• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking plans and where to RD

Dude, it really IS. (Just maybe not the way you're approaching it...)

Anyway, for your final day where you're planning for the 9:00 DCA instead of 8:00 DL, I can't remember if you're doing Maxpass or not, but if you are, you can go and get into DL at 8 so you can start booking FPs, then just leave and get in line over at DCA. I suggest this since I feel like you're going to have your family there by 8 either way, although I also think you'll have done every ride with FP several times by then if you want to, so I'm not sure how appealing or necessary that will be...

Also, you probably know this, but on Wednesday, when you go into DL and it's already been open for an hour, veer left and do Adventureland/Frontierland, which won't have been open yet.

Oh my goodness. This is genius RE my second Tuesday. I don’t know that I would have gotten to that on my own. Thank you!!
So even though I will have missed magic morning, I can still enter Disneyland at 8 and at least activate the max pass system. Maybe we can even enjoy a little of Main Street before heading over to California adventure? Nah. I will prefer to be in line for California adventure. You rock.

I think I lost you on what you mean about Wednesday, however.

I think I lost you on what you mean about Wednesday, however.

Oh, ignore me, I was thinking THURSDAY and that the MM was at Disneyland. Wednesday there's no MM.

This is what I get for posting before coffee. :coffee:

And yeah, the sooner you can book that first FP, the sooner you can book more! It's a cascade effect.

Oh, ignore me, I was thinking THURSDAY and that the MM was at Disneyland. Wednesday there's no MM.

This is what I get for posting before coffee. :coffee:

And yeah, the sooner you can book that first FP, the sooner you can book more! It's a cascade effect.

No problem! For all I knew they had changed hours! I quickly tried to check that again.

My kids range in age from girls five and eight years old, then two girls 12 & 13, and then boys 15, 17. Older four love Marvel. Two little girls typical little girls. As of right now I am thinking about going directly to Radiator Springs Racers at rope drop and grabbing a max pass for Guardians. Now I realize I can grab that max pass before the park even opens! (Yay!) How early do you think my return time for Guardians might be having pulled it as early as that? Would I have time to fit in Soarin or TSMM before Guardians is available?

I had been thinking that as soon as we rode Guardians the first time I would grab another max pass for RSR if I could.

No problem! For all I knew they had changed hours! I quickly tried to check that again.

My kids range in age from girls five and eight years old, then two girls 12 & 13, and then boys 15, 17. Older four love Marvel. Two little girls typical little girls. As of right now I am thinking about going directly to Radiator Springs Racers at rope drop and grabbing a max pass for Guardians. Now I realize I can grab that max pass before the park even opens! (Yay!) How early do you think my return time for Guardians might be having pulled it as early as that? Would I have time to fit in Soarin or TSMM before Guardians is available?

I had been thinking that as soon as we rode Guardians the first time I would grab another max pass for RSR if I could.

Short answer: I'd expect you to have a 9:30-9:45 starting return time for Guardians*. Keep in mind that you don't have to RIDE it to pull another one. You could be somewhere totally different at 9:30 and pull your next FP. Your Guardians one would be officially good until 10:30, and you can actually use it for 15 minutes after (I've never personally tested that last 5 minutes, but I scan in up to 10 minutes late frequently).

Now, if you actually get into DL at around 8:00, you might want to book RSR first, because your "90 minute wait" would also allow you to book your 2nd FP around 9:30-9:40 (90 minutes after you pulled a FP at 8:05 or whatever, if that makes sense?). So either way, you can pull your 2nd FP at around 9:30-9:45. But if the FP you're pulling then is RSR, that's basically the only FP in the parks that's probably more than 90 minutes away at that point, so that's not the most efficient choice.

(I feel like I'm being confusing. Let me know if that makes sense. I almost always advise AGAINST pulling RSR first because that 90-minute "maximum wait" is an inefficient use of early-morning Maxpass potential, but in your very unique situation with an "hour later park opening," it actually won't affect you.)

*Disclaimer: I'm 90% sure this is accurate, but perhaps someone will chime in and correct me if not. They've changed the "first FP return time" several times...

Typically, the first FP return time is 30 minutes after the park opens, UNLESS that park had EMH, in which case return times start right at park opening. On Saturday, I was at DL for a 9:00 rope drop following an 8:00 EMH/MM, and return times were for 9:05, so I know that second part is true. I'm 90% sure that when I go to a park on a non-EMH day, the first return times are for 30 minutes later, so that would have been 9:30 on Saturday. I just can't swear that part is still true, especially when DCA opens an hour later.

Maybe we can even enjoy a little of Main Street before heading over to California adventure? Nah. I will prefer to be in line for California adventure. You rock.

In the week leading up to the 60th they had some weird hours due to all the stuff going on that included parks closing at 7 PM and earlier hours than normally offered in May. On our Tuesday they had a MM at 7 with opening of DL at 8 and DCA at 9. We rope dropped DL at 8 and made it into DCA right after 9. That was pre MP time. You could definitely spend some time at DL enjoying Main Street, meeting characters, or hitting a ride from one of the non MM areas of the park.

When in DCA, make sure that they look closely when they go round the bend from Grizzly Peak (by Soarin' and the airplane) toward GRR -- on the left side in the wooded area. There are almost always two kitties there, Francisco (the tortie -- yes, it's a female, but the CMs named her Francisco!) and Snickers (a dilute calico), both long haired. They are so pretty! And Francisco can be quite friendly and will greet her adoring public when she's in the mood. Snickers is more shy and retiring. :)

http://disneylandcats.com
DH and I love the DL cats too! In addition to the spots you mentioned, we spotted a beautiful white long haired kitty rolling around in the bark near one of the DLH towers. She came up to say hi to us, and then must have heard a nearby critter and took off on the hunt. It was adorable!

Dude, it really IS. (Just maybe not the way you're approaching it...)

Anyway, for your final day where you're planning for the 9:00 DCA instead of 8:00 DL, I can't remember if you're doing Maxpass or not, but if you are, you can go and get into DL at 8 so you can start booking FPs, then just leave and get in line over at DCA. I suggest this since I feel like you're going to have your family there by 8 either way, although I also think you'll have done every ride with FP several times by then if you want to, so I'm not sure how appealing or necessary that will be...

Also, you probably know this, but on Wednesday, when you go into DL and it's already been open for an hour, veer left and do Adventureland/Frontierland, which won't have been open yet.
And I Love that you said “Dude.”

Last edited:

DH and I love the DL cats too! In addition to the spots you mentioned, we spotted a beautiful white long haired kitty rolling around in the bark near one of the DLH towers. She came up to say hi to us, and then must have heard a nearby critter and took off on the hunt. It was adorable!
DS (17) is a cat whisperer. There is no doubt in my mind he will befriend a feline or to two...

Last edited:
DS (17) is a cat whisperer. There ia no doubt in my mind he will befriend a feline or to two...
Aww, how sweet!

If your family likes ducks you will have your share of feathered buddies too. Last time we went to Jolly Holliday we had an audience watching us eat. :D

Short answer: I'd expect you to have a 9:30-9:45 starting return time for Guardians*. Keep in mind that you don't have to RIDE it to pull another one. You could be somewhere totally different at 9:30 and pull your next FP. Your Guardians one would be officially good until 10:30, and you can actually use it for 15 minutes after (I've never personally tested that last 5 minutes, but I scan in up to 10 minutes late frequently).

Is this a feature of MaxPass that I just didn't know about before? You can pull another one as soon as your current return window opens, even if you've not yet ridden it? (or 90 min, whichever comes sooner - the 90 minutes part I did know, I was just under the impression you had to actually have ridden the current FP ride)

Is this a feature of MaxPass that I just didn't know about before? You can pull another one as soon as your current return window opens, even if you've not yet ridden it? (or 90 min, whichever comes sooner - the 90 minutes part I did know, I was just under the impression you had to actually have ridden the current FP ride)
It’s not just maxpass. Regular Paper Fp is that way too (just a 2 hours vs. 90 min difference).

This is exactly why veterans around here highly, highly recommend staying at a hotel within walking distance of the parks (aka "staying on Harbor"). While a hotel can be more expensive, it saves you all of this worry and hassle involved with driving, parking, trams, etc. You simply exit your hotel, walk to bag check and go through, walk to the gates of whichever park you choose, and go in. When you want to go back to the hotel, 5 minutes later, you're there. That kind of convenience and peace of mind can be worth the extra expense (and you can make up the money with savings in other ways). Keep this in mind for your next DLR trip!

ETA: Regarding the walking route to/from M&F and DTD, keep an eye on posts in this forum after the end of this month. Disney has given the retail locations, the AMC, and restaurants on the west end of DTD until June 30th to close for the impending construction of the new hotel. But some locations will be closing as early as June 2nd. I don't think construction will start until the end of June or later, but Disney might alter the location of bag check for DTD before then. If that happens, you'll see it posted in this forum. If you don't see anything before your trip, assume that nothing has moved. Or you can drive by on your dry run and ask at the parking booths for DTD.

I'm sorry to de-rail the thread a bit, reading this just made me feel the need to ask. I've learned on this board that while staying at the Grand Californian, I should use the main gates entrance to DCA rather than the resort-only entrance. Is the walk from the resort to the main gates easy and self explanatory? I tried looking on google maps and couldn't quite follow it. Will we be walking through DTD to get there? If so, will the answers to these questions in January (our trip) possibly be different than they would be today?

I'm sorry to de-rail the thread a bit, reading this just made me feel the need to ask. I've learned on this board that while staying at the Grand Californian, I should use the main gates entrance to DCA rather than the resort-only entrance. Is the walk from the resort to the main gates easy and self explanatory? I tried looking on google maps and couldn't quite follow it. Will we be walking through DTD to get there? If so, will the answers to these questions in January (our trip) possibly be different than they would be today?
Yes. It’s easy. You walk through downtown Disney. There are signs in the hotel to direct you to Disneyland/Downtown Disney. You will enter downtown Disney in between Sephora and the Disney dress shop.

You will briefly walk through DTD. It will be easy to see what to do when you're there.

You can use the resort-only entrance later in the day (like if you've taken an afternoon break). It's just very backed up in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter