Palo automatic gratuity

We just got off the Dream where we had Palo dinner and had a similar experience. We didn't order any drinks in Palo. I did the price fix menu and my daughter ordered ala carte. They added an 18% auto gratuity and our server told us where it went when he delivered the bill. We had an excellent experience so I added an additional tip.

Thanks for everyone sharing their experience. I wonder if this might actually lead to lower tips. The automatic on $45 is just over $8. I do not think we have ever left less than $10 per person. Admittedly, there may have been people who never left a gratuity, but now there may be people who leave no extra as the automatic is already on the bill.

Tip has never been included in Palo and has always been something additional you had to pay. I do believe the automatic gratuity is somewhat recent. I remember being instructed on how to use the app to add a tip on my october 2021 cruise and being told they already added the 18% added in my april 2022 cruise. Of course I may have just been tipsy on my october cruise and just paid extra gratuity on top of the 18% but I don’t think so—I am usually pretty decent at math! If I did over tip oh well, the service was great.

Thanks for everyone sharing their experience. I wonder if this might actually lead to lower tips. The automatic on $45 is just over $8. I do not think we have ever left less than $10 per person. Admittedly, there may have been people who never left a gratuity, but now there may be people who leave no extra as the automatic is already on the bill.
This. I had this experience at the Aulani Spa. I have a great experience and planned to add an additional tip above the 18% I knew was automatic. When I checked out the 18% was automatically added and there was no spot on the receipt or at check out to add an additional tip. I walked away a bit confused and figured they did not want additional tips. It was only later I learned I could have asked to add an additional amount on, but its not promoted.

I think it has always been there if your meal included wine or cocktails, but not if it was just the food. Of course, the a la carte pricing is new also.
We've only had brunch since they added the A La carte menu. I hate the idea of being handed an itemized receipt like that at a meal on a cruise and the Pre Fix is just too limited to be enjoyable.

I am on the short list of those who prefer Palo without the buffet. (Blasphemy I know...) I'm usually so pleased with the meal and service I leave 25-30 PP as a tip. I hesitate to leave less now that the buffet is gone.

I wonder if this has to do with DCL wanting to make the tipping culture more automatic for people from other cultures where tipping large amounts isn't the norm? Tipping to the % amount Americans do it not customary in many other places. I know Aulani adds an 18% gratuity onto everything - including spa services like DCL does. I've always assumed this was to make sure service staff were compensated automatically due to many visitors from outside the USA who would not know that a service members livelihood is directly dependent on your tipping.
In speaking to servers over the years they have said it just comes with the job that some international guests come from cultures where tipping is not only not common, it's an insult. Nice the cruise lines are looking out for their staff
Also have had some interesting conversations regarding smoking policy on cruise ships. Eavesdropped on one man speaking to an Officer on the Magic about how the ships restrictions on smoking would land someone in jail in his home land.
Cruises are an interesting mix of international passengers with different experiences and expectations.

Tip has never been included in Palo and has always been something additional you had to pay.
There was a time (years ago) that the extra cost included the gratuity to the server. But it was like pulling teeth to find out how much of it actually went to the server, and many people just added their own tip to ensure that their server got something.

I don't actually mind since I never exactly knew how much to tip in the old days. IIRC the guideline was "tip as you would an upper end restaurant at home." That involved 1) guessing how much that would be (we don't eat in super nice restaurants at home-more mom and pop places) and 2) feeling like I should overtip since I wasn't paying for the meal and 3) since we live in a fairly LCOL area, adding even more since a meal out here v. NYC is quite different. Now there are some guidelines..hooray!
I completely identify with this! I've always wondered what to tip, and it seems crazy to me hearing about tips of $30 a person, as I've never eaten anywhere that expensive (even at the nicest nearby restaurants that I'd put above Palo), but I understand for some people this is a totally reasonable tip. Still, 18% is lower than I've ever tipped at Palo on my own.

At the same time, though, I don't like the idea of any auto-gratuity where there is an expectation that you should tip more, and I'd be inclined to just go with the autogratuity if they are going to do it that way. It seems like it should be one or the other: either you let people tip what they want, or you just make it a part of the bill. This feels completely like they are trying to have it both ways, all the upside, and none of the downside. If they're going to charge it anyway, why not just build it into the price, and then skip any tip option?

She thought that she should get the automatic gratuity AND a tip on top of that? :oops:

R.df3cf8e909550e9d8c3e2565f7cc2973
Yes! She thought people were no longer leaving tips since the auto gratuity was on there.

Yes! She thought people were no longer leaving tips since the auto gratuity was on there.
Well I will say, until I read a thread on these boards explaining it, I didn’t know the automatic 18% that is added to drinks, palo, etc. is a shared/pooled tip and not all of it goes to the specific server or bartender. So we usually add a dollar or two to each drink at DCL bars and add extra tip at Palo. Of course it’s a personal decision how much to tip but I mention just in case that helps explain why a server might justifiably be disappointed if guests were not giving anything beyond the 18% pooled tip.

Well I will say, until I read a thread on these boards explaining it, I didn’t know the automatic 18% that is added to drinks, palo, etc. is a shared/pooled tip and not all of it goes to the specific server or bartender. So we usually add a dollar or two to each drink at DCL bars and add extra tip at Palo. Of course it’s a personal decision how much to tip but I mention just in case that helps explain why a server might justifiably be disappointed if guests were not giving anything beyond the 18% pooled tip.
Yes, this is the case. Also, in the MDRs, the 18% autogratuity is also pooled. Any additional gratuity that you add to a bill for wine, beer, mixed drinks, etc. is shared by your assistant server (who usually manages the drinks) and your server.

I would be rather put off by wait staff informing me that the auto gratuity was not sufficient and indicating that I should give more. A server who takes a position at Palo is aware of how tipping works. A gratuity is an amount given for excellent service. When I receive excellent service I will tip more, I would normally tip $40-$50 for 2 people and will add tip beyond the 18% to come up to that total. But If a server indicates to me that it isn’t enough, I will remove the extra tip and inform the maitre’d of the action.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand why Palo is such a draw for everyone. I have been a few times and we will reach platinum on this upcoming cruise and I don't even know if I'd do it then. The food is good, but what is the 18% based on? the $45 cost? So if hubby and I go we would owe $90 for the charge plus 18% before I even add in drinks right? And then depending on service add more? Do you all think Palo is worth the extra expense? I really like the MDR though I have to say I hate the new live entertainment we experienced on the magic last time. I have hearing issues so its hard to eat with a show going on. LOL.

I'm trying to understand why Palo is such a draw for everyone. I have been a few times and we will reach platinum on this upcoming cruise and I don't even know if I'd do it then. The food is good, but what is the 18% based on? the $45 cost? So if hubby and I go we would owe $90 for the charge plus 18% before I even add in drinks right? And then depending on service add more? Do you all think Palo is worth the extra expense? I really like the MDR though I have to say I hate the new live entertainment we experienced on the magic last time. I have hearing issues so its hard to eat with a show going on. LOL.
We are gold cruisers and have never eaten dinner at Palo. We enjoy the MDRs too much to justify skipping an included MDR dinner for a paid meal. I think people go to get a date night sans kids but I like spending time with my kids on vacation. Some people also really dislike the pirate night menu for some reason and go then.

However palo brunch is another story. I do not like the lunch food much on DCL so always book palo brunch when I can.

I tipped $15 a few weeks ago, so 33%, because my server really improved the experience. On the Magic for brunch, without alcohol.

However, I would have liked automatic with the knowledge that this is shared with the kitchen staff. My server was the best, but part of the experience was the excellent food (strawberry basil sorbet for the win!), whoever prepared that sorbet should have gotten something extra for the work. Same for the veal. And the melanzane. And the tomato soup.

Last edited:
What does alcohol have to do with anything?

If you have a case of water delivered to your room, 18% gratuity. If you get a cooler of water or a smoothie at Castaway Cay, 18% gratuity. Pretty much every onboard purchase other than merchandise has gratuity automatically added.

You can see or modify the amount on the app afterwards if you'd like.
Actually, they are even charging 18% on some merchandise now as well. On the Wish MV, they were selling the cooler (without anything in it, just the cooler bag with Wish Maiden Voyage on it). So we paid an additional 18% just for someone to hand us the bag. I thought that was a little much…

Do you all think Palo is worth the extra expense? I really like the MDR though I have to say I hate the new live entertainment we experienced on the magic last time. I have hearing issues so its hard to eat with a show going on.
Yes, I do. Palo on the Fab Four (I've never dined there on the Wish, so can't comment about that) has a peaceful and elegant atmosphere, unlike the MDRs, and higher quality food and service than the MDRs. For Remy, that is all true to an even greater degree.

I like some of the MDRs, such as Animator's Palate on the Magic class and Royal Court and Royal Palace on the Dream class, but for the most part MDRs are loud and the food is mass-produced and the service can be slow.

In my opinion, dinner has better food than brunch at either adult restaurant. Especially since Palo's brunch buffet (which was the best part) is no longer offered, I would not pay for brunch at Palo. I also find that breakfast and lunch at the MDRs is a lot more peaceful than dinner at the MDRs, and their breakfast and lunch food is better than what you'll get at Cabanas.

A Disney cruise costs thousands of dollars, so an extra $45 ($52 including the 18% gratuity) for a better dinner experience isn't a big deal to improve my vacation imo.

Last edited:
W
I'm trying to understand why Palo is such a draw for everyone. I have been a few times and we will reach platinum on this upcoming cruise and I don't even know if I'd do it then. The food is good, but what is the 18% based on? the $45 cost? So if hubby and I go we would owe $90 for the charge plus 18% before I even add in drinks right? And then depending on service add more? Do you all think Palo is worth the extra expense? I really like the MDR though I have to say I hate the new live entertainment we experienced on the magic last time. I have hearing issues so it’s hard to eat with a show going on. LOL.
The only part of palo dinner we enjoy is the chocolate soufflé otherwise I have no interest paying more a just okay meal. We do however enjoy the brunch, but dinner no thank you.

I would be rather put off by wait staff informing me that the auto gratuity was not sufficient and indicating that I should give more. A server who takes a position at Palo is aware of how tipping works. A gratuity is an amount given for excellent service. When I receive excellent service I will tip more, I would normally tip $40-$50 for 2 people and will add tip beyond the 18% to come up to that total. But If a server indicates to me that it isn’t enough, I will remove the extra tip and inform the maitre’d of the action.
I agree with this, we typically tip above 20 % but sure yes it’s fine for the server to explain 18 % was added and says it’s split between these people but then to ask for additional, I am not a fan of that. Even tipping in the US has gotten out of control every place you go these days is asking if you want to leave a tip.

Actually, they are even charging 18% on some merchandise now as well. On the Wish MV, they were selling the cooler (without anything in it, just the cooler bag with Wish Maiden Voyage on it). So we paid an additional 18% just for someone to hand us the bag. I thought that was a little much…
You can adjust or remove the gratuity in the app. Takes ten seconds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter