• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

I like the response have another baby! šŸ˜‚
Nature sure has a way of easing our emotions to see our kids leave for college....Senior year of high school some of our kids attitudes get real bad that we secretly want them to go. Until the day we drop them off I cried with worry for Daughter.

DS finished the Spanish class Monday. He now has the requirement met for language request needed to graduate (2 to get in that college, 3 to grad in his field) he couldnā€™t fit in another year in HS. Or you could have music or art meet the requirement to get in but then those students need 3 years of any consecutive language to guaduate.

His buddy and brother dropped by today, his family moves to Tennessee Thursday. He said they finished a 2L of Dr Pepper like a Champaign toast.

DS got a good email from his roommate and other suite mate organizing who will bring the bigger items.

One particular co worker repeatly asks-what are you going to do without kids at home are you going to miss them. I keep responding of course Iā€™ll miss then but they are not far away. I think I might change the answer to, Iā€™m going to die- to see the response.

The dorm sent the request for the second installment for room and board, so basically each semester is paid for before that semester begins- smart move on the dorms part. You donā€™t pay u donā€™t get to live there.

Wow! So many updates! We just got back from vacation last night. DD is still in NY with DH visiting his parents. They'll get home Sunday night. She reports to school Labor Day weekend.

She finally got her dorm assignment, and she did get into the Honors LLC and is living in the suites dorms. She's in a quad, so 4 girls, 2 to each bedroom, and a living area with a kitchenette and bathroom. 2 of the girls are from the school area, and 1 is from Long Island, so she's the furthest away. Now it's time to start making lists of the things we'll need to buy for her when we get there!

Count me in with being bombarded with ā€œ what are you gonna do with her goneā€ ā€œ itā€™s going to so hard for youā€ Now Dd is my youngest an her Dad passed when she was just two so yes we are very close because of those circumstances. I know people mean well and are concerned but truly I am not going to fall apart ! Yes Iā€™ll miss her but I have survived my husband death as well as other life changing events. Iā€™m going to be just fine !

DS16 got his drivers license yesterday, which doesn't have anything to do with this thread except another baby is growing up. The last Amazon box was delivered today with DS18's backpack and 2 books for a class that he wants to keep--they were $16 total, so not a huge deal. MIL is taking him shopping tomorrow to get whatever else he wants, and he and DH are going to build the bookshelf for his desk in the next few days. He moves in a week from today.

I have joined a Parents of X University group on facebook, and I have gotten good ideas and things, but a lot of them are planning to stay the entire weekend that the kids move in, from Friday morning until Sunday afternoon. Is that normal? Am I a bad mom? We are not planning to stay all weekend and won't be even if we are the only ones (we aren't). There are a few parent info sessions that we want to go to, but there are things for the kids to do also, including a welcome party on Friday evening and things scheduled all day on Saturday. I think DS will do better getting involved with things if we aren't there. I mentioned it to DS, and he looked at me and said, "Oh no, please don't stay for 3 days". I'm sure some of them are coming from a lot further away than we are, but it still seems strange to me.

Our son's school has a couple parents' events on move in day (Aug. 20th) and the next morning, but then we'll be heading home. We got a hotel for two nights, though, since we're 4 1/2 hours away and with a morning move-in time, we didn't want to have to get up at like 4am to get on the road.

I attended a webinar about the move-in process offered by DS's school's Parents & Families office. They were really emphasizing in-and-out approach: parents should help their kids unload/unpack, make a quick trip to the store for any forgotten essentials, then get out. All parents should plan to be gone by 5pm, and they've got activities for the students throughout "welcome weekend" so you should not expect to see your kid again after you drop them off. (Obviously, if you have a super-long drive you might need to come the day before/stay till the day after, but there are no parent activities planned.)

Our drop-off window doesn't open till 1pm. I'm already feeling rushed! I hope the morning drop-offs heed the in-and-out advice so there's reasonable parking for those of us arriving in the afternoon. I can envision ALL parents staying till 4:45 and it being a nightmare for those of us who have the later window. (And DS's dorm is VERY far away from the "overflow" parking area.)

I've got to say, I've been very chill about this whole thing for most of the summer, but now that we're down to less than 2 weeks, I'm starting to feel anxious. I can't even put my finger on what's making me anxious about it, but ... stress. (It doesn't help that my mom recently fell and broke her femur -- the second one in 8 months -- and needs a lot of help right now. She scheduled a doctor appointment that she wants me to attend with her -- for the afternoon before we leave -- and said "Well, I didn't want to schedule it for the 22nd because I knew you'd be busy that day... but this is for the 21st." Sigh... okay, mom.

In and out process is what I was thinking too, and what we've sort of been planning. Not pull up, push him and his stuff out and drive away, but we will be coming back home the same day.

design mom, I'm starting to get a little anxious too. He goes a week from today, and right now I just want it over with. I'm going to miss him like crazy, I'm sure I'll cry on the way home, but waiting is hard too. I hope your mom heals well. DH's dad had a horrible accident last May, and I understand about the inconvenient dr appts.

Dd move in day is Aug 29 an they specifically told us to say goodbye by the afternoon convocation. I had originally planned on spending the weekend but since was told this it will be just overnight. Apparently they have tons of activities planned for welcome week.

I get that some parents helicopter in and want to hover and not leave, but I do think some schools take it too far.

Our oldest son's school (a small Jesuit University I'll add) was almost insulting in the way they discussed this with parents.

Our middle son's school didn't have much to say about it at all. But we chose on our own to drop him off, drive on a couple hours farther to St. Louis to visit a few sites, then stop back by for lunch with him the next day before returning home. That turned out to be perfect. Just what we all needed.

Our daughter's school gave no input on the drop-off. Not that it mattered since she moved in 11 days early. And doesn't seem to be missing us!

DD is our youngest and I do get questioned about having an empty nest. I say I will be going on lots of walks with the dog and that the girls won't be far away. I am still in disbelief that move in is only a week away. We will just be there to move her in and then probably get out of the way and drive home. Do plan on checking out the lake recreation area before we go to move in.

It's a very busy week between now and then. But we didn't know it would include a funeral for a classmate/friend. We were at church camp for the week when she got the call on Tuesday about the accident. Camp helped keep her distracted but now we are home and facing reality. She met with the parents tonight and right now is with her youth group pastor. We had her take a certain route to avoid seeing the skid marks because it was very close to our home. Visitation tomorrow and funeral Sunday. So sad for everyone here.

We still have to keep up on the college prep and there are three outside scholarships that I don't know the status of. Tuition is due the 15th. Sent an email on one 7/30 with no response. Their initial letter said they would send it to the college "in the fall". One is showing as anticipated on her account so at least they have been in contact with the school. Have sent another email on the third one today- don't even know if they are paying to the college or to DD. Kind of ran into this with DD20. Don't know why they cut it so close or don't communicate the plan and cause me stress.

DS got a 2:00 move-in time, but I don't think there are any parent events planned.

We haven't decided whether we're going to make a weekend out of it and stay in a nearby town, or try to do the up-and-back. It's complicated because DH will have only been back from a longer work trip for a couple of days.

bjscheel, hugs and prayers for you daughter and her friends as they grieve. A hard thing for any of us, but especially right now for them.

DS' school is fairly small and we don't have a specific move in time. Check in begins at 9:00 and goes until 5:00, and we are planning to arrive a little before 9:00--probably with everyone else, but I would rather do that than have to sit around the house and wait to leave on Friday to arrive later. I washed all of his new sheets and towels last night and put them back in the "dog hair free" bags. He went to a friends' birthday party last night and is still there. I wasn't sure how it would go, most of his friends have ignored him since graduation, but he didn't come home early so I guess it is fine.

We are paying $100 and moving Dd in 2 days early. Not only are her roommates moving in then, but our move in time was noon, and everyone says the traffic is a nightmare (big school). This way we can shop for things she needs on Friday (no sales tax), because itā€™s going to be tight and I donā€™t know what the set up will be with lofting and bunking. There is a parent send off at 4 on move in day, but since she will be all moved in, she can help others move, while we beat the jersey shore traffic.

Really dumb question, but what are they going to pack their stuff in? We have a two plastic storage totes that he will use under his bed that are full of smaller stuff already, and SIL loaned us her Ikea bags to pack his clothes in, but what about the other stuff? Tide pods, hangers, water bottle, box of tissues, etc.

While I'm asking dumb questions, where are they planning to keep shoes? DS' school doesn't allow over the door hangers, so that is out. He would rather have shoes than clothes, and he "needs" to take most of them with him (he thinks), plus 2 pairs of soccer cleats.

We are paying $100 and moving Dd in 2 days early. Not only are her roommates moving in then, but our move in time was noon, and everyone says the traffic is a nightmare (big school). This way we can shop for things she needs on Friday (no sales tax), because itā€™s going to be tight and I donā€™t know what the set up will be with lofting and bunking. There is a parent send off at 4 on move in day, but since she will be all moved in, she can help others move, while we beat the jersey shore traffic.
Hah! An upsell! But likely well worth it.
Really dumb question, but what are they going to pack their stuff in? We have a two plastic storage totes that he will use under his bed that are full of smaller stuff already, and SIL loaned us her Ikea bags to pack his clothes in, but what about the other stuff? Tide pods, hangers, water bottle, box of tissues, etc.

While I'm asking dumb questions, where are they planning to keep shoes? DS' school doesn't allow over the door hangers, so that is out. He would rather have shoes than clothes, and he "needs" to take most of them with him (he thinks), plus 2 pairs of soccer cleats.
I couldn't talk my daughter into plastic tubs to put under the bed. Although I'm guessing at some point she'll realize she does need at least one. She got measurements for her closet space online and found cubes at Ikea that fit perfectly. She also brought her 3 cube unit from home that fits in her closet. We also got some sort of narrow basket rack at Ikea. Jury is out on whether that's enough space. It's been a week and so far so good.

She's back today to see a movie about a Korean pop group (not showing near campus). So we'll see if she needs anything else before taking her back Monday.

So far I'm planning to use:
  • laundry baskets (both the one he will be keeping at school and one we've been piling stuff in but will bring back home)
  • a couple of "milk crates" that he'll also keep there
  • suitcase/duffle/backpack
  • and a large bin with a lid (so we can stack other things on top of it in the car) that we'll also bring home
And I expect mine will just line his sneakers up on the floor - exactly like he does at home. šŸ™„

@bigbabyblues, good idea about washing towels! Sheets are done, but I forgot about those. - I don't want them to run on his clothes the first time he does laundry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter