Parks w/ 7 yo

sheilap

Mouseketeer
We'll be doing all the Disney parks plus Universal in Jan. w/ DD who just turned 7 (Dec. 26). The last time we went was when she was 5, so it was a no-brainer to use a stroller. I'm afraid that we are right on the edge this time...she's probably too old to rent a stroller, but probably too young to expect her to walk all day. PLEASE don't flame me, but has anybody used a rental stroller for a 7 yo? I don't want to start a big debate about stroller usage...just asking a question.

THanks!

I would say start the day out without a stroller and see how it goes. All kids are different, my boys didn't need strollers when they were 7 but we'll see with my daughter. LOL

Thanks - I think that's what I might do. I *think* a stroller is about $6, so I'll just figure it into the budget.

Where in MI are you? We are in Holland (near Grand Rapids). We'll be in WDW on the 18th...can't wait!

Hi sheilap,

We're in Holland too!! We just went to WDW the week after Thanksgiving and if I recall correctly, the strollers were $7 plus a $1 deposit that's refunded as a Disney dollar when you return the stroller. We have a 6-1/2 year old DD who managed a couple of days without a stroller (the second day was MGM, which is a considerably smaller park than the others), but by the third day she needed a stroller early in the day. It proved to be a good investment. Be sure to save your rental receipt if you plan to park hop so you can get a stroller at the next park at no extra charge. Have a wonderful trip!!:D :D

My son managed a full days around the parks when he was 6 1/2 but I know many kids that wouldn't. I don't drive so he was used to walking at a fairly young age. He slept really well too!

We were right on the edge at age 7 too. My son did manage the parks without a stroller, but we were prepared to rent one (especially for Epcot) if necessary.

He's a big kid-- looked like a 10 year old at age 7-- but we decided we knew what he needed better than some stranger would. Don't give it a second thought if you decide to rent one. Everyone deserves to tour the parks in comfort.

Have a wonderful trip! :)

By the end of a day walking that parks, I'M inclined to want to jump into a stroller! Better to be safe than sorry I say! ENJOY!

I think only you can decide that. I mean you know your child better than anyone else could and all children are different. We did 7 days worth (not all in a row- we had a day of doing nothing mixed in there also, plus a day or two before and after of not as much walking doing other things) of walking the parks (DisneyWorld -4 days.. Universal Studios/Islands of Adv- 3 days) with my 8 (almost 9)yr old, just turned 5yr old and 2yr old. Only the 2yr old was ever in the stroller and since we drove we just brought hers along so we didn't have to pay rental every day. My son was fine with it. We rode lots of rides (where he got to sit down) and some he couldn't ride (so we were sitting waiting on the other parent/child doing the parent switchover thing) and we had regular "rest" times for snacks or a meal or see a show or something. I was very organized and had it all planned out where there was never a really long period of walking/standing going on.
Only once, at the end of the day, did my son say he was tired of walking and DH just popped him on his shoulders. But then, as I said... all children are different and my 5yr old son is rather small for his age- not huge like some 5yr old boys can be.
We would have gotten a double stroller while there if he'd acted like the walking was too much for him. But he didn't.. probably because he's hyper as all get out and wasn't the least bit tired from all the walking. Every child is different. :)
If I were you- I'd do like you said... work the $$ into the budget but just see how it goes. If you end up NOT needing the stroller that would be great too. Parking the stroller in certain areas and taking all things out of it that we wouldn't want stolen (camcorder/money/etc) for every ride even if my youngest couldn't ride the ride (doing parent switchover thing with my other 2 children) was a major pain in the butt. Let me tell you. LOL

Maybe it's cuz my 7 yr old is my oldest, but I have every intention of using a stroller. Since my youngest will turn 3 at the end of MArch I am just still used to the convenience of a stroller. We will be going with my mom so each adult will be pushing one. We just take an umbrella stroller. You can buy one from 10-20 dollars and use it anywhere and when you get to the parks you don't have to wait to rent one or return it . I find it easier to walk pushing one than not (that may just be out of habit). Maybe I'm weird I don't know. Also you have a place to put all your stuff, video camera, still camera, jackets, souveniers etc.

My 8yr old DS couldn't make the walk through the parks all day
and we ended up renting him a stroller. He wasn't the least
bit hesitant about jumping in one!!

Like everyone said, some kids need/want the stroller, some don't. I took my DGD at 6yrs & again this year when she was almost 8. She wouldn't use the stroller either time. She acted like I was crazy to even mention it....we were there for longish trips too. She's funny though, for the last few years, she acts like she's embarrassed that she was ever a baby. I thought she might just be embarrassed to get in one, so I told her she wasn't going to run into anyone she knew, it would be okay. She said she didn't need one, and she didn't. She did just fine....a heck of a lot better than her Nana!

Just budget it, then play it by ear.

No flame here... you do what you feel comfortable doing, and what is right for you, your child and your family! Yes, we still rent the strollers, not just for DD to use when she is tired, but to hold that terribly heavy backpack my husband insists we take! Unfortunately, we noticed in October that DD REALLY is a bit too big for the strollers, so maybe I can convince DH to unload some of his junk next time! and not on me! ;)

Now that my girls are 6 & 8 I love touring without the stroller, that said I also would not hesitate to rent one if need be. They generally do fine if we get an early start, drink enough water and take a mid-day break. On our last trip my 6yo needed a stroller mid-way through the week for Epcot evenings - a long walk for anyone.

As others have said we start the day without a stroller and see how things go - maybe that will work for you. I personally like not having to back track to find the stroller after each attraction as well as finding a parking spot for it etc. Often the CM's rearrange the strollers and sometimes its difficult to find. If you do rent bring a bright colored bandana or ribbon to tie to the handle.

Have a fun time - 7 is a really great age for WDW (ok I know they all are), my oldest had her most magical trip last year.

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter