Official MLB 2024 Season Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Texas Rangers)

The first use of the "extra innings put a runner on second rule" happened last night in Oakland. It made no difference.
In Oakland we win extra innings games the old fashioned way, with a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 10th.

Time to scrap the runner on second rule. LOL>

I’ve been to their “new” stadium. One summer night I thought that shorts would be fine. The last time I was there it was for a concert. It

I’ve been to Candlestick for preseason football and baseball. It’s a miserably windy place. The Giants gave away the Croix de Candlestick to anyone who stayed until the conclusion of an extra inning night game.

Croix_de_Candlestick.JPG

My dad got tickets for a day baseball game there. Right behind home plate about 20 rows back. It was a sunny day and I wore shorts. But we left as soon as the shade started, because direct sun was the only thing that kept us warm enough with the swirling winds. I did get some suite tickets from my company. They leased the suite for the entire year, mostly for entertaining customers at football games. The baseball season was mostly distributed to employees. It was OK with the windows closed, but still miserable from the parking lot until we got inside and closed the door.
Never been to the Giants new ball park (PacBell, AT& T or is it ORACLE now?). I LOVED Candlestick for both baseball and football, especially before they enclosed it and cut off the view of the bay. Hey, it's San Francisco, it's cold there every day.

Rookie mistake. :p I always extend my recording by an hour, then record the next show, just in case.
I did extend it for an hour as my standard recording setting for all baseball games. My recording is 4 hours. Game time was 7:15 and the box score says 3:46.

Not sure about extending it to the next program, since that would overlap with the extended recording. DVRs are convenient to handle tightly scheduled programming, but are a pain for live events that go long.

When I had a VCR, I would actually extend the recording longer than my tape. I managed to catch some extra long games, like a 16 inning A's-Yankees game. That was also back when we only had a single regional sports cable channel. There were a ton of complains by Giants fans that they weren't just preempting the A's game. That was during Barry Bonds HR record chase, so they did cut away to his at bats.

Never been to the Giants new ball park (PacBell, AT& T or is it ORACLE now?). I LOVED Candlestick for both baseball and football, especially before they enclosed it and cut off the view of the bay. Hey, it's San Francisco, it's cold there every day.
Was SBC Park at one time. I think Candlestick was closed off before I was born.

I think the virtual fan thing is a little creepy.
Kind of liked the stuffed animals in the stands for the Korean games.

Well it was a nice experiment. Shut it down. All sports should be cancelled until next season.

The Miami Marlins' home opener against the Baltimore Orioles on Monday night has been canceled, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan, as coronavirus cases continue to pop up among the team.

Eight more players and two coaches with the Marlins have tested positive for coronavirus, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

The Marlins remain in Philadelphia and continue to undergo testing after their weekend series there.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads

If the season ended today ...
The matchups: Here's what the first round of the expanded playoffs would look like, based on the standings after the most recent day's games.

Best-of-three series, higher seed is home team

AMERICAN LEAGUE
No. 1 Rays* vs. No. 8 Blue Jays*
No. 2 Twins* vs. No. 7 Indians*
No. 3 Athletics* vs. No. 6 Astros
No. 4 White Sox* vs. No. 5 Yankees*

NATIONAL LEAGUE
No. 1 Dodgers* vs. No. 8 Giants
No. 2 Braves* vs. No. 7 Reds
No. 3 Cubs* vs. No. 6 Marlins
No. 4 Padres* vs. No. 5 Cardinals

*Clinched playoff spot

Magic numbers to clinch playoff spot

NL: Marlins 2, Reds 3, Giants 4, Cardinals 4 (due to St. Louis having played fewer games).

AL: Astros 1

Unfortunately my favorite teams did not do well but still enjoyed the season. Congrats and good luck to everyone in the playoffs!

If the season ended today ...
The matchups: Here's what the first round of the expanded playoffs would look like, based on the standings after the most recent day's games.

Best-of-three series, higher seed is home team

AMERICAN LEAGUE
No. 1 Rays* vs. No. 8 Blue Jays*
No. 2 Twins* vs. No. 7 Indians*
No. 3 Athletics* vs. No. 6 Astros
No. 4 White Sox* vs. No. 5 Yankees*

NATIONAL LEAGUE
No. 1 Dodgers* vs. No. 8 Giants
No. 2 Braves* vs. No. 7 Reds
No. 3 Cubs* vs. No. 6 Marlins
No. 4 Padres* vs. No. 5 Cardinals

*Clinched playoff spot

Magic numbers to clinch playoff spot

NL: Marlins 2, Reds 3, Giants 4, Cardinals 4 (due to St. Louis having played fewer games).

AL: Astros 1

Rays Up!

Yeah, but we have to help ourselves. Got some free baseball coming up.

Yeah, but we have to help ourselves. Got some free baseball coming up.
I've been keeping up with the score. This is a fun time for sports fans. I have windows open & recordings set for the Rays, Marlins, Heat & Lightning. We'll be watching recorded games all night.

4-3 Marlins, middle of 10th. We should have had more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter