"Oral" and "Anal" are verboten in Leander, TX.....sad........

E

EROS

LEANDER, Texas (Reuters) - Teachers in a Texas school district want to be able to answer students' questions about the risks of oral and anal sex but they dare not speak the words in the classroom because of parental objections.

Educators in Texas' Leander Independent School District became concerned after students submitted anonymous questions to their health teachers asking if oral and anal intercourse is considered sex, and if there are any health risks from AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

But the teachers are tongue-tied because the school's sex education curriculum does not allow them to answer such questions.

"We certainly need to address these things in our curriculum because they are health issues," school district spokesman Bill Britcher told Reuters on Thursday.

The district is considering adding discussion of oral and anal sex to the curriculum starting in the 8th grade but the proposal faces opposition.

The problem is that some members of a curriculum advisory panel that includes educators, counselors, parents and ministers objected to the use of the words "oral" and "anal."

"They just wanted us to be very careful of the terms we used, particularly at the 8th grade level," Britcher said.

The panel and school administrators have asked teachers to come up with a way to answer the questions without using the words in question.

Britcher described Leander as a "traditionally conservative community." He noted that other neighboring districts in the Austin area allow teachers to use the words oral and anal, but they cannot specifically describe either act.

As an educator....here is my take on this.

It is a shame that we have to even go there. I am so tired of having to be everything from teacher, nurse, phsychiatrist,and parent to these children and then getting handslapped for it. Sometimes teaching is so low on the totem pole it is sickening. I am sorry, but if parents are not willing to have these discussions with their children, then it has to be done somewhere. Do I want to be the one doing it??? NO!!!!! Believe me I do not, but the alternative is having these children exposed to all kinds of things because they do not have the right information. It really makes me sick...EROS, it is scarey, when you and I can agree on something buddy, but here I have to stand tall right next to you.

I have gone to a 1/2 dozen or so student funerals in my 16 years of teaching...two have been from aides, most from gang violence. Who knows how many I just did not know about. Both deaths are sensless and both are because of lack of parent involvement, atleast in my situations.

Answer to the student's question...

Yes, it is a form of sex, and you can catch a transmittable disease from it. Just like everything else, you give the child what they need at the particular age...

So sad :(

Eros, have you written a formal letter to the school district giving them your professional opinion?

Thanks, GLO :D :D . I feel that school districts MUST accept some responsibility for addressing the voiced needs of 8TH GRADERS.........HEY, these kids ARE at risk for all STDs, including HIV:(

RHONDA, I don't think that a Texas school district would appreciate a letter of concern from a Yankee Doctor;) ;) . However, if I felt that my thoughts would be welcomed, I'd be happy to send them. :) :) :)

Eros, do you think they will only accept opinions from those that reside in their district? What if they have no doctors that actually practice and/or reside within the boundaries of the district?

I think you should take the time to send a letter. If nothing else, at least you tried.

EROS...I think that parents should do their job better. Come visit me in my neck of the woods honey. These parents just do not get it.

I think that the burden should be on parents. There are not enough hours in a day for us to do what we are paid to do, let alone the job of parents. That being said, they are dropping the ball...I see it all the time. We have quite a few students in my school with HIV, almost all of them, getting it through their wonderfully well informed resposible mothers :rolleyes: Am I being harsh? Hell yes!!! The thing is that child is paying the price, and that is not fair.

Do not get me wrong...I do not believe in dumping all the resposibility for bringing up a child in the lap of schools. There really is something to be said for forming the kind of bond with your child, where this can be discussed openly and freely. To be honest I think that parents (and I am one) need to start getting more involved in this type of thing. I just do not think that turning our backs on the children will help either. It is a shame....

This is sad. I'm afraid the parents have their heads buried in the sand, glo and while I agree they should do their jobs better, they just don't. :(

Kids need to be informed and this can be a serious health risk. Unfortunately, many kids are having sex earlier than 8th grade and while we don't like to think about it, we should try to at least educate them about some of the risks they are taking. :(

Just my 2 cents
CC

glo
As a fellow educator ~ you are right on target! I agree with you.

My DD's female grade seven teacher discussed the G-spot and answered any questions they had. Some parents thought it was great (the moms;) )and others thought it was too much. They discussed oral (some kids thought it was phone sex) and anal and anything else. Different teachers seem to have a different comfort level with the kids.

This reminds me of what a friend of ours told me once. She has two elementary school age children. We were at her house and one of the anti-drug commercials came on. She told me how she wished they didn't have such commercials because she knows her children have never heard anything about drug abuse and it is just telling them things they don't need to know.

These commercials were geared towards her childrens ages and actually urged children to discuss the issues with their parents.

It seemed a bit naive of her and hopefully not dangerous in the long run for her sweet kids.

I happen to agree with EROS on this one. Ignorance is ignorance. It's scary especially in an era of AIDS and other STDs. Unfortunately, parents are not doing their jobs by not sitting down and giving their children the tools to make informed decisions. Or if they are, they are doing it far too late.

Schools have been forced to become surrogate parental authorities. They are educating children about things that parents have long evaded (how many of us had true sex education at home??). This isn't a new trend. It's just that the stakes are alot higher these days.

I would hope that all parents see the need for frank conversation concerning sex and drugs with their children. And not at age 17. If not, I would hope that school districts could responsibly impart much needed information to these children. Again, at an age appropriate moment.....before children begin experimenting and before they begin comparing notes. It's the only way to keep our children safe. Conservative is not the way to go. Not when there is a life at stake.

Conservative is not the way to go. Not when there is a life at stake.

I had long talks with my 3 sons when each was 10 years old. Unfortunately, most educators and parents seem to teach the 'when you experiment, be safe' approach. We have told our sons the facts, and also the requirements of our faith. We wait to share the gift of sex with the one you are going to bind your life to forever. The only true way to avoid the dangers is to have one partner who also was monogamous. Very lofty, I realize, but our goal nontheless.

Lastly, there is a new commercial out in our area that talks about STDs and finishes with the line "Fortunately, there is something you can wear that prevents contracting these. They're called pants."

It's about time.

Buz

Buz, congrats on accepting your parental responsibility seriously (and I mean that sincerely). I just wish everyone else would. Sadly that is not the case and for some kids, experimentation is how they learn and it only takes once.

Great commercial, wish more kids paid attention!
Cathy

I agree it has to be taught...there is no question about that, just wish it was done at home, and not the resposability of the schools. Someone has to do it, and it might as well be the schools, atleast the info will be correct.

I just hate that more and more gets dumped on schools as their responsability...When do parents start taking resposability for their children?

Now, remember where I am coming from. Please do not think that I am talking about everyone. I am talking about my experience in One of Boston's poorest and more economically depressed areas. Where in a school of 770 K-5 students, 93% get free lunch die to lack of income by parents.

I agree we have to inform the students...

Originally posted by EROS
a Yankee Doctor;) ;)
You're a Yankee?;)

Parents should talk to their kids about things like this. If they feel uncomfortable to do so, they should allow schools to educate them.

Glo, you are so right. It is not fair that parents don't HAVE to take responsibility for this. It just kills me that you have to have a licence to drive a car or be a certain age to be able to drink and vote, but anyone can have a child!! Not that I am suggesting written/oral exams be held, but it just doesn't seem right that parenting skills aren't mandatory classes in school.......oops here we are again, handing the responsibility back to the schools.... sigh......
CC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter