• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passport Card vs Passport Book?

TiggerBouncy

DIS Veteran
I just renewed by passport and since it was only a few extra dollars, I went ahead and got both a book and a card.

My understanding is that the card works for sea ports. However, I read on Cruise Critic that they recommend taking along your book in case there is a problem / emergency and you have to fly home.

Anyone have any experience using their passport card vs their book? Do I need to bring both, or can I just bring my card? I don't know that I care about stamps since I have already been to all these ports and it's just a 3 day to Nassau and Castaway Key, I don't see flying home from Castaway. :-)

The book is nice to have just in case of an emergency such as you mentioned.
That being said, I use the card as I find it much more convenient to carry with me and have had no issues.

You can't fly with the card; you'd need the book. And maybe you'll have to fly home from Nassau. :)

I just renewed by passport and since it was only a few extra dollars, I went ahead and got both a book and a card.

My understanding is that the card works for sea ports. However, I read on Cruise Critic that they recommend taking along your book in case there is a problem / emergency and you have to fly home.

Anyone have any experience using their passport card vs their book? Do I need to bring both, or can I just bring my card? I don't know that I care about stamps since I have already been to all these ports and it's just a 3 day to Nassau and Castaway Key, I don't see flying home from Castaway. :-)

We have both as well but use the book. You cannot fly using the Passport card and if you ended up having to fly home from a port for any reason you want to have that book.

Same here, I have both and my Bahamas cruise is set in 17 days. I'm gonna be using the passport card but bring the book just in case for emergencies and I want to try to get it stamped in Nassau :)

We don't bother with the card because of what they said above. You can't fly with the card, so if you are a "better safe than sorry" person like us, you get the book. But once you get the book, there really is no need for the card. Sure the card is smaller, but you don't need to carry a passport during most cruises. You only need it for embarkation/debarkation. The rest of the time it sits in the safe. So paying for the passport card is pointless since you only need a license at the ports, which you already have.

We also have both. We use the passport book whenever we cruise. DH intends to use his passport card for ID purposes to fly domestically when TSA doesn't allow AZ state drivers license unless you get the Travel ID add on. But that's another story.

Anyway, the passport card is only intended to be used when crossing the borders of Mexico and Canada by land. It doesn't work when you try to fly internationally. If you have the book, it is more powerful.

I wish we got both card and book for my oldest daughter 2 yrs ago. Now she's 18, needs the ID to fly anywhere (including within the US), and is nowhere near getting her license yet. So the passport book is her only form of ID. I don't want to pay for a state ID right now. (I'd rather she got her license!) Now I know...once my youngest needs to renew her passport at 16, I'll get her both!

However, I read on Cruise Critic that they recommend taking along your book in case there is a problem / emergency and you have to fly home.

This is true. If the reason for cruising with a Passport is “just in case” for emergencies, the card does nothing. You cannot fly home with a Passport Card even if you have been issued a Passport Book that is at home.

If you are only using the Passport for convenience of traveling without your birth certificates, and you are ok with the risk of “emergency” flying home, then the Passport Card is fine for a cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yeah, I should note I got the card for other reasons as well, and as I mentioned it's only a few extra $. I was just curious since we will be packing for our next cruise if I should bother bringing the card and just bring the book, or both. It sounds like the book has to come in any case, and the card doesn't add any value except maybe that it's easier to access when coming back in to the states at port.

Thank you for the opinions all!

I wish we got both card and book for my oldest daughter 2 yrs ago. Now she's 18, needs the ID to fly anywhere (including within the US), and is nowhere near getting her license yet. So the passport book is her only form of ID. I don't want to pay for a state ID right now. (I'd rather she got her license!) Now I know...once my youngest needs to renew her passport at 16, I'll get her both!

I totally understand. My DD finally got her license before we left for our cruise and she turns 18 this week. Just because she has her license, certainly doesn't mean she's actually driving (doesn't want to). She had her permit for nearly a year and I made her get that just so she at least had some sort of ID. I refused to buy her a separate state ID as well. I remember when I became old enough to drive, I couldn't wait to get my license. Now it seems teens these days aren't as excited. They have it too good with Mom driving them around everywhere. ;)

I also bring both and leave one in the safe. If one of your parties loses there passport you can always go back to the ship and get the other iD and reboard. You can akways report lost later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter