• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paradise Pier vs Best Western Stovall

glk2009

DIS Veteran
We are considering another DL trip in July (an add-on to San Diego) and looking at hotels.

While I would love to stay at the Grand, I can't justify the cost.

During our last trip, we stayed at the Best Western Stovall and I would not mind staying there again.

But a part of me would like to be at a Disney hotel and Paradise Pier isn't too crazy price-wise (compared to the Grand).

I would love to hear about recent stays at PP and if anyone can convince me to stay at one over the other. Our kids will be 6 & 10 and I think they would love the water slide.

Thanks!!!!

We stayed at PP in June of 2014. It was just meh, not worth the price in my opinion. We spent four nights there, it wasn't bad, but not close enough or Disney enough to warrant the price. We have stayed at the GCH, and the pools are better and the location cannot be beat. Stovall's is decent, breakfast was good. We stayed there February 2017. If I was going to stay that far away, I would choose Stovall's and save the money. PP has no wow factor.

We are considering another DL trip in July (an add-on to San Diego) and looking at hotels.

During our last trip, we stayed at the Best Western Stovall and I would not mind staying there again.

But a part of me would like to be at a Disney hotel and Paradise Pier isn't too crazy price-wise (compared to the Grand).

I would love to hear about recent stays at PP and if anyone can convince me to stay at one over the other. Our kids will be 6 & 10 and I think they would love the water slide.

Thanks!!!!
Following as we currently are booked at PPH for 2 nights & 1 at BW Stovall's at the beginning of August. :) We have not stayed at either one also!

Personally if I were in your shoes I would stay at Best Western & use that extra money saved to add a little extra magic to my trip elsewhere, or even just save it- Paradise Pier really isn’t worth it for the themeing (or lack there of) & the distance (if I’m paying a premium to stay on site I want it to actually feel/be on site).

We did the HoJo and I didn't love the walk, but I know it's not as close as others.

I actually like the walk thru Downtown Disney, even though I didn't at first. And the BW Stovall is a known commodity.

It is hard to justify the extra expense. Maybe I'll stay at the BW and convince DH to do a VIP tour instead lol.

Thanks everyone!

we can never justify the price of a Disney hotel, Stovells is nice, we have stayed at the Camelot Inn and Suites, can highly recommend that hotel, though the parking charges annoy me at the hotels (British and trying to save every cent), this year we have decided to stay at the Baymont Inn and Suites close to Knotts Berry and we will drive to Disney and we are closer to Knotts for Scary farm

Last edited:
I actually like the walk thru Downtown Disney, even though I didn't at first. And the BW Stovall is a known commodity.

One more thing in favor of BW is that the walk through Downtown Disney will be much less pleasant this summer if they move forward with their plans to build a major new hotel at the end of the mall where the AMC Theater and Rainforest Cafe are now located. Both PPH and DLH guests will have to enter through or somehow be rerouted around that construction zone.

Thanks!!!!
Due to the possibility of DTD's west end hotel construction, look for a place to stay on Harbor.
Less walk and there are many places to choose from.

My grandkids like the pool at the Tropicana just as much as the PPH pool.

If you plan to use the pool I do not recommend the Desert Inn and Suites, their pool is indoors.

Well,we’ve stayed at Paradise Pier 3 times and love it. It’s bright and happy and we find the room very comfortable for our small family. I’m sure it’s not as swanky as other places, but as i don’t get to travel as much as others do, it feels like a treat when we get to stay there.

Thanks for the heads up about the construction... I hadn't known about that. Glad I posted and asked!

I'll research some of the Harbor hotels mentioned above. I really just need a clean place to sleep since we are usually in the park all day. And maybe a decent pool to give us the option to swim.

Thanks everyone!

we can never justify the price of a Disney hotel, Stovells is nice, we have stayed at the Camelot Inn and Suites, can highly recommend that hotel, though the parking charges annoy me at the hotels (British and trying to save every cent), this year we have decided to stay at the Baymont Inn and Suites close to Knotts Berry and we will drive to Disney and we are closed to Knotts for Scary farm
Do you usually rope drop? Just be aware parking is quite a hassle. You’ll need to leave 1-2 hours before park opening.

Thanks for the heads up about the construction... I hadn't known about that. Glad I posted and asked!

I'll research some of the Harbor hotels mentioned above. I really just need a clean place to sleep since we are usually in the park all day. And maybe a decent pool to give us the option to swim.

Thanks everyone!
The Tropicana is one of our favorites on Harbor.
Rooms were remodel last year.
The hot tub is really nice after a long day in the parks.
Their rates are fairly reasonable too.

we can never justify the price of a Disney hotel, Stovells is nice, we have stayed at the Camelot Inn and Suites, can highly recommend that hotel, though the parking charges annoy me at the hotels (British and trying to save every cent), this year we have decided to stay at the Baymont Inn and Suites close to Knotts Berry and we will drive to Disney and we are closed to Knotts for Scary farm
We stayed at Baymont this last summer. We were impressed for what we were expecting!

The Tropicana is one of our favorites on Harbor.
Rooms were remodel last year.
The hot tub is really nice after a long day in the parks.
Their rates are fairly reasonable too.

Thanks for the tip on the remodeled rooms!

I just called and was able to reserve an Executive Suite with a park view (just in case our days end early).

One less thing to worry about!

Do you usually rope drop? Just be aware parking is quite a hassle. You’ll need to leave 1-2 hours before park opening.

we only turn up for the magic morning, other times we are there after rope drop, never had an issue with getting FP's for the rides we want and always do Cars as a single rider

We have stayed at PPH and we loved it and found the theme to be charming. We had park view room which we found fascinating to see all the lights come on in DCA to watch nightly resupply and maintenance. It has a nice feel but it is quite a walk to the parks. I have stayed at the GC and loved it too, can't beat the location on this one, as long as you get a room that is not way in the back. My favorite place to stay though is the Tropicana Inn on Harbor. It is close, clean, quiet and cheap. It is just me a teenager so we don't need much. I would say that staying on site is great every few trips but for the most part we stay offsite and do extras like WOC dessert party or more souvenirs.

If you can get up early and take advantage of early entry, it is worth EVERY DIME to stay at the PP. I won't stay there if it's just me, because the extra money is only getting in one person early. But if it's the family, then you get more for your money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter