Ohio Train Derailment

Status
Not open for further replies.
As sad as that is it’s absolutely 100% true….same thing with an explosion in Montreal….I heard about it from twitter
Some people act like you can't get accurate information from Twitter. There are mainstream media outlets on Twitter too (before anyone comes at me, I don't follow them so they don't show up on my feed, but I can search for them if I want to) for the people that like to get their info from them. You can get all sides of a story just by researching on Twitter. And, links are allowed to external websites for articles and studies to research. I honestly think the Twitter bashers are ones that have never used it or don't know how to use it....lol.

Or from other contamination in the past. A few of the drains and streams near me display some petroleum sheen when agitated, not from any documented spill or disaster but from the legacy of a time when people thought nothing of practices like dumping used motor oil or other petrochemicals out onto the ground rather than disposing of them properly. There's one in particular that runs behind a property that had been an auto shop from the 30s or 40s until the 90s, that is sort of interesting to kayak because paddling the shallower sections is enough to stir up the bottom and unleash the toxic rainbows.

There can be natural petroleum seepage. That area of Ohio is fairly oil rich. And the biggest source of oil sheen is leaking motor oil that can run off. Ever seen what it looks like after it starts raining, but before it washes away?

I hope that people in the area take the time to test their own water, and going forward, probably the soil as well. There's not much that can be done on an individual level about the air quality, but state university extensions have a lot of resources for water and soil testing along with advice on mitigating any dangers that the testing reveals. And that would be a lot more independent, and therefore trustworthy, than the sponsored testing being made available by NS right now.
THIS ^ You have to be proactive.
A trail of toxicity: the US military bases making people sick link
No bottled water for us, we use: Berkey

THIS ^ You have to be proactive.
A trail of toxicity: the US military bases making people sick link
No bottled water for us, we use: Berkey
I want a Berkey but it isn't in our budget so we are making do with LifeStraw. I don't mind the flexibility of being able to put any water I'm near through my LifeStraw water bottle.

I want a Berkey but it isn't in our budget so we are making do with LifeStraw. I don't mind the flexibility of being able to put any water I'm near through my LifeStraw water bottle.
I know it can be a price shocker but they also sell Scratch & Dent.
For our family of three adults with two large dogs;
We replace the (white) PF-2 filters every six months and the black filter every 3 years.
We also use Berkey shower filter.

I know it can be a price shocker but they also sell Scratch & Dent.
For our family of three adults with two large dogs;
We replace the (white) PF-2 filters every six months and the black filter every 3 years.
We also use Berkey shower filter.
I need to look into the berkey shower filter. Do you like it? We have Aquasana now, but I don't like how bulky it is.

I need to look into the berkey shower filter. Do you like it? We have Aquasana now, but I don't like how bulky it is.

Yes we do like it. We've been using them for a few years now.
When we want/need to take a bath, we use the showerhead to fill the tub. I didn't note how often we replace them for that reason. Mostly we use the shower but if we have muscle pain or stuffiness we take a bath (flu & allergy season).

Some people act like you can't get accurate information from Twitter. There are mainstream media outlets on Twitter too (before anyone comes at me, I don't follow them so they don't show up on my feed, but I can search for them if I want to) for the people that like to get their info from them. You can get all sides of a story just by researching on Twitter. And, links are allowed to external websites for articles and studies to research. I honestly think the Twitter bashers are ones that have never used it or don't know how to use it....lol.
SO TRUE! and like you said i can get all sides. Usually what i do is if i see something i get off and look it up from a more reliable source

If there is some lightheartedness I can offer this thread, it would be to watch Russell Brand's YouTube video about this. I'm sure it depends on your sense of humor, but he makes me laugh with his coverage of news, even when it's a terrifying subject.

It's funny you posted that because I watched that Video today. I don't know how I stumbled on it because I've never heard of the guy, but my kids knew who he was.

From the FEMA website-flyer about disaster assistance
We need to help these American citzens

https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/...igrants-disaster-assistance_english_flyer.pdf

You May Be Able to Get Disaster Assistance FEMA and the state, territory or tribal government may provide direct and financial disaster assistance to U.S. citizens, non-citizen nationals and qualified aliens. Disaster assistance may include money for temporary rental assistance, home repairs, personal property loss and other serious disaster-related needs or expenses not covered by insurance or other means.

It's funny you posted that because I watched that Video today. I don't know how I stumbled on it because I've never heard of the guy, but my kids knew who he was.
Just FYI, he is hysterical. I saw him in some stuff when he was actively in movies, etc. I never was a fan. He got sober and focused on his well-being and now he does this podcast on current news.

His style just make me laugh. He shows a variety of reporting (newspapers, magazines, online sites) and then gives his perspective. He does not affiliate with a party as Americans might expect.

Check out his YouTube channel and maybe watch his most popular episodes. You'll get a sense of his style. His impression of Klaus Schwab is amazing.

The city of Cincinnati is turning off there Ohio River municipal water intake out of an abundance of caution.

We have a history in this country of only making changes after a total disaster happens. Close calls don't seem to make us move so I'm hoping as bad as this is it at least becomes a catalyst to some change.

A lot of questionable practices came to light a few months ago with all the talk about the railroad strike and what the workers were demanding. This really isn't a surprised before in the industry. Where I live we have one of the busiest switch yards in the country so I know a couple people who have worked or do work in the railroad industry. None of them are surprised by this and thought an accident like this was inevitable.

The city of Cincinnati is turning off there Ohio River municipal water intake out of an abundance of caution.

We have a history in this country of only making changes after a total disaster happens. Close calls don't seem to make us move so I'm hoping as bad as this is it at least becomes a catalyst to some change.

A lot of questionable practices came to light a few months ago with all the talk about the railroad strike and what the workers were demanding. This really isn't a surprised before in the industry. Where I live we have one of the busiest switch yards in the country so I know a couple people who have worked or do work in the railroad industry. None of them are surprised by this and thought an accident like this was inevitable.
The only thing I had read was about the bearing being quite worn and at the point of failure. If the issue is lack of continual maintenance that is extremely important to address.

Outside of that what are you referring to with respects to this train derailment? Like are they saying the drivers are working too many hours and the driver of this incident was too fatigued to drive it?

Although I did also hear that a "loophole" (and I say that in quotes because I didn't look into what they were referring to) meant the state was not notified that hazardous material was on that train. I don't know what my state rules are aside from autonomous vehicles are prohibited in the state if they carry hazardous materials (among some other qualifications) but I don't know if a train or semi or whatever is required to notify the state. And we are typically considered to have the busiest rail yard outside of Chicago nearby (sometimes the busiest in the nation here depending on the metrics).

The only thing I had read was about the bearing being quite worn and at the point of failure. If the issue is lack of continual maintenance that is extremely important to address.

Outside of that what are you referring to with respects to this train derailment? Like are they saying the drivers are working too many hours and the driver of this incident was too fatigued to drive it?

Although I did also hear that a "loophole" (and I say that in quotes because I didn't look into what they were referring to) meant the state was not notified that hazardous material was on that train. I don't know what my state rules are aside from autonomous vehicles are prohibited in the state if they carry hazardous materials (among some other qualifications) but I don't know if a train or semi or whatever is required to notify the state. And we are typically considered to have the busiest rail yard outside of Chicago nearby (sometimes the busiest in the nation here depending on the metrics).
Fewer employees are doing more jobs for longer hours, maintenance windows are being extended, trains are being loaded longer and heavier, and the locomotive industry has far too much power to make their own safety regulations or lobby regulations out of bills in Congress.

All of that is ignoring the question about whether or not we should be even transporting some of these materials at all.

Fewer employees are doing more jobs for longer hours, maintenance windows are being extended, trains are being loaded longer and heavier, and the locomotive industry has far too much power to make their own safety regulations or lobby regulations out of bills in Congress.

All of that is ignoring the question about whether or not we should be even transporting some of these materials at all.
For example, this train was 2 miles long and had the old braking system. It did not have the updated pneumatic system.

I believe the rail strike (within the last 2 months) was referencing the PSR model that the rail companies are using. "Precision Scheduled Railroading" aka using less people and more computers to monitor the train.

Norfolk Southern also successfully lobbied to avoid having to update their safety features, including the brake system I mentioned above. That's an entirely separate issue to address with congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter