Oh My! – The Brits Are At It Again! **COMPLETED** 11/13/11

Just read the whole report from the start.......some great photos :thumbsup2
Looking forward to more instalments :goodvibes

DisneyUnited..............Welcome to the DIS!!!! :welcome:

I can't believe I've only found this section of the dis website in the last few days, its amazing! Thank for taking the time and trouble to do such an informative report, it's been a huge help to me planning our May trip - and I found it in the nick of time as we hit our 180 day mark a few days ago. :thumbsup2

Slight downside though, I've spent HOURS reading through the reports, when I should really have been doing other things :tigger:

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Oh boy you are in trouble now; these boards are seriously addictive :surfweb:

Just read the whole report from the start.......some great photos :thumbsup2
Looking forward to more instalments :goodvibes

DisneyUnited..............Welcome to the DIS!!!! :welcome:

Great to have you reading along; I am a big fan of your TRs :goodvibes

I tried the Red Velvet cupcake in May. It was pretty good but I agree very sweet. I might try the Butterfinger one next time. Looking forward to the next instalment! :thumbsup2

Your cupcakes look deeeeeelicious! Although I do have to say, I know better! I tried the Butterfinger Cupcake on our last trip per the recommendations of people on the DIS and I was amazed at how much I didn't like it. :headache:

I love sweets, but the huge pile of white icing under the chocolate coating was enough to send someone into a sugar coma. I can't believe he ate the whole thing! :rotfl:

Loving the reviews, keep em comin!

I tried the Red Velvet cupcake in May. It was pretty good but I agree very sweet. I might try the Butterfinger one next time. Looking forward to the next instalment! :thumbsup2

You need a very sweet tooth for the Butterfinger Cupcake but it's certainly worth trying :thumbsup2

Your cupcakes look deeeeeelicious! Although I do have to say, I know better! I tried the Butterfinger Cupcake on our last trip per the recommendations of people on the DIS and I was amazed at how much I didn't like it. :headache:

I love sweets, but the huge pile of white icing under the chocolate coating was enough to send someone into a sugar coma. I can't believe he ate the whole thing! :rotfl:

Loving the reviews, keep em comin!

I know what you mean, sometimes there is just too much frosting but I guess they want them to look as spectacular as possible
I am really looking forward to trying the Marble Cupcake next :goodvibes

Mmm Starring Rolls cupcakes = :cloud9: I loved the Red Velvet one.

I also tried the Peco's Bill Vegetarian burger and have to agree in that it was edible but nothing great.

Wednesday 12th October Part Two

Lunch today was to be at the Hollywood Brown Derby and was another first time experience for us

First off we both really liked the decor and atmosphere of this restaurant, it’s sophisticated without feeling overly formal and the dark woods and ‘derby’ shaped light fixtures really added to the overall Old Hollywood feel of the dining room

You could easily forget that you were in a theme park and it’s a wonderful setting to get away from the crowds for a while

Although the lunch and dinner menus are the same I can well imagine this being a very romantic setting for an evening meal :hug:

Once we had checked in at the podium we were seated pretty much right away and handed our menus before being introduced to our server

Before we get tucked in to the food and drink reviews, I have to say that this was probably the best service we received all trip

Our server was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the menu and was always keen to make suggestions and recommendations

So onto business ……

You know sometimes when you are handed a menu you instantly spot something that is literally calling your name?

An item that could have been designed just for you?

Well let me just say that I lost all focus on selecting food when I spotted a few words that said so much

IMG_5225.jpg

DH - Umm, are you OK? You have gone very quite and have a stupid smirk on your face

Me - Oh sweet heaven, bring this to me NOW :yay: (sorry, I really did say please and thank you when I ordered)

IMG_5226.jpg

Margarita Flight

Our wonderful server delivered these babies to me with a huge flourish and smile and after telling me which one was his favourite (The Mango) he even suggested a good order in which to drink each one

They were all delicious but the Mango was the winner :cloud9:

DH stuck with water and we were given our bread and butter whilst deciding on our entrees

IMG_5228.jpg

Butter

IMG_5229.jpg

Bread

Nothing remarkable here and not worth filling up on, they were just standard warm white rolls

Our server was such a star we basically told him to deliver his favourite meat dish for DH and his favourite fish dish for me

IMG_5231.jpg

Sterling Silver Pork Chop topped with Smoked Gouda and Apricot Preserve served over Napa Cabbage, Bacon, and Potato Hash with Apple Cider Jus

DH loved this, he said the pork was tender and packed with flavour; all of the accompaniments worked perfectly together and the Apple Cider Jus was off the scale good.

Needless to say he cleared his plate

Next up my entrée:

IMG_5233.jpg

Coriander-dusted Grouper, Cauliflower Risotto, fresh English Peas, crunchy Sunchokes, and a Yellow Tomato Coulis

This was 100%, 10 out of 10, Five Star, A+ DELICIOUS :worship:

The Gorgeous presentation was not let down by the subtle and yet taste bud delighting flavours

The fish was as fresh and flaky as could be and the sauce didn’t overpower the delicate fish

I would order this dish again in a heartbeat

So at this point we knew that our server would not point us in the wrong direction so asked him to order his two favourite desserts for us

IMG_5234.jpg

A Brown Derby Original!
Grapefruit Cake–Light Layers of Yellow Cake with fresh Grapefruit Cream Cheese Icing

IMG_5236.jpg

Banana White Chocolate Toffee Tower on Cocoa-Almond Cookie and Bananas “Foster”

Don’t they look pretty?

The presentation of every dish at HBD was perfect and I love to see some effort and attention to detail when serving food

Our server suggested that we share the two dishes; take a bite of grapefruit cake, then a bite of the banana mousse and to be sure to make sure that our last spoonful of the day was the mousse

Boy does he know what he is talking about :banana:

These two desserts are the perfect partnership and top marks yet again to our server for suggesting them both

I think you have probably noticed how much we enjoyed our lunch here and we’re so glad we finally got round to trying it

We’ve now tried all but one of the signatures and I have to admit that HBD was kind of down the bottom of the list to try

Well it’s just gone to the top

Coming Up Next - Dinner And A Date With The Headless Horseman

Great HBD review. The server can really make a huge difference, especially when they know their stuff. Do you happen to remember the server's name?

HBD is not on our list for next year - I'm starting to think that maybe it should be.....:rolleyes1

Great review Linda - fantastic, mouthwatering pictures!:thumbsup2

I'm so happy that you enjoyed Hollywood Brown Derby! It's my favorite restaurant in any WDW park (even above Bistro de Paris), and the perfect place for a lunch in Hollywood Studios (if I ever stayed in the park until dinner time, it would be a perfect choice for dinner too). :goodvibes

I miss that grapefruit cake so much right now. Some people really don't like it, but it's perfect for me. :love:

I've missed a couple of updates. :sad2:

Sorry Columbia Harbor House was not open for you. Your bun does look like a float went over it; funny, when we ate there, mine was fine. :confused3

Those cupcakes have me absolutely drooling right now as I only had a small salad for lunch which was not nearly enough to satisfy my hunger pains.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal at Brown Derby. We went in 2007 and had horrible service (the worse sevice we have ever had at Disney) and an unforgettable meal and we've hesitated going back. I know if we do that Mark won't get the grapefruit cake as he detested it. But, perhaps he would like it better if he ate it the way you and hubby did.

And I love the haircut story. :goodvibes

Wow, those cupcakes look heavenly! They remind me of Crumbs. (Huge cupcake chain we have here in NY.)

The food at HBD looks amazing as well, esp. the margaritas! :lmao:

Sounds like the whole experience was great for you at HBD. The pork looks and sounds delicious to me and the desserts looked stellar too! :goodvibes

WOW!!! HBD has shot to the top of my must do list quickly! This is the third "rave" review I've read lately. Have to re-tweak my February ADR's.:goodvibes

:thumbsup2 for the red velvet cupcake - I tried it too on our last trip and enjoyed it very much, but these things are sweet .... and I do mean SWEET!! :rotfl2:

:worship: your DH for finishing the butterfinger one! :thumbsup2

Love the BD review - we didn't enjoy it just as much on our last trip even though the food was very good. There were lots of loud (crying) kids in there and it made it a bit awkward with the "overdressed" waiters. ;)

HBD holds lots of sentimental memories for me, i've eaten there four times now, once with my mum and dad, once just me and boyfriend (now DH) and twice with DH and the children.It never fails to delight me:love:
We've given it a miss the past few times, wanting to spread our wings, but reading your review is making me think now:confused3

I NEED MORE ADRS:lmao:

Mmmmmm cupcakes! I was just thinking about what to make for dinner and I saw your reviews and now I'm even more hungry! The pork also looks delicious. I'm so glad you guys enjoyed your time there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter