• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh no my parents are headed to MK tomorrow with "those people"

The people we know who hate Disney and dismiss it as a kiddie place are almost always the same people who roll their eyes and think it's childish to dress up for Halloween or do other silly/fun stuff. While there's nothing wrong with disliking that sort of thing, to me, they're not young at heart. We all have to grow up, we don't necessarily have to grow old.

Maybe this couple will let me do the planning for the rest of the day after they see that I got them a POTC FP+ for right when they step off JC and I'll get them another as soon as they tap for POTC.
I basically carved out today to be at the computer for my parents needs since they admit they don't really "get" it.

My personal opinion is that most toddlers are too young to appreciate WDW. I first took my kids when they were 5 and 8 and that was perfect. No strollers, no naps, no whining.... it was fantasic !

Why would anyone do that to themselves? I love Epcot now (especially because I can truly enjoy WS) but a bunch of little kids would be bored out of their skull

Depends on how you approach the experience, IMO. If you don't put the effort in to make anything fun, it's not going to be fun. My kids loved EPCOT on our first trip, ages 2 and 5. One of their favorites - the jumping water fountain by Figment.

Who would take kids that young to the very WORST park for preschoolers? Yowsa? That should be a "Disney" crime!

Why do you think it's the worst for preschoolers? There's the interactive area at Figment, the KIDcot stations, Living Seas, and our fave, the jumping water outside Figment. Plus the trains in Germany, the drums at the outpost, the maze in United Kingdom, koi ponds in Japan, and the interactive stuff in Innoventions.

My personal opinion is that most toddlers are too young to appreciate WDW. I first took my kids when they were 5 and 8 and that was perfect. No strollers, no naps, no whining.... it was fantasic !

I had a 2 and 5 year old and there was no whining, and the 2 yr old napped in the easy to deal with umbrella stroller. She appreciated it all plenty - she had loads of fun. It was a perfect first trip.

My parents are going with anther couple in February and see it as a challenge to show them what fun it is for adults. They invited them along expressly to have the opportunity to share the adult appeal. OP, hopefully your parents will enjoy sharing the magic!

I agree with this as well (not telling anyone else what to do though). My son was only 3 on our first trip and didn't really "get it" that year. The only reason we went when he was so young is that his sisters were 6 and 9 at the time and it was perfect for them.

Dan

I went on a trip and someone in the group didn't want to go, wanted to go for their kid but was not looking forward to the trip at all, just wanted to get it over with. By the third day he was looking into DVC.

I agree with this as well (not telling anyone else what to do though). My son was only 3 on our first trip and didn't really "get it" that year. The only reason we went when he was so young is that his sisters were 6 and 9 at the time and it was perfect for them.

Dan

I've heard parents say that when you bring very young children and babies to Walt Disney World, you're not doing it for them. You're doing it for yourself, and for the memories you'll have of them, in Disney at that age.

That makes good sense to me! Seeing a toddler run up to a character, or play in a fountain, can be incredibly cute. They won't remember it, but you will.

Our kids were 7 and 9 the first time we visited, which worked out well for them. But I can see the appeal in bringing toddlers. Especially if you're willing to go at their pace, keep the days short, and focus on things that they enjoy.

That’s a lot of money for a few hours! I just don’t understand people like that! At least your parents were hopefully able to have a good evening alone!

The other couple are FL residents and looking at their tickets they have "weekday select passes" not sure if that is a particular type of annual pass? But they were already going this week to multiple parks so either way they didn't just buy a one day MK ticket.
Although my family is the type to go from RD to past closing because we like to get our money worth.

Edited:
Never mind - joined an off topic sidebar convo and don’t want to contribute to the thread getting too far off track.

Last edited:
Why do you think it's the worst for preschoolers? There's the interactive area at Figment, the KIDcot stations, Living Seas, and our fave, the jumping water outside Figment. Plus the trains in Germany, the drums at the outpost, the maze in United Kingdom, koi ponds in Japan, and the interactive stuff in Innoventions.

Well, something has to be worst. :). But it is partially my own personal bias as I remember being DRAGGED around the boring World Showcase in the 80s when I was like 9-10. I mean, I remember loving Future World, but the World showcase was a slog.

Frankly it is too much walking for very little attractions. Sure . .there are enough attractions for kids, but I find them few and far between. Compared to the other parks, I just feel it has the least "preschooler" attractions and the most walking. Is it AWFUL? No. but it is the worse (in my opinion). Animal Kingdom has the animal exhibits and shows even though the kids can't go on Everest or Dinosaur. DHS has the Disney Junior stuff, TSMM, a ton of meet and greets and all the shows that are right up little kids alley (like Muppets, Frozen and Little Mermaid). And MK .. well. no need to explain that.

I decided not to go there until my son was tall enough to go on at least Test Track and Soarin'. I just felt there wasn't enough attractions there to warrant a full day at Epcot with a 2-3 yo. It was also because I decided to do only two park days on his first two trips .. so we had to cut something. And I decided to cut Epcot out until his THIRD trip when he was tall enough.

We went last March (he was 5) with his friends and he enjoyed Epcot (though he and his friend were VERY upset that the car they painstakingly designed in the Test Track queue did NOT show up to get into. :)). His sister (5 mo) obviously didn't have much to do .. though she was fascinated by Turtle Talk. My take has changed a little bit, seeing how my son enjoyed the things we did do (Test Track, Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Turtle Talk, Garden Grill, the Land, and just getting fun pictures at all the topiaries during Flower and Garden). We also avoided the World Showcase in order to avoid tiring/boring the kids. With an infant, our days were purposely cut short.

A lot of people give me that response for going to Disney without children. They just don't get it. There is a right and a wrong way to do Disney as an adult and the people who don't think that adults can have even more fun than kids at Disney have just never gone with the right people or the right attitude. I vote they stay home and I go in their place!

Well, something has to be worst. :). But it is partially my own personal bias as I remember being DRAGGED around the boring World Showcase in the 80s when I was like 9-10. I mean, I remember loving Future World, but the World showcase was a slog.

Frankly it is too much walking for very little attractions. Sure . .there are enough attractions for kids, but I find them few and far between. Compared to the other parks, I just feel it has the least "preschooler" attractions and the most walking. Is it AWFUL? No. but it is the worse (in my opinion). Animal Kingdom has the animal exhibits and shows even though the kids can't go on Everest or Dinosaur. DHS has the Disney Junior stuff, TSMM, a ton of meet and greets and all the shows that are right up little kids alley (like Muppets, Frozen and Little Mermaid). And MK .. well. no need to explain that.

I decided not to go there until my son was tall enough to go on at least Test Track and Soarin'. I just felt there wasn't enough attractions there to warrant a full day at Epcot with a 2-3 yo. It was also because I decided to do only two park days on his first two trips .. so we had to cut something. And I decided to cut Epcot out until his THIRD trip when he was tall enough.

We went last March (he was 5) with his friends and he enjoyed Epcot (though he and his friend were VERY upset that the car they painstakingly designed in the Test Track queue did NOT show up to get into. :)). His sister (5 mo) obviously didn't have much to do .. though she was fascinated by Turtle Talk. My take has changed a little bit, seeing how my son enjoyed the things we did do (Test Track, Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Turtle Talk, Garden Grill, the Land, and just getting fun pictures at all the topiaries during Flower and Garden). We also avoided the World Showcase in order to avoid tiring/boring the kids. With an infant, our days were purposely cut short.

By contrast, my kids LOVED the World Showcase first at 7 and 9, and again at 9 and 11. They did crafts and got stamps at each country, watched the shows and talked to cast members. My daughter was singled out for a show in Morocco (he put rose water in her hands?). They stumbled across a surprise Winnie the Pooh meet and greet in the back of the UK, and they had the characters all to themselves. They also ran into Alice and Mary Poppins and Brother Bear. There were no waits for meet-and-greets. They discovered hidden parts of the various showcases. And then they asked to come back the next day, because we'd only done half of the World Showcase, and they wanted to see the rest.

I think they enjoyed the slower pace of touring, and the fact that we weren't just going from ride to ride all day. But I can definitely see how you might have to make some hard choices when it comes to a short trip. We were lucky in that our trips were all at least a week long, so we had time to check out everything at our leisure.

When we asked them to rank the parks, they rated Epcot as their favourite, followed by Magic Kingdom/Animal Kingdom and finally Hollywood Studios (tbf, this was in 2005 and 2007, so before TSMM). Though, it was a hard choice to make, because they really did enjoy all the parks. I think, after much debate, we agreed that while there were definitely "best" parks for each of us, there were no actual "worst" parks.

This is the kids at 9 and 11, at their surprise Winnie the Pooh meet and greet. We didn't even know Christopher Robin's bedroom was in the back of the shop, until we stumbled into it and found all the characters!

5zfT3N6.jpg

Dan

just took my 3 year old niece for her first trip. She was at an incredible age and it was wonderful watching her delight and excitement. Will she remember it? Likely not. But we will - and that's what I wanted. I waited until my kids were 8/9 and now regret missing the little kid stage. Then again, it was the right decision for my expected once and done. Once I discovered WDW was an annual pilgrimage - well, I wished I had started taking them earlier.

I went on an adult only trip with my girlfriend last year and loved it. DH and I are longing for the right excuse to do an adult only trip there.

just took my 3 year old niece for her first trip. She was at an incredible age and it was wonderful watching her delight and excitement. Will she remember it? Likely not. But we will - and that's what I wanted. I waited until my kids were 8/9 and now regret missing the little kid stage. Then again, it was the right decision for my expected once and done. Once I discovered WDW was an annual pilgrimage - well, I wished I had started taking them earlier.

I went on an adult only trip with my girlfriend last year and loved it. DH and I are longing for the right excuse to do an adult only trip there.

To each their own, and I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just add this and be done with the whole "what age is best for a first visit"...

I have nothing against people bringing whatever age kids they want for the first visit. For us, I think 5 is about a perfect start. We still had an amazing time with our 3 year old that first trip. Knowing what I know now, if it would have only been him we would have waited a couple of years before our first trip. That first trip is still our best, but not because our son was 3, it was because his older sisters, my wife and I, and my MIL and FIL were all visiting for the very first time and it was just one magical experience after another for an entire week. :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes After that, we were hooked. :)

Edited to add that I started a poll so this can discussed in a different thread.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/best-age-for-childs-first-visit-to-wdw-poll-inside.3650744/

Dan

Last edited:
We took my sister-in-law and her husband many years ago when we only had a four day park hopper. She moaned the whole time, could (would?) not see the point of WDW and just hung around outside the rides whilst the rest of us had some fun. It was on the last day, mid afternoon, when she actually stopped and watched the show in front of the castle in MK - totally awed her, couldn't take her eyes of off of it and was finally converted! Should have made her stop to watch it on our first day then the whole holiday would have been more enjoyable for all of us - sigh - c'est la vie. :)

Not really a question just more of a vent I guess

They are going with a couple that has been to WDW a few times since moving to Florida but never to MK because "isn't it for toddlers?"

My parents have been going since 1973 and both love MK and now in their 70's its still the most appealing park to them.
My mom was telling their friends how fun the attractions are and this couple just isn't buying it.
I'm hoping my parents don't let this couple get them down tomorrow.
I was one of those people back in the 80's - walked (more like dragged by my wife and 16 year old daughter!) into MK and was actually converted in about 10 seconds. I too am in my 70's now (or as I say below - 70 going on 7) and MK is always our first stop when we get to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter