not eat anything with peanuts on that flight.

Hopefully someone who has more specifics will be along soon.

My DS has allergies to food items. Peanuts is one of the things ironically he is not allergic to. However sesame seeds causes my son to have severe breathing problems.
I was on a plane & I was asked not to give my DS anymore almonds as someone on the plane may be allergic to nuts. This made me a bit angry as a lap child in front of us was waving a crumbling sesame breadstick as we spoke. However, I have learned my lesson & I do not bring any nuts in any of my carry-on bags for the comfort of others.
We were told at the begining of a connecting flight that no nuts would be premitted on the plane & we should check our carry-ons to make sure no nuts were in our bags. I, of course, had a bag full to keep DS quiet for the trip. I had nut bars & trail mixes & no way to put it in a checked bag. It wasn't like I could just buy him something in the airport because of his allergies. It was a mess.
I don't know exactly what the laws are at the moment but, I forsee a future where eating on a plane or bus will be forbidden.

Having just travelled to WDW with a school group, with at least one diabetic child in the group, I don't know how they would be able to meet the needs of all people with disabilities on a flight - what if the diabetic child needed to eat something with protein, and his only snack was peanut butter crackers? Would the airline have something else on board for the child to eat? What if that child had food allergies as well? Having worked in public school systems for over 12 years, I've seen children with conflicting disabilities - and it was tricky getting their needs met in a school, never mind on a plane!

I think Sue has hit the nail on the head. If the airline asks people not to eat it and someone says that they need to eat it - I think the airline will sometimes remove that passenger from the plane and put them on another flight. It really depends on the airline. They might remove the person with allergies to another flight. I would guess that people do not have the right to eat anything/anywhere.

Sometimes they will move the two groups far apart on the plane so that it is not an issue. It is very rare for someone to get a reaction from the air - especially just from one person eating a PB sandwich. A whole plane opening up bags of peanuts is another issue.

My younger DS happens to be a type 1 diabetic AND touch allergic to peanuts - and allergic to nuts. A diabetic does not need peanut butter for a protein snack. Really....that sort of thing is old school - based on issues with old insulins. I know drs. will still teach their patients this but the newer thinking is that it is better to correct with tabs/glucose. If the person has really overdosed themselves with insulin and needs to eat a lot - MILK is a great option - with some cookies or something else. Honestly...they could just get a can of soda or some juice and have more than enough carbs to keep up their blood sugar in most cases. I'm sure there is enough soda on the airplane to keep anyone's blood sugar up for days.

There is an excellent peanut allergy board at http://www.peanutallergy.com - they have a specific board for Airlines. I think if you ask the ? there you might get an answer on whether an airline can lawfully prohibit someone from eating a certain item on an airplane.

This issue ALWAYS ends up being a NASTY subject here on the Disboards. If you think the threads bashing people with hidden disabilities are bad (like for needing a W/C but the need isn't obvious...oh...and those abusers get FOTL access!!! Get the torches!!!:rolleyes: ) ....just wait! Good luck with that Sue!:headache:

South west states on there sites that if a person has a peanut allergy they will not sever peanuts. They also state that if a person was really allergic that a first flight in the morning was the best flight because thay clean them at night. I'd check with the airline. If my kid was really allergic I'd drive if possible even a 30 hour drive is justifiable.

Okay, did some googling.

According to www.foodallergy.org, airlines cannot guarantee a peanut free flight. Airlines can ask passengers to refrain from eating peanuts but it is not an order (i.e. eating peanuts does not invoke the FAA rule of disobeying the flight attendants).

I know that I used to often bring peanuts as my "plane snack" - I have multiple food allergies/intolerances and peanuts are a great snack for me. I just didn't think about those with allergies (my food issues require ingestion, so I didn't think about 'air contamination'. I have stopped doing so - actually I've stopped eating peanuts as snacks when I'm out in general (still a great snack at home/office), since peanut dust seems to get everywhere. I've never been on a flight where they've made an announcement about not eating peanuts, but I'd rather not risk it.

As a person who clean planes for a living, I will give you the following advice: Fly in the morning, as early as possible. This will give you the best chance at getting a plane that will have spent the night at the airport and so, employees usually have the time to do a complete cleaning of the aircraft. The airline I work for only serves peanuts on certain international flights in business class only.

I had to call 911 in May because my dad was having a stroke. I rode in the ambulance with him to ER (it was only 4 blocks away so I could walk back home).

They had me get in the front seat. I waited quite awhile (or so it seemed) while they were stabilizing him in the back.

But right up in area between the two seats was a big bag of opened peanuts. I'm glad I hadn't called for a peanut allergy reaction.

We were told at the begining of a connecting flight that no nuts would be premitted on the plane & we should check our carry-ons to make sure no nuts were in our bags. I, of course, had a bag full to keep DS quiet for the trip. I had nut bars & trail mixes & no way to put it in a checked bag. It wasn't like I could just buy him something in the airport because of his allergies. It was a mess.

So, what was the final outcome? Did they let you bring the nuts on for your son's disability? Or did you have to take another flight? Or what? You've got me curious now!

I don't know exactly what the laws are at the moment but, I forsee a future where eating on a plane or bus will be forbidden.

I don't think that will ever happen (depriving people of the essential need of food - they won't be able to remove the restrooms to keep the weight of the plane down, either), but I forsee a future where planes no longer provide any food or drink because of "gas prices"! :sad2:

I have had a variety of experiences (I fly almost weekly the entire year). At least a half dozen times a year I encounter someone with a nut allergy while flying.

Air Canada didn't announce until the plane was in the air on several flights, but did serve some on board snacks.

United several times has not announced until the plane is in the air, and several times didn't serve any of their snack boxes as all have items processed in a facility which processes nuts.

Luftansa refused to tell 250 passengers on an 11 hour flight that they could not eat anything with nuts. Ironically, LH owns the largest worldwide catering service and could have revised the catering had they had advance notice. But nut allergies are not common outside the US, and the international airlines are less likely to make accommodation for an individual. In this case the passenger was told that there would not be a change in the catering, nor would other passengers be told what they could or could not eat, and as the passenger had failed to make advance arrangements with the airline they could fly another day if they chose not to take the risk.

In each case there was no announcement made in the gate area. On most flights, the passenger advised the FA either during boarding or after takeoff, which is of course too late for people to make other plans.

I am a veggie, take medication regularly for a chronic illness (and take it with food). I find it very difficult to purchase food in America which is travel ready and is not processed in a facility with nuts (granola bars, trail mix, seed bars, etc). Cookies in the airport are often made with lard and I don't eat chips. I also travel with preclearance which strictly prohibits bringing food across borders, hence I have to buy my snacks in the terminal.

I will not eat any items with nuts if the announcement is made, but I always request here that those with allergies ensure that the airline makes the announcement in the gate area before boarding, so that people can plan ahead.

It is very challenging to be on a 6 hour flight as a second flight of the day, and to be told after takeoff that nothing processed in a facility with nuts can be eaten, and that the airline will not be serving ANY of their snack boxes.

The best course of action for all concerned (all passengers, the person with the allergy, and the airline) is to announce in the gate area and give other passengers the ability to prepare for the situation. Making an announcement at 25,000 feet is not proactive, and only serves to cause more tension.

I think Sue has hit the nail on the head. If the airline asks people not to eat it and someone says that they need to eat it - I think the airline will sometimes remove that passenger from the plane and put them on another flight. It really depends on the airline. They might remove the person with allergies to another flight.

If there is a dog on board ie a service animal, and another passenger has an allergy, the allergic passenger will be the one who will told to take an alternate flight. (at least in the US)

Ever since the last time this topic came up and I was flamed soundly (for posting what I posted above) I have been reading labels even more than usual, trying to find food in America that I can take on the plane.

Here is the challenge. In Germany peanuts are not usually considered with sweet foods, so few chocolate bars have peanuts. Now think about how many American chocolate bars have nuts! (I don't like American chocolate so it is not on my list) Now read the back of a granola bar, or a seed bar, and the majority made in America warn about having been processed in a facility with nuts. I don't know if this is a blanket statement that manufacturers now make to protect themselves, but I see this everywhere!

It really is difficult to find something; if I find plain pita chips, I will buy those. But definitely a challenge, and I welcome any ideas!

It is very challenging to be on a 6 hour flight as a second flight of the day, and to be told after takeoff that nothing processed in a facility with nuts can be eaten, and that the airline will not be serving ANY of their snack boxes.

I highlighted that point in your post - is that really the case? That "may contains" or "processed in a facility" items were removed from being served? That really amazes me! As allergic as my son is to peanuts I think the danger of him coming into contact with someone's "may contain" item is not an issue. I would not let HIM eat it - but I don't care if everyone else on the plane was eating "processed in a facility that handles nuts" items. I think the airline people were just overboard with that. I would never ask or expect for them to remove the may contains type items from being served. :confused3

It is really peanuts that are the problem *mostly* for those who are touch or airborne allergic. Most people would even actually have to eat the tree nut to react to it. I always bring my son a safe snack (our flights have been short) - I really bring quite a bit cause he is also a type 1 diabetic - just in case we get stuck on the plane.

Maybe you can question the airline about the "may contains" issue again? I really don't understand that.

I highlighted that point in your post - is that really the case? That "may contains" or "processed in a facility" items were removed from being served? That really amazes me! As allergic as my son is to peanuts I think the danger of him coming into contact with someone's "may contain" item is not an issue. I would not let HIM eat it - but I don't care if everyone else on the plane was eating "processed in a facility that handles nuts" items. I think the airline people were just overboard with that. I would never ask or expect for them to remove the may contains type items from being served. :confused3

It is really peanuts that are the problem *mostly* for those who are touch or airborne allergic. Most people would even actually have to eat the tree nut to react to it. I always bring my son a safe snack (our flights have been short) - I really bring quite a bit cause he is also a type 1 diabetic - just in case we get stuck on the plane.

Maybe you can question the airline about the "may contains" issue again? I really don't understand that.

For the flights over the last year on United, yes, they did say that... and so have people reported on Flyertalk.com. That makes it much more difficult, as you can imagine. So much is labelled as such in America, even if it does not contain nuts.

I think that UA is doing the 'worst case scenario' now, or they have had a passenger claim legal action, or something similar.

I read people saying 'deal with it - two hours without peanuts is not a tragedy'. But I am not talking abour 2 hours, nor I am talking about not just peanuts. Sometimes people on this site have a small frame of reference because the site is Disney oriented. They don't think about trips to other destinations, or international flights.

A flight of 4 or 6 hours, often after another set of flights, where one cannot eat anything made in a facility that processes nuts is quite different than 2 hours without peanuts.

Again, I would not defy the request, but the request is extremely difficult to impose on passengers at the last minute ie when the flight is already in the air.

I don't have an answer as to how to best deal with it if one does have allergies. But right now I don't think that passengers or the airline always handle it the best way possible.

I highlighted that point in your post - is that really the case? That "may contains" or "processed in a facility" items were removed from being served? That really amazes me! As allergic as my son is to peanuts I think the danger of him coming into contact with someone's "may contain" item is not an issue. I would not let HIM eat it - but I don't care if everyone else on the plane was eating "processed in a facility that handles nuts" items. I think the airline people were just overboard with that.
In one case this year at least it was the passenger who insisted on it. I was sitting next to the galley and heard her board and talk to the purser. She had not given ANY advance warning, and the purser called the GA and CSR to come talk to her. The pilot also came out.

The passenger had a peanut allergy, was an adult at least in her 30's, and insisted that NO nuts or products processed with nuts be served. UA serves hot nut mix in F which are guaranteed peanut free. She was not satisfied with that. She also insisted all buy on board be suspended because every box has one item made in a facility that has items with nuts.

I did speak up after she was seated, and told the purser that I am veggie. My veg meal hadn't been loaded; to their credit the crew tried to find me anything which didn't have the warning - the pilot even offered me his roast beef sandwich (a very kind if not possible offer)

Sometimes I do think that there has to be reasonable boundaries, and certainly this passenger had high expectations considering that she gave no advance warning and made that request. Again, she herself stated that she had a peanut allergy, not a tree nut or other allergy.

But nut allergies are not common outside the US, and the international airlines are less likely to make accommodation for an individual.
Sorry but nut allergies are VERY common in Europe, in England after several deaths restaurants / cafes stopped serving peanuts and now everything has to be clearly labled.
Virgin Atlantic do not serve any Peanuts on its flights, and they ask you not to bring any onboard too. Every time I have flown the Captain has made an anouncment before the plane took off that there was a passenger with an airborn allergy to Peanuts and that if you have bought something on board containing them, please do not eat it.
Thanks to Virgin being so carefull I have never had a problem.
Virgin say that with a nut allergy your booking goes through special needs, so they do know about it before you fly.

We have often discussed this on flyertalk.com and the incidence in mainland Europe is far lower than in America, as is the awareness. In Germany peanuts are a savoury item, not a sweet, and are thus consumed far less than in America. I believe that tree nut allergies are actually more common there than peanut allergies, albeit it still fare.

My experience with international carriers is that they are far less likely to impose restrictions on the majority, as I outlined in my LH example. Many international carriers do state their inability to guarantee nut free flights on their websites. The FAs on this LH flight had mostly not even heard of the concept of 'peanut allergy'.

I am not against limiting peanuts on the flight if need be, but I do think that the passenger needs to take some responsbility.

Showing up 2 hours before an 11 hour flight and demanding that no nuts be served on board without any prior advisement to the airline is not I think reasonable responsibility, in my example.

Remember, passengers can also choose to remove themselves from a flight before takeoff, if need be. I have done that several times when I feel that my medical needs are preventing me from safely flying.

Airlines can also prevent passengers from flying. I have also been approached by ground crew asking if I am fit to fly that day.

I need to ask this, and I absolutly mean no offense(I really want to know). How is a premade pbj a danger to someone several feet away, it's not like peanutbutter can be airborne, it is fairly thick and sticky(not dusty like whole peanuts). I am a preschool teacher and have over the years had several students with peanut(as well as others like wheat, milk, egg etc)allergies, the only accomadation we have had to make is to make sure any kids with peanutbutter sandwiches(crackers) are not seated next to the kids with the allergy, and ofcourse to clean well(but that should be regardless) and make sure our little ones don't share.

Some people with a peanut allergy have to eat them to have a reaction, others only have to smell peanut to react, and a PB&J does smell.

Virgin Atlantic do not serve any Peanuts on its flights, and they ask you not to bring any onboard too. Every time I have flown the Captain has made an anouncment before the plane took off that there was a passenger with an airborn allergy to Peanuts and that if you have bought something on board containing them, please do not eat it.
Thanks to Virgin being so carefull I have never had a problem.
Virgin say that with a nut allergy your booking goes through special needs, so they do know about it before you fly.

I read Virgin's peanut statement, outlined below
Anyone who has an allergy to nuts must contact our Special Assistance Department.

We recognise the seriousness of a nut allergy and need to assess each passenger on an individual basis to ascertain suitability for travel. This will include asking you to complete a form to confirm that the steps we take are sufficient to minimise the risk of reaction.

Virgin Atlantic does not offer nut free flights. You should be aware that nuts are served on all Virgin flights to other passengers as part of the menu ingredients in all cabins and with regard to the Upper Class cabin as part of the drinks service also. If you are travelling in Upper Class, we can arrange for an alternative nut friendly snack to be served during the drinks service and we require 5 working days notice to arrange this.

A nut friendly meal will be requested. Whilst no nuts or nut derivatives will be used in the preparation of this meal, it will not be produced in a nut free environment and may therefore contain traces of nuts. In light of this, customers may prefer to provide their own food.

Some passengers bring food on board with them which may include nuts or nut related products. Therefore, it is possible that residues of peanut and other nut oils may be passed onto the upholstery and other surfaces, or circulated via the air conditioning systems.

Going back to crashbb's OP, I actually think that Virgin makes it very clear that they cannot guarantee a nut free flight, nor will them prevent passengers from eating nuts on board, nor does it sound as if they are willing to change the catering arrangements for other passengers.

Most international carriers serve Asian veg meals (that is my standing order in my profile) Many of those are made with peanut oil. In fact, Cathay specific points this out

Their policy is lengthy so I will not quote all of it here, but it is on their website

Peanut Allergy
Cathay Pacific Airways acknowledges that some passengers may have allergic reactions to peanuts which can be life threatening. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee a peanut-free environment to passengers and guests either in our aircraft cabins or airport lounges.

Peanut-free meals
Cathay Pacific Airways serves meals where peanut based products may be an ingredient, and cannot guarantee against accidental cross-contamination of peanut products within the network flight kitchens during catering production. This is because peanut-based ingredients, peanut oil and non-specified peanut containing trace elements are widely used throughout Asia Pacific. Peanut snacks are also an integral part of the Cathay Pacific service. In view of this, it is with regret that Cathay Pacific Airways cannot guarantee against accidental cross-contamination of peanut products within the inflight-catering network, and therefore cannot provide peanut-free meals.

Peanut-free cabin
Cathay Pacific Airways cannot guarantee a peanut free aircraft cabin because we are unable to stop passengers from bringing their own peanut products onboard, and cannot insist that they do not open or eat them. Further, residual peanut products may be left in aisles, common areas or on seats from one flight to the next.

For practical reasons Cathay Pacific regrets that it is unable to provide completely peanut-free meals or give an absolute guarantee to provide a peanut free environment onboard our aircraft. We are also unable to modify the cabin environment due to individual passenger request. We encourage passengers to consider the possibility of exposure when flying especially if they accept in-flight snack or meal services.

I just want to ensure that readers understand that international carriers are less likely than US based carriers to make accommodations such as telling passengers that they cannot eat any nut products, etc

Also keep in mind that on international flights there is a liklihood of passengers not understanding the announcment not to eat nuts, or may be sleeping during the announcement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter