Palo dress code question

CarolynU, I think in a general sense, cruising has become far more affordable than in the past, and appeals much more to the masses than it did years ago. So I would guess that most of the mainstream lines don't have a lot of dressing up, although some do enforce it more in the specialty restaurants. I'd look into the more luxury lines - Seabourn, Viking maybe?

CarolynU, I think in a general sense, cruising has become far more affordable than in the past, and appeals much more to the masses than it did years ago. So I would guess that most of the mainstream lines don't have a lot of dressing up, although some do enforce it more in the specialty restaurants. I'd look into the more luxury lines - Seabourn, Viking maybe?

Seabourn I have seen at Vancouver. Can't remember which ship. Their sail away looked very dull compared to Disney, which is where the contradiction lies. I love the fun of Disney but also fancy being a bit more dressy even if it's only in the speciality restaurant or on formal night. I'm going to check Viking out because I know nothing about them at all.

I guess I just don’t understand how what other people wear affects someone else’s experience. If someone wants to wear a ball gown or Tux to Palo because that is what they like that’s great. If someone else wants to wear a pair of jeans and casual shoes that’s fine with me too. I’m going to enjoy Palo no matter what anyone else wears.

Be comfortable in your own choices and enjoy the great food at Palo. It’s your vacation, you be whoever you want to be, but allow others the same privilege. Let your freak flag fly!

Flame away

You'd be surprised what is allowed in certain office environments nowadays. Offices which were once business dress, then downgraded to business casual, are now allowing jeans. I work in an office with 3 sister companies represented. The other two companies have gone to allowing jeans everyday while my company is sticking to business casual except for Fridays when jeans are allowed.

I've been told it's due to the millennial generation because they "want to be comfortable." Personally, I'm shocked at what I see some of them wear. The other day I saw one member of the younger generation wearing skin tight white jeans with a sleeveless top. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. We are a professional services firm, and the manner of dress of some people seems extremely unprofessional. I guess I've become an old fuddy duddy even though I'm only in my 40's. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of wearing jeans or sneakers to Palo. Heck, I don't wear jeans or sneakers to the MDRs.

Just because someone says this doesn't make it true. But of course, we must blame millennials for everything.

Just because someone says this doesn't make it true. But of course, we must blame millennials for everything.

Well, considering the person who told me was someone whose job would involve them in that decision making, I tend to believe they know something about the reasoning behind it. And outside of my employer, I have friends in upper management positions who told me their companies made similar decisions in an effort to retain millennials. I'm not basing my comments on off hand speculation from just anyone, but on people whose jobs have them making those decisions.

I can't believe that any family that can afford a Disney Cruise can't afford to dress appropriately.

For us, it has nothing to do with money. It has to do with suitcase weight and space. As non US travellers, a Disney Cruise forms part of a much longer holiday. Suitcase weight and space are major issues given I don't want to have to spend holiday time sitting in a laundromat. On that basis, packing two pairs of dress shoes which we'll only wear once doesn't make sense (for us).

On the one time we did go to Palo, we did our best to abide by the dress code (I wore plain, dark brown leather hiking boots, which I'd cleaned as thoroughly as possible and my husband wore plain, dark brown suede "sneakers"). If we'd been refused entry or made to wear "loaner" shoes, then so be it.

I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily about money. Although, I guess it kind of is about money since we're really trying to avoid additional airline luggage fees which can be ridiculously expensive - far more expensive than two pairs of dress shoes!

Seabourn I have seen at Vancouver. Can't remember which ship. Their sail away looked very dull compared to Disney, which is where the contradiction lies. I love the fun of Disney but also fancy being a bit more dressy even if it's only in the speciality restaurant or on formal night. I'm going to check Viking out because I know nothing about them at all.

I know Viking doesn't allow children, which makes them seem more formal just by that.

For us, it has nothing to do with money. It has to do with suitcase weight and space. As non US travellers, a Disney Cruise forms part of a much longer holiday. Suitcase weight and space are major issues given I don't want to have to spend holiday time sitting in a laundromat. On that basis, packing two pairs of dress shoes which we'll only wear once doesn't make sense (for us).

On the one time we did go to Palo, we did our best to abide by the dress code (I wore plain, dark brown leather hiking boots, which I'd cleaned as thoroughly as possible and my husband wore plain, dark brown suede "sneakers"). If we'd been refused entry or made to wear "loaner" shoes, then so be it.

I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily about money. Although, I guess it kind of is about money since we're really trying to avoid additional airline luggage fees which can be ridiculously expensive - far more expensive than two pairs of dress shoes!

It doesn't have to be dress shoes though. Just not sneakers. I wore comfy flats to Palo. They're also what I wore on deck most of the time. And on excursions. Just like we only pack khakis, not jeans. Leaving the most casual clothing out of the suitcase saves just as much room.

We oddly paid attention to this on the Fantasy in December. Our table mate was worried because he had a back injury and the only shoes he could wear were running shoes with some special arch modification and he thought they’d be turned away so my husband and I said we’d look when we went to Palo and report back. We saw 4 different men in athletic shoes (straight up Nike shoes), a few in “boat shoes” loafers, and a few in formal dress.

When we went back for brunch I also saw guys in flip flops.

They were not turning men away or giving them loaners...I don’t know if it was just ship specific and who was working in December but that’s what we experienced.

Ive only gotten turned away for shorts. Not sure what I was thinking - i jsut forgot the dress code. I just ran downstairs and put on some linen pants . . .

I wear boat shoes/loafers to Palo and I dont think they're any better than sneakers/tennis shoes. I've never noticed anyone's shoes while dining and never would be put off by them. The only thing that would gross me out is tank tops - I dont want to see most of what tanks tops reveal :)

We just got off the Dream last Friday. For our Palo dinner, my hubby wore a pair of leather flip flops, and the hostess offered him loaner shoes. (I forewarned my DH about the dress code, but he didn’t listen to me)

To me it is not about a specific article of clothing but an overall look. Yes, society has become more casual. I have a leadership position in a large professional services firm. We can now wear jeans when not in client meetings and in the office. When I started my job in the same industry in 1993 skirt suits and pantyhose were my normal attire.

Now, we cannot wear tennis shoes/gym shoes/sneakers with jeans and the jeans should not have holes in them, but jeans and a nice shirt (no t shirts, but shirts with collars for men and blouses for women) are acceptable.

All of this to say, I would rather see someone in dark denim with a great top and some leather flats, or wedge sandals, than women in polyester dresses from the late 1990's or men in pleated khakis that do not fit. And I see plenty of people wearing dated dress clothes at things like funerals, nicer restaurants, etc. They would probably look better in some nice jeans! Just my opinion.

ETA: For the record, I am 48, not young, but not ancient either. Clothing is not indicative of socio-economic status all the time.

I wore beige ballet flats from Payless ($24.99 and I got another pair free because BOGO) to Palo with a navy blue dress. DH wore a collared shirt, Dockers-style pants, and Sperry Topsiders. We fit in just fine. I do recommend Payless for inexpensive women's dress shoes, and the Dexflex Comfort flats are great.

I guess I just don’t understand how what other people wear affects someone else’s experience. If someone wants to wear a ball gown or Tux to Palo because that is what they like that’s great. If someone else wants to wear a pair of jeans and casual shoes that’s fine with me too. I’m going to enjoy Palo no matter what anyone else wears.

Be comfortable in your own choices and enjoy the great food at Palo. It’s your vacation, you be whoever you want to be, but allow others the same privilege. Let your freak flag fly!

Flame away
It's been proven over and over in psychology experiments that ,for good or ill, what people are wearing often effects not only their behavior, but the behavior of others towards them. Someone in a suit and tie is more likely to be respectful of the venue than someone in jeans and a tee. Someone dressed appropriately for the situation is much more likely to be taken seriously and treated well than someone dress inappropriately in a lot of public situations. It definitely isn't true in every case but that's the trend in the data. It effects my meal when people who don't respect the venue treat it like Applbees rather than fine dining. People who don't take the time to dress appropriately are more likely to put less thought into their behavior as well.

DH has a pair of Sperry Topsiders but they are fabric not leather. Do you think they would be ok? We normally lug dress shoes but it takes up a lot of space in the luggage for one meal.

Agree. We only travel with carry-ons when we can help it. My DH has a pair of black Campers lace-up shoes that look dressy enough but he wasn't planning to bring them to Alaska even though they're very comfortable, they take up too much luggage space to only be used once or twice. But I guess we're bringing them because he's too much of a germaphobe to wear loaners! LOL.

DH has a pair of Sperry Topsiders but they are fabric not leather. Do you think they would be ok? We normally lug dress shoes but it takes up a lot of space in the luggage for one meal.

They may or may not allow them. I brought a pair of Olukai slip on shoes for DH to wear on our cruise in March. They were not sneakers nor tennis shoes (but they had rubber bottoms) and we were told they were a no-go ( I really wish they would be a little more specific than no "tennis shoes" as it's very confusing to me. If they would even state "dress shoes required"). They gave my husband loaner shoes to wear. They were fine. He literally wore them for the 90 minutes we had our dinner, took them off and then we returned them the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter