OT-Where to stay in Chicago

ktkerber

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We have a long weekend in Chicago planned in July. We gave our daughter tickets to Hamilton at the Private Bank Theatre for Christmas and also plan to go to a Cubs game while we are there.

Is there a reasonably priced, clean hotel that is near or maybe somewhere in between these two places?

Also, we have never been to Chicago so if there are any must see or do things or places to eat, I would appreciate some recommendations!!

Thanks

I have stayed at the Aloft hotel and really liked it. I would recommend staying in the Loop. I have gone several times over the past five years but I usually stay with friends so that is the only hotel I have stayed at.

For food, there are so many great places to eat! Giordono's pizza is great, Shake Shack is good, Garett's popcorn is a must for any visit!

If you are going adults only it is fun to go to the bar at the top of the John Hancock building.

ETA: There are lots of great places for brunch such as YOLK. My favorite brunch is Orange. They serve fruit sushi!

We stayed at the Residence Inn Downtown/River North on Dearborn Street. It's been almost four years since we've been there, so my memory is a little foggy as to where this hotel is located in relationship to attractions you want to visit. I do remember Wrigley being away from the city. You'll need to take the "L" line to get there. We actually road the subway a lot as my boys loved it! The hotel mentioned above is near the subway and many restaurants. We did take a taxi to/from Navy Pier and Michigan Ave.

Have fun! Chicago is a great city and I am itching to go back!

I like the Sheraton Towers or Fairfield Inn River North. The Fairfield is around the corner to the Red Line L which gets your right to Wrigley, and really close to the Mag Mile. The Private Bank is a little further south than the Fairfied but Chicago is a very walkable city, esp in July. A cab or Uber would be under $20 for sure if you chose to ride to the play. I prefer the Sheraton just because I love their hotels but the Fairfield is really a great place, at least I think so. Parking hurts at ANY hotel in the city so call and double check what that is running and whet the in/out privileges are (if you have a car) Tons of places to eat nearby and in Wrigley too. Have a great time and GO CUBS, WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!

Last edited:
Stay close to the Red Line El as both will get you to Wrigley and the theater with short walks. I would stay in the River North/Michigan Ave. area. The Loop is mainly business related and really shuts down after business hours depending on where you are.

I usually use Priceline Express or Hotwire rates to book my city hotels. While I usually don't go in the summer, I have spent $100 or less on the Omni, Drake, or Allerton, and got a suite at the Godfrey for $250 during Labor Day weekend as a last minute deal. I have been quite happy with all of these stays, but I usually book within a few days of my stay.

If you have a car, $50/night rates are not unheard of with no in and out priveldge. To combat this, I use the Spot Hero app the day I need to reserve a spot and save a good amount.

Have fun!!

I like the Kimpton Hotels (Allegro is my favorite) as well as the Palmer House.

If you do not have too strong of a preference, I have done well with using Hotwire to find 4 star hotels at a great price a few times for Chicago.

Not sure if the hotel is still good, but I enjoyed the Westin River North. It was perfect walking distance for the theater district and the Magnificent Mile.

If you do not have too strong of a preference, I have done well with using Hotwire to find 4 star hotels at a great price a few times for Chicago.

Not sure if the hotel is still good, but I enjoyed the Westin River North. It was perfect walking distance for the theater district and the Magnificent Mile.

We have had good luck with them as well. Also recommend Giordonos pizza

For the play, there's a Hampton in the same building as the theater, and it's only 2 blocks from the red line which you'd have to take to Wrigley anyways. Along with Giordonos, Portillos (hot dogs!) is a Chicago classic. Going to Hard Rock is always fun too.

I recommend using SpotHero to score parking downtown.

ETA: if you're going at the end of July I would recommend that you buy your Cubs tickets as soon as they go on sale. The Cardinals and White Sox series are the most popular and hardest to get.

Last edited:
I'm watching this thread. Going to Chicago for work in April. Just submitted my housing form today, not sure where I'll be staying. I will most likely have some time on the Sat. morning to do some sightseeing, what would people suggest? I am not good with heights and so the Sears Tower (whatever it's called now) is not necessarily a must-do for me. We were in Toronto this past summer and while the view from the CN tower was amazing, it just makes me nervous being up that high.

We typically stay at Springhill Suites when we're in the city (mostly due to being Marriott rewards members but it's also a great location.) About two blocks from the red line (which will take you up to Wrigley, make sure you give yourself time to get there - red line gets PACKED on game days.) and there are a ton of restaurants in the area.

I'm watching this thread. Going to Chicago for work in April. Just submitted my housing form today, not sure where I'll be staying. I will most likely have some time on the Sat. morning to do some sightseeing, what would people suggest? I am not good with heights and so the Sears Tower (whatever it's called now) is not necessarily a must-do for me. We were in Toronto this past summer and while the view from the CN tower was amazing, it just makes me nervous being up that high.

Maggie Daley Park and Millenium Park are right next to each other and are good spots to visit if the weather is decent. Mag mile is good for shopping, State Street for your not-so-high end stores. Shedd Aquarium, as well as any of the museums in that area are all fantastic. Lincoln Park zoo is free, a little farther north than the Loop area, but an easy cab ride away.

We stayed in the Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown this past July. It was awesome! We could walk to Mag Mile, Riverwalk, beach, plenty of restaurants, etc. We took a cab to Wrigleyville for the game. We plan to return and will stick with this same hotel again.

Another fun thing to do is to take one of the boat tours to see all of the architecture and learn more about the history of the city.

There are so many great restaurants here. You should do your research, read reviews and pick some that are not chain restaurants. You may need to make reservations for some a couple months in advance. :)

Check out the Eater - Chicago website, or google Phil Vettel (Chicago Tribune food critic) and see his best list, or Zagat, etc.

Nothing personal, but I just hate when people come here and only eat at the popular tourist places just because that's all they know about. There are plenty of places downtown, close to downtown, surrounding neighborhoods that are very easy to get to and not over the top expensive.

Have fun!

We are going to see Hamilton in February :) We are staying at the Hampton Inn Majestic, right next door. We got a good deal by signing up to be a Hilton rewards member, which was free. We decided to stay there because of price and location. This will be our first trip to Chicago so location to theater was a must. The only thing I'm considered about now is getting to and from O'hare

We are going to see Hamilton in February :) We are staying at the Hampton Inn Majestic, right next door. We got a good deal by signing up to be a Hilton rewards member, which was free. We decided to stay there because of price and location. This will be our first trip to Chicago so location to theater was a must. The only thing I'm considered about now is getting to and from O'hare

The fastest and cheapest way into the loop from Ohare is the Blue line. Tell me about your traveling party, if you need a different recommendation.

The fastest and cheapest way into the loop from Ohare is the Blue line. Tell me about your traveling party, if you need a different recommendation.
I concur. The Monroe Street station on the Blue Line is only about a block away from the Hampton Inn Majestic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter