Our Awesome Yosemite & Monterey Bay Trip Report ~ 5/2009 ~ Lots of Pics! Completed!

You have to go!
It's the most amazing place I've ever been. Simply spectacular.
Go and be in awe.

Thank you for this wonderful report. Our family make-up is similar to yours, except our well traveled DD is almost 7. We are planning a two week CA trip this summer and I had decided to skip Yosemite because I had heard that summer wasn't the best time to visit. After seeing your pictures I am considering re-working our itinerary! How was the weather at Yosemite?

Thanks! We were there at the end of May and the weather was absolutely perfect. It wasn't too cold in the morning and it didn't get too hot in the afternoon. The crowds were light too compared to what I hear can be pretty crowded later in the summer.

You have to go!
It's the most amazing place I've ever been. Simply spectacular.
Go and be in awe.

I agree with KC, if you can swing it, you really need to try to fit Yosemite into your plans. It is an awesome experience. I think your DD would love it!

Thanks! We were there at the end of May and the weather was absolutely perfect. It wasn't too cold in the morning and it didn't get too hot in the afternoon. The crowds were light too compared to what I hear can be pretty crowded later in the summer.

I agree with KC, if you can swing it, you really need to try to fit Yosemite into your plans. It is an awesome experience. I think your DD would love it!

Thanks! Our plans have been changed. I shared your trip report with my DH and DD and it was unanimous - we are going to Yosemite. After researching a bit, I may even book a cottage at the Tenaya Lodge and the same tour! Thanks again for your wonderful report.

Thanks Wendy!

I do have another question if you don't mind. :)

First, on the day you explored Yosemite on your own you mention taking a shuttle but I thought you also mentioned driving. Is there an internal Shuttle System at Yosemite?

Yes, Yosemite operates a free shuttle around the Valley floor. There are various stops within the village and out to Camp Curry. We parked near Curry and rode the shuttle down to the falls area.

Here's a map.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/valleyshuttle.pdf

After 3 weeks of research on my own, I just found your TR and exclaimed..see, shoulda checked the DIS to begin with! There's EVERYTHING you need here!! :goodvibes My husband rolled his eyes.

I just booked a cottage at Tenaya after being much unimpressed with the other park options, so I'm glad to hear that it's as good as it looked.
We are trying for an extended SanFran, Yosemite, (perhaps a drive down the coast and possibly DL) trip next July, rolled into a business trip for me, so I'm looking for all the help I can get.
Thanks again for the great info.

I'm glad I could some how be of assistance with your planning. ;) You will love Yosemite and the Tenaya is a very nice place to stay close to the park.

I just discovered your trip report today! We did a portion of your trip with our DS in 2000 (Monterey, Sequoia NP, Disneyland and the coast) and skipped Yosemite because it was the peak of summer tourist season. Now I know exactly where to stay when we go back someday to finally see beautiful Half Dome and the rest of Yosemite.

Thank you so much for the great details and beautiful pictures!

:flower3: Thank you for your kind words. I hope you can get to Yosemite. It is indeed worth the trip. We are hoping to make it back there ourselves, one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter