Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Would rather be waterboarded

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Other - because there has to be an other

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

china mom

DIS Veteran
I have an unhealthy obsession with packing for trips. I used to travel quite a bit but now I rarely venture anywhere but back and forth to Disney numerous times a year. But that does not stop my obsession with packing for travel. We travel carry on only exclusively, even for longer trips or different destinations and my personal item is always packed and ready to go. I could catch a flight with five minutes notice.

I do not have any expensive pieces of luggage except for a couple of moderately priced Disney suitcases but an always window shopping for that perfect bag. I am also obsessed with travel organization such as packing cubes, tech organizers and such.

Unfortunately, I follow a tick tocker who does nothing but review personal items, carry on bags, and travel organization items. She has been very, very bad for me.

So, is packing something you enjoy or hate? Do you have a favorite bag or packing hack? How long prior to a trip to you pack and how many times do you re-pack?

I like it less now than I used to. :( When we first became “travellers” many years ago, it felt exciting and part of the fun! Now it’s just a mundane chore.

We’re a week away from our first major vacation since moving into a new (downsized) home that has no place for “staging” the suitcases and packing gradually. I’m basically going to have to mentally game-plan it, make some check-lists and do all the packing the evening before we leave. :goodvibes I don’t stress at all over packing light though and we always take ample checked bags, and if worse comes to worse, I’ll buy anything I’ve forgotten at the destination. We’re cruising, but will be in port almost every day.

Last edited:
My general rule is that if I will be leaving the house before noon, I pack the day before, otherwise I pack the day of the trip.
Same. I do my frenzied ADHD packing at the last minute.

I do leave some things packed and ready at all times, like my toiletry bag. Having forgotten some things (toothbrush, etc.) in the past, now I have duplicates that just stay packed.

It's a bit of a chore for me. I have been traveling more in the last year and I tried to get on the "one bag" train and I follow a subreddit on that, but I can't do it. Just decided I'm too high maintenance. Most of my trips are a mix of work/leisure so I need a work wardrobe and then my casual stuff. I have foot problems and often have to rotate shoes around. Well, I could go on. Just not successful with a carry on. But I've gotten much more organized with packing cubes and containerizing my personal care products so I feel more organized in my hotel room!

I enjoy packing.
I like coordinating outfits for specific days and which jewelry to go with them. I have suitcases out now for a cruise that we leave for on the 22nd.
I always have my toiletry bag ready. I make adjustments when we get back from a trip so it is ready for the next one.
We (DH and me) each take a checked bag if flying. I am an over packer.
And a carry on that carries some medical equipment for him and a couple of sets of clothes, in case a suitcase is lost for a bit.
And we each carry a back pack.

I'm already trying to get my head around a 18 day cruise we are taking in Jan.
Not sure how to pack enough clothes for that, but I will figure it out.
I am OCD

I don't hate or love it. In most cases, it's for something positive so I generally embrace it with some positivity. Honestly, the only thing I truly hate is prepping DD15s gear for air travel. There's a lot of anxiety about protecting it and praying it makes it from point A to point B.

Maybe it is more enjoyable for me because I am not traveling for work so I do not have to contend with two wardrobes, multiple shoes etc.

My husband is a recovering over packer. He still slips occasionally like when he insists on taking 14 shirts of a 7 day trip because "he doesn't know what he will be in the mood to wear" and then I point out that 5 of them are identical black t-shirts.

DD and I usually share a bag and she stick to the list exactly. If I tell her 4 shirts, shorts, underway and such, that is exactly what I will et from her. DS is a chronic under packer because he never remembers to do his laundry before a trip so he has nothing to bring.

I have an unhealthy obsession with packing for trips. I used to travel quite a bit but now I rarely venture anywhere but back and forth to Disney numerous times a year. But that does not stop my obsession with packing for travel. We travel carry on only exclusively, even for longer trips or different destinations and my personal item is always packed and ready to go. I could catch a flight with five minutes notice.

I do not have any expensive pieces of luggage except for a couple of moderately priced Disney suitcases but an always window shopping for that perfect bag. I am also obsessed with travel organization such as packing cubes, tech organizers and such.

Unfortunately, I follow a tick tocker who does nothing but review personal items, carry on bags, and travel organization items. She has been very, very bad for me.

So, is packing something you enjoy or hate? Do you have a favorite bag or packing hack? How long prior to a trip to you pack and how many times do you re-pack?
I have a particular bag that I have bonded with. A canvas duffel. Packing for me is now a chore that is done last minuet. I will never ever check a suitcase. Feel sorry when I see those families with many suitcases to deal with. Depending where we are going sometimes we take nothing as we have items at the other location.

My husband is a recovering over packer. He still slips occasionally like when he insists on taking 14 shirts of a 7 day trip because "he doesn't know what he will be in the mood to wear" and then I point out that 5 of them are identical black t-shirts.
This is me, I like options. I also seem to pack a lot of underwear too. Way more than I ever need. I was better about it on my last trip though!

I have a particular bag that I have bonded with. A canvas duffel. Packing for me is now a chore that is done last minuet. I will never ever check a suitcase. Feel sorry when I see those families with many suitcases to deal with. Depending where we are going sometimes we take nothing as we have items at the other location.
I also have a bag I have bonded with. Blue. Yes, I named him Blue. He is my underset personal item and holds everything I need for a plane ride and toiletries/medication. I could cram one day's worth of clothes if I really had to but usually don't.

I am trying hard to let Blue down easy but I have a new bag in contention to be my personal item. I bought the this bag to replace him.

This is me, I like options. I also seem to pack a lot of underwear too. Way more than I ever need. I was better about it on my last trip though!
I do like to throw in an extra pair or two in case I get stuck and can't get home for a day or two.

And then there is the time I forgot to pack any at all for a four day Disney trip for my niece's wedding (and no car).

I don’t know if I’d say I like packing as much as I worry about forgetting things so obsess about making sure I have everything. It has gotten better now that I have traveled more. I don’t worry so much because I can usually just pick up anything I forgot when I get there.

I also have a bag I have bonded with. Blue. Yes, I named him Blue. He is my underset personal item and holds everything I need for a plane ride and toiletries/medication. I could cram one day's worth of clothes if I really had to but usually don't.

I am trying hard to let Blue down easy but I have a new bag in contention to be my personal item. I bought the this bag to replace him.
I have this bag. It fits quite a bit. What I found was that when I had it very full, it didn't really fit under several airline seats well. I mean, I was really able to smoosh it under there but I lost a bit of foot room. I did have a laptop in it so it would have done better without. It's a very sturdy bag--not overly light but I don't care about that.

I have this bag. It fits quite a bit. What I found was that when I had it very full, it didn't really fit under several airline seats well. I mean, I was really able to smoosh it under there but I lost a bit of foot room. I did have a laptop in it so it would have done better without. It's a very sturdy bag--not overly light but I don't care about that.
What I like about Blue is that we can share legroom. The Lovevook is bigger and that was an issue. I didn't have it very full so it fit under my Southwest seat fine, without smooshing, but took up the whole space.

My reason for switching is that I use a scooter and I can hang the backpack on the back of my seat. The metal frame does cause you to get pulled for a bag search at Disney though.

Lovevook is staying home this trip as my carry on item will be a backpack cooler - packed with my clothes for the trip down and then to be used in the parks during the trip.

Yes with mine I stuff it under the seat. If it’s an emptier flight I’ll put it up.

I have considered getting a Burberry, or Tumi, but would feel as if I was cheating as this duffel had served me well, been all over with us and won’t ever fall apart. Got it at J Crew years ago.

Yes with mine I stuff it under the seat. If it’s an emptier flight I’ll put it up.

I have considered getting a Burberry, or Tumi, but would feel as if I was cheating as this duffel had served me well, been all over with us and won’t ever fall apart. Got it at J Crew years ago.
My best travel hack is to have a really tiny daughter who does not use her underseat legroom. I just tuck my bag in her space.

Oh, and I can't justify the price tag for Tumi. They are nice but my bagsmart bag has served me well.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest