Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Meh, it is something that has to be done

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Would rather be waterboarded

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Other - because there has to be an other

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
I start my list about 3-5 days ahead of time. I've gotten pretty good about not bringing much more than I use, I hate lugging around unnecessary stuff. But we do fly Southwest and usually check a bag for at least the toiletries / drinks, and there's generally extra space so there's no real point in packing light. The checked bag is lighter on the way home, without a stash of Mountain Dew and maybe beer. That also means there's more room to jam stuff on the way home - for souvenirs or just the ability to more casually load it up less efficiently.

I like the excitement of getting ready.

I love packing and usually pack 2-3 weeks before the trip if I can.

I definitely overpack and I don't see that changing. We almost always fly Southwest so there is no extra expense in checking an extra suitcase. Although of course I can buy needed items on the trip, if I can avoid it, I do at all costs. Having to go to Walmart or Target for essentials on vacation is not my idea of fun. I would also HATE to buy overpriced toiletries/medicine at the airport of hotel. Sometimes we stay in somewhat remote National Parks with no drugstores nearby and I love knowing I have the basics with us if we need it.

For example, even though none of us have a cold before we leave, I'll bring cough drops, cough syrup etc. in a Ziploc bag. Sounds silly, but I still vividly remember waking up in the middle of the night in Washington DC with a raging sore throat, I could have cried tears of joy when I grabbed my throat lozenges out of the suitcase. Another time, while staying on the rim of the Grand Canyon my son started to get a cough and sore throat. We had a car, we could have left and driven to the closest town 45-minutes away, but it was oh so nice to grab NyQuil out of the suitcase.

Packing extras "just in case" isn't for everyone. Let's face it, it's not for many, haha, but it works for us!

Been married for 51 years. I did my own packing for our Jamaican Honeymoon but since then *Not my job* because DW does it.

I usually start packing at least a month ahead. I have a smaller carry-on now due to stricter size limitations, but still sometimes use my set of Jansport luggage. I've been using it for many years and my daughter used it on her many trips to Europe. They are still in good shape and serve us well. Unfortunately, Jansport doesn't make luggage anymore.

We fly Southwest to (as of now) all bags fly free. But, we fly standby and there is always a chance of getting separated from our bags so carry on is just easier for us. We have not done more than a week carry on only so I might check a bag for a longer trip.

It is crazy how much airlines are charging for bags and carry on. I am glad I don't have to worry about it.
It's about $50 each way for just one bag, no matter how small. But our trips are in the winter, and even in wdw that means sweaters and long pants most nights. I also need a few pairs of shoes.

and despite what my husband thinks the Ugg boots don't take up any room because I can fit all of my socks and underwear and bathing suits inside them. :rolleyes1 They're just so comfy at the end of a long day.

I don't mind packing. I lived out of a suitcase for 20 years so it is not a big deal. My toiletry bag is always ready to go.

I am an early packer, especially for cruises because I tend to change my mind several times about what outfits I am taking.

The only thing I dread is after we all come home and I have mounds of dirty clothes. I don't mind unpacking the bags, I just hate seeing the all the baskets of dirty laundry that are waiting for me. Ick!

All of my travel involves my RV so very limited packing is needed. I have almost all of the things I need already inside. Everything else I put on an index card in list form. If I traveled differently I'd need to do things different as well, but my packing takes about 15 minutes or so now.

Same. I do my frenzied ADHD packing at the last minute.

I do leave some things packed and ready at all times, like my toiletry bag. Having forgotten some things (toothbrush, etc.) in the past, now I have duplicates that just stay packed.
I have duplicate sets, too, but it doesn't really work, because DH does the laundry, and he has a habit of dumping the contents of luggage completely out and then putting the cases away, usually leaving my duplicate sets of toiletries somewhere in the basement but not in the bag, or emptying out the toiletry kit into random spots in drawers and closets in the bathroom. (Drives me batty, and also costs a fortune because half the time I can't track them down and end up having to create another duplicate set.)

Last edited:
I don't mind packing. I lived out of a suitcase for 20 years so it is not a big deal. My toiletry bag is always ready to go.

I am an early packer, especially for cruises because I tend to change my mind several times about what outfits I am taking.

The only thing I dread is after we all come home and I have mounds of dirty clothes. I don't mind unpacking the bags, I just hate seeing the all the baskets of dirty laundry that are waiting for me. Ick!
Yes, I hate the post trip laundry with a passion. Every trip I have to ask myself how does a one week trip generate two weeks worth of laundry.

I used to hate putting all the odds and ends away but now that I have by rolling rack and a closet for luggage, that part isn't too bad.

Yes, I hate the post trip laundry with a passion. Every trip I have to ask myself how does a one week trip generate two weeks worth of laundry.

I used to hate putting all the odds and ends away but now that I have by rolling rack and a closet for luggage, that part isn't too bad.

I love your shoe rack shop, ingenious! ::yes::

I usually start packing a day or two before the trip. It is like pulling teeth to get my husband to give me what he wants to bring. (And it's annoying because he never folds what he gives me. It is always left in a heap.) My trick is to roll our clothes into logs. It does seem to save space. We are going away in 2 weeks, so the packing fun will begin soon.

For me packing is part of the thrill of the trip (note, I only pack for myself, not DH or kids).

I am a classic dresser and minimalist packer and have a formula. I usually do a 3 color capsule - for example - red/white/navy (summer), navy/white/wine (fall), black/red/white (winter). I only buy clothing in my capsules colors

Two to three weeks before trip I start laying out basics in guest bedroom. I make sure everything fits and is clean. Every day or so i check weather and may make adjustments.

Bottoms: I figure 3 days wear for casual plus a dressier bottom. So for a one week trip, I would pack 2 casual, one dressier and wear one casual. All solid color.

Tops: One casual per day plus one or two dressy if there will be occasions. If I will need a dress, I'll eliminate a top. At least half solid.

Pack two pair shoes plus wear one: one sporty, one walking, one nicer like flats or wedges. Must fit capsule colors.

I will make adjustments until the day before trip when I will pack. 3-4 days in a duffel, 7-8 days in a roller bag. 9+ days in roller bag plus cosmetic bag or standard larger bag.

Accessories/sweaters/scarves must coordinate with at least 3 outfits. Max two pair earrings, one necklace. One larger travel purse (for traveling) and one small crossbody or wallet purse, usually in pant color.

I try to carry on everything but for longer trips it sometimes doesn't work, especially if I'm not sure of laundry availability.

Oh, and I can't justify the price tag for Tumi. They are nice but my bagsmart bag has served me well.
I’ll say one thing in Tumi’s defense: long lasting. I bought a wheeled piece for the man as a birthday present (which I then preceded to use…oops) in the mid ‘90s and it still looks nice almost 30 years later. The only reason I’m replacing it now is I currently need a spinner.

All of my travel involves my RV so very limited packing is needed. I have almost all of the things I need already inside. Everything else I put on an index card in list form. If I traveled differently I'd need to do things different as well, but my packing takes about 15 minutes or so now.
Same here. Our RV is always packed and ready to go. The only thing we add before leaving is food and Rx meds. Even toiletries and OTC meds are already in there.

Same here. Our RV is always packed and ready to go. The only thing we add before leaving is food and Rx meds. Even toiletries and OTC meds are already in there.
I have to add my prescription meds to the list but everything else is good to go. I'll never forget the trip I got about 500 miles from home and realized I forgot my prescription meds at home. That was a very expensive mistake considering I had to drive back home and do it all again the next day. I'll never make that mistake again. :)

I have to add my prescription meds to the list but everything else is good to go. I'll never forget the trip I got about 500 miles from home and realized I forgot my prescription meds at home. That was a very expensive mistake considering I had to drive back home and do it all again the next day. I'll never make that mistake again. :)
Now that would suck! Our RV is in the garage 10 steps from the kitchen so we are spoiled.

Now that would suck! Our RV is in the garage 10 steps from the kitchen so we are spoiled.
I've seen some of the pics you've posted of your setup and I'm impressed. I have a smaller class C but it's just me so I really don't need anything much larger than what I have. It's nice to have and I enjoy the freedom and ability to explore it gives me. So glad I decided to try it out back in the day and fell in love with it. :)

I've seen some of the pics you've posted of your setup and I'm impressed. I have a smaller class C but it's just me so I really don't need anything much larger than what I have. It's nice to have and I enjoy the freedom and ability to explore it gives me. So glad I decided to try it out back in the day and fell in love with it. :)
Tried to send you a PM but your profile is locked down.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest