Online check in beware...

glencoe

DIS Veteran
This has happened twice in my last two trips (Nov.17 and Feb 18) I have been DVC for awhile, this is not my first rodeo!!

I had a split stay in Nov. I did online check in for both at the DVC site, not familiar with the resort so I did n't request anything specific, I let it ride.

First half of stay (BCV) I got my "room ready" before I even stepped onto the plane. I have never had any "room ready" text issues on my phone btw.
Second half of stay (BWV) I had not gotten any text by 5pm so I called to check (I am aware sometimes rooms are not ready at 4) they said I had no online check in done?! I figured it was me and I did something wrong. We got our room, all good, great stay.

Fast foward- Feb. Poly Stay. Did online checkin, request...all set. About two weeks before my visit I got a courtesy call from DVC asking if I needed anything for my upcoming stay....how nice!! I was pretty much set but confirmed with him dates and room request from my online check in.....all good!

At the airport I had not gotten my "room ready" text. We were not landing till 9pm, so not totally concerned, but called so it would be set after we got off the plane. So I called to confirm...well apparently my online check in "was not done"?! This time I know it wasn't me and now I question the back in Nov. issue.

The CM said this happens sometimes....so ALWAYS check your online check in before you go!! Good Luck and enjoy!!

It does happen sometimes as does MS not entering your room requests on your reservation and the room ready texts not going out either because the housekeeper didn't update the rooms status or because of another error.

:earsboy: Bill

Well since it happened twice to me I will always check in and do it again 24 hours before I arrive!!! Normally I try not to get wound up in requests. I choose a room level that I will be happy with and cross my fingers. I have actually gotten rooms in spots that surprised me as being great!! I personally like having my room number set when I arrive an be able to head straight to the room!!

Stupid question but do you --do the online check in on the MDE website or is it through the DVC site? When i go into my MDE account for our 3 upcoming reservations it lists a check mark and states "All Set!" Is the the only place i need to worry about entering my cell number?
Any issue with 2 rooms being linked to the same cell number?

Interesting. We had a split stay a few months ago, and we also got a room ready text for our first resort, but not for our second. Added to that, when we went to the second resort, they said our room wasn't "quite ready" and we'd get texted when it was. We even verified the # to test to. Since this was 3:00, we waited...and waited. At almost 5:00, we went back, only to be told, "Yes, it's been ready for a while."

Stupid question but do you --do the online check in on the MDE website or is it through the DVC site? When i go into my MDE account for our 3 upcoming reservations it lists a check mark and states "All Set!" Is the the only place i need to worry about entering my cell number?

I would do both just to be sure. Then check again 24 hours before !! As I mentioned I even did it on the phone as well and it still disappeared.

I always check in online and last year I did get that courtesy call which pleasantly surprised me. Nevertheless I still feel it's about 50/50 for me as to whether online check-in makes much difference. It's hit or miss. It seems like any time I check into BC or BLT I don't get into my room until 6 or 7pm. Whereas Kidani or OKW have my room ready early.

It really puts a :( pall on the start of vacation when you cant get in your room and when you eventually do you can tell the maids had to rush through to get it ready. We always grocery shop on day one to get it out of the way, but you cant do that until you know you have a fridge to come back to. On other occasions I've got my room early and got all my room requests and then I'm the happiest DVC'er in the world! :cool2:

Last edited:
We always grocery shop on day one to get it out of the way, but you cant do that until you know you have a fridge to come back to.

You can leave things with Bell services and they’ll refrigerate the cold stuff.

Fwiw I’ve never gotten a room ready text. And no one has ever indicated that I didn’t finish online checkin. You simply don’t always get it.

Confused by the things posted here (or maybe just not awake yet) because:

a) You can do online check-in correctly, and still have to go to the front desk when you get to the resort.

b) The courtesy calls are a fairly new thing (I think they might have started last year) but I wasn't aware that they are tied to online check-in.

c) Getting the room request you want is not tied to whether you requested it during the online check-in process. You can call to make the request. I think some people have even emailed in their request. When you do online check-in, the options are limited and might not include what you requested. Sometimes there are glitches and the options at online check-in don't even match your resort. Sometimes there are glitches and you can't make any requests at online check-in.

d) Whether or not you do online check-in, Disney is notorious for not texting or calling you with your room number even when your room is ready.

e) I believe some people have reported that they did not get a call or text with their room number but they were able to see it in their My Disney Experience account when they were on their way to the hotel.

I went in to check to see if the cell phone info was in for all 3 of my reservations -- all three said "all set" but only one had my cell number. I will definitely go back in and check closer to our trip.

I never get the room ready texts or emails so I always periodically check my MDE account for updates once I land into MCO. That was how I knew my room at the Poly was ready last time since there was a room number associated with my reservation.

I did on line checkin for our trip last week at SSR. When we arrived at the resort we went to the front desk to have my daughter's credit card added then went to the pool to wait. Some time after 4 I got the text, but it said I had to go to the front desk. What a pain that was. There was a line this time and I had to leave the pool. Plus, since it took so long the baby in our group was not happy at all. I don't even remember what their issue was.

More often than not, we don't get a text.

I never do online check in. for two reasons. Firstly their system won't text to a Canadian number. Most Importantly I'm a people person, I love to talk. When I talk to people I get excellent results. In December when i showed up at SSR our assigned room wasn't ready. I ended up having the pick of several different rooms in congress park. I chose the congress park 3rd floor with a view of Disney Springs. Could have had a 1st floor but the view sucked. the cast member was even able to show me pictures of the view from each of the rooms.

I don't do online check in either for same reason as curan69. I find it easier just to check in at desk. It's fast and easy.

You can leave things with Bell services and they’ll refrigerate the cold stuff.

Fwiw I’ve never gotten a room ready text. And no one has ever indicated that I didn’t finish online checkin. You simply don’t always get it.

Yeah I know you can leave things with bell services which I do when I'm switching resorts, but I'm talking about day one when I'm going full grocery shopping. I want to get it done and into the fridge and cabinets. Not have part of it with bell service and the other stuff sitting the hot car. And I agree with you, hardly ever do I get the room ready text. I don't even expect it. We just check in and go to the park and return after 4 pm.

Just to clarify...this was not a problem with the "room ready text". I actually have no problems with those. It was the fact that my online check in/or phone confirmation just disappeared off my account. I was assigned a room but not until well after 4pm in anticipation of my check-in when I arrived to the resort.

So to be practical, if they don't have a room request for you (although they are never guaranteed) they will assign you what is available (or left). So even if you make your ressie at 11 months or 7 months ahead of others, requests will get the effort of room choice before the ones who don't check in ahead of arrival. If the resort has light capacity you might get lucky, but if it is a busy time your chances are probably lower getting a requested room.

My initial posting was to make people aware to check that they truly have their online check in done before their trip. Online check in can be done so far ahead, it warrants a "recheck" before you leave for your trip, especially if you have a request you would really like noted. Although I love technology....sometimes stuff happens when humans touch it! LOL

Just to clarify...this was not a problem with the "room ready text". I actually have no problems with those. It was the fact that my online check in/or phone confirmation just disappeared off my account. I was assigned a room but not until well after 4pm in anticipation of my check-in when I arrived to the resort.

So to be practical, if they don't have a room request for you (although they are never guaranteed) they will assign you what is available (or left). So even if you make your ressie at 11 months or 7 months ahead of others, requests will get the effort of room choice before the ones who don't check in ahead of arrival. If the resort has light capacity you might get lucky, but if it is a busy time your chances are probably lower getting a requested room.

My initial posting was to make people aware to check that they truly have their online check in done before their trip. Online check in can be done so far ahead, it warrants a "recheck" before you leave for your trip, especially if you have a request you would really like noted. Although I love technology....sometimes stuff happens when humans touch it! LOL

I'm still confused. My understanding is that even if I don't do online check-in, my room is assigned a few days before my arrival. So if I call more than about a week in advance and give them my room request, I'm just as likely to get it whether or not I do online check-in.

Not all rooms are assigned so far out. This past time when online check in "never happened" I was stuck with the assigned rooms as all the others were taken by the time I officially checked in, but the next day when others checked out they moved me to one of those rooms which I am assuming someone got my original room. I am sure depending on capacity alot can happen with room assignments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter