• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other US cities for family vacation

New Orleans is on my need to return to list. Its got amazing history, mixed with a modern city. I was there for just 2 days, did a Hop On Hop Bus Tour and just walked around The French Quarter. I didnt have time to do a cemetery tour

Yellowstone if you haven’t been there and then head down to Grand Teton after that.

I have always wanted to go to Colonial Williamsburg.

Being from Philly, I would recommend you not go out of the tourist areas if you decide to go there. I'm probably (because I'm from there) not the best person to recommend it...now, Boston I visited and loved. It was a wonderful vacation. There was so much to see and do.

Thank you for all these great suggestions. We loved DC and New York and could easily spend another week in each, but there are so many other places we haven't been. We did a trip through Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyon, but the kids were too little to remember it, so we might repeat that one. We've done New Orleans and some of the NW w/ an Alaska cruise. Phoenix seems too hot for the summer, but maybe a weekend trip when it's cooler.

Lots of great suggestions for maybe two different trips. Boston, RI, NH, maybe even up into Maine. Further south to Philadelphia and Virginia, and so many other great places to consider.

...She is a history buff (Hamilton got her hooked), so I was thinking maybe Boston or Philadelphia. My family hardly ever traveled growing up, so most trips are a first for me too. She is not the outdoors/nature type, but we all enjoy a good trolley ride or day at the science museum. DS11 has special needs and is a trooper about doing the intellectual stuff, so a good amusement park for him sometime during the trip is always appreciated.

Really looking to plan something a week long in summer 2021. Maybe two cities not too far apart, anywhere Southwest flies (companion passes!) Probably also a long-weekend winter trip to someplace snowy...

Funny, I was going to suggest Boston! You could maybe combine it with a NH vacation - a few days at each place. In Boston, you'd have the history and museums, and harbor/ocean, it's pretty much a walkable city with good public transportation, and in NH you'd have the mountains and lakes with a nice amusement park (Canobie Lake Park). Plenty of fresh seafood everywhere. A nice combination!

https://www.discovernewengland.org/

Me too - Boston sounds right up your family's alley! (We usually fly Southwest out of Providence, but I'm pretty sure they do Boston as well.)

And look into one of these:
https://www.citypass.com/boston

I would recommend the Science Museum and Aquarium, and if you like art, there is the MFA (which I love), Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (a little more manageable size), or ICA (for more modern stuff).

The universities have some nice museums aw well - the glass models at the Harvard Museum of Natural History are amazing! And my son always liked the MIT Museum too.

There is tons of history, and don't forget the smaller places! Over the years, we've done the Freedom Trail, State House, Mapparium, and John F. Kennedy Museum, plus you can drive to Plimoth Plantation and out to Lexington and Concord if you'd like. The Adams Nat'l Historic site is also available in Quincy, which is accessible by "T" (MBTA - our not-always-underground subway) from Boston.

The nearest amusement parks are Canobie Lake (already mentioned), Six Flags (near Springfield - about 2 hours from Boston), and Lake Compounce (a smidge further, in CT, but with a really cool coaster built into the side of a mountain!)

I don't know if your kids are into zoos, but we have lots of those too. Franklin Park is excellent, and right in Boston. Roger Williams (in Providence) is wonderful, and Southwick's (in Mendon) is a hidden gem!

If I were to take a city vacation for history, I'd fly into either Philly or Boston, visit for a few days the take the Acela to the other, spend a few days and then fly home from there.

Good idea if you want to combine!

Definitely Boston. In Boston, you have a lot of historical sites along with the USS Constitution, the oldest commissioned warship afloat, and also the only commissioned warship to have sunk an enemy ship. And like others have said, Cape Cod is fairly close, where I live, and it is beautiful. Rte 6A, Old Kings Highway, is a beautiful drive that takes you through villages. Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket would be quite the trip from Boston, not impossible, mind you, but quite the trip. It's about an hour and a half to the Cape, and then you have the ferry ride to the island(s), so that's something to consider. If you stayed on Cape Cod, you can easily do Boston as a day trip, or two day trip depending on how long your vacation is. By staying on Cape Cod, you are away from the city, plus you have easier access to the islands. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

New England cruises can go out of NY or Boston. I would suggest you take one out of Boston but fly there a few days early and really see the sights there. Boston has a lot more to offer than the one day that a typical cruise will give you.

Since your daughter is a history buff, how about Williamsburg? There is a Busch Gardens nearby (and Kings Dominion amusement park outside nearby Richmond) and I think you can tour the naval base in Norfolk. Virginia also has a number of civil war battlefields and Luray Caverns is a great place to visit.

The Pacific Northwest. Oregon/Washington State...especially towards the coast. That whole part of the country is beautiful.

We have taken two vacations to Chicago in the last decade. If you like museums, their collection can't be beat! We spent a full 5 days each time, and didn't even get to all of them.

Other places we've enjoyed: Seattle (& Olympic National Park), San Fransisco, New York, and DC.

It sometimes gets a bad rap, but we enjoyed a really great family trip to Buffalo, NY, once, and said we'd go again in a heartbeat if we ever found some cheap flights. Trips to Niagara Falls and Fort Niagara were just a short distance away and were a lot of fun. We had lunch one day by Lake Eire, then by Lake Ontario another. There was a nice famiy amusement park there. I believe there were three bowling alleys when we were there of different types, plus a drive-in movie theater. We hit a Navy yard and a viewing spot on the Underground Railroad, and Cooperstown/Baseball Hall of Fame on the drive home. Lots to do, and not particularly expensive, either.

My dad grew up in Buffalo I have not been back since my grandpa and grandma passed quite a few years ago but if any one goes I definitely recommend Bocce club pizza it is the best. Anchor bar is where Buffalo wings were invented so that is a cool stop and then there is the falls. Which is just breath taking. If you have passports the Canadian side is really cool and Clifton hills is right there which is a tourist trap but definitely a site to see.

I'm a huge fan of Chicago. Beautiful clean city with lots of culture. The transit system is one of the best in the the country and the AIRbnbs are fabulous. I also like New Orleans and Boston, Philadelphia is chock full of history but a week there is a bit much.

Our family of 4 has taken turns picking a July 4th destination for about 8 years now...New York City, Maine (Camden, Portland area), Boston (definitely a fave location), Chicago, Yellowstone/Tetons, Maine again ( my pick: had wanted Sante Fe area, but we had a limited time window that year and live on East coast), Montréal & Mont Tremblant. Loved each and every trip.

Born and raised in SC....Charleston in an amazing spot with so much historical significance. Happy to answer any specifics.

We have also enjoyed Sea Island, GA. The Amelia Island area is fun too.

Southeast Virginia: historical sites in Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, plus Busch Gardens and Water Country. If you have time, there’s also lots to do in the Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach area, or head the other way up to Richmond or Charlottesville. (Another major amusement park, Kings Dominion, is about a half hour north of Richmond.)

This area was my first thought too. As mentioned, it has plenty of history and two amusement parks, and the Hampton Roads area is nice. Virginia Beach is close by if anyone wants to spend a couple days at the beach too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter