• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OMG: Yacht Club Hosted Cadaver Surgery in Ballroom

Interesting article. I read the entire thing. It posed the question of whether holding such conferences in hotels was disrespectful to the deceased. I think there are things mentioned in the article that far more disrespectful and disturbing than the location of the conference. I do think local health officials should have strict laws and controls governing the decontamination/clean up of conference sites following the event, and should mandate a couple of days between events to thoroughly clean the carpets and let them dry completely.

It's a conference center. I would expect to see a variety of things hosted there. While there may be some things Disney turns away under their policies obviously this one wasn't. A fee was charged-the organizer paid that price.

The article also states Hilton and Hyatt as other hotels. Just because it's Disney doesn't mean they can't use their conference spaces for events just like other hotels do.

Deluxe as a category has nothing to do with it. However, Disney has put their conference spaces as far as I know at their Deluxe resorts with the exception of Coronado Springs. Looks like the places are BoardWalk Inn, Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Grand Floridian, Yacht Club and Beach Club.

Admitting straight out I did not bother to read the article however I don't see why it matters what type of conference it was.
They paid to have their conference there and as long as guests were not free to roam through the conference room to witness dead bodies then it doesn't make any difference to me.

Interesting, kinda creepy .. thinking maybe I wouldn't want to host a dinner/meal in that room soon after ....... but there are all kinds of convention/shows that bring in all kinds of stuff that I'd likely find bothersome. Even more interesting that there is so little regulation on the use/location of cadavers.

I see no problem with using the center that way no matter if it is Disney or not as long as all health and safety rules are followed. No one is going to be going into that room unless they are a part of the convention. Honestly, the article is looking for a problem and has already picked a "side" to report for and against.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. For my line of work, I have had to be present during an autopsy. That is some pretty messy stuff going on. I would have loved it if the reporter had gotten their hands on some forensic latent bloodstain tools to detect any bloodstains not visible to the eye. I wouldn't worry about catching diseases from the conferences, as a non-conference hotel guest. I just question the cleanliness aspect, as I do in ALL hotels,regardless of medical conferences. :)

I don't see it as a big deal. Most hotels with convention business host a wide variety of events. Dead bodies, dog shows, succulent plant sales, weddings, all kinds of stuff, and nobody's business except those in attendance as long as all pertinent laws are followed. If you are weirded out by dead bodies, consider that someone may have died in their sleep in that hotel bed you are sleeping in. Even in a Deluxe. I haven't heard any specific cases of it happening at Disney, but I'm sure that it does occasionally happen.

What do you think? They are doing the conference in the lobby for all to see walking by? For heaven sakes, it's in a separate facility, in a closed ballroom to conference attendees. What is the big deal? Why is this even a subject to discuss? The writer of the article is even worse. Much ado about nothing

It does creep me out a bit. But as long as i don't smell formaldehyde walking by im good.
That smell brings me back to my high school years where we had to dissect a pregnant shark that just about did me in.:crazy2:

My husband works as an engineer in the medical device industry and has attended cadaver labs in all kinds of settings. This is really normal practice and the risk of getting a disease is incredibly low. Ballrooms are a really great setting for a lab when you think about it, good light, plenty of space, etc.

DH says the large rooms are so much better than some labs in dingy, dark places on campuses where the smell is so strong. There are some labs he won’t use anymore because of how the setup is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter