Official MLB 2024 Season Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Texas Rangers)

The "seek-wit weapon" the Marlins have is that they are very accustomed to playing in empty ballparks.

"Re-wees de seek-wit weapon!"

Very excited for baseball and (more excited for) hockey to start. I knew I watched sports mostly, but didn't realize just how much I watch them until the last 4 months. I did watch alot of Netflix/prime/hbo the first couple months of the virus, but I got kind of burnt out on it. So excited to have sports back. Just hope that everyone can stay safe and it can continue.

Hoping the shortened season is good for the Pirates. They usually seem to have a really good month or so every season so the shortened season could do them well. I don't expect much, but would be nice for them to play well.

I am sure the O’s will be horrid but at least my other favorite team the Nats have a shot at doing well. I hope they don’t have the they really suck this year after winning the WS season. I am looking forward to baseball even if just on tv and not in person.

Given the news that the Jays won't be playing out of Toronto this season (inevitable, but still disappointing), I don't have much hope for their chances.

Go Giants!

(I will root for my team, even though I don't fell they should be playing right now.)

"LET'S GO OAKLAND!!!" :)

It has been fun watching them rerun the A's Playoff Games and World Series Games (especially 1989 when they swept the Giants)

I'm lucky, I was at Spring Training in March so have 5 2020 in person games under my belt. Last game was rained out 2 hours before MLB canceled Spring Training due to the pandemic.

I really don't care who wins in 2020, just nice to have some games to watch, even if only on TV.

And full disclosure, I WAS a Giants fan until they traded away Mays, McCovey and Marichal. And then they moved out of Candlestick the first Major League Park I ever saw a game at. I still haven't forgiven the Giants for any of that. And then they have the gall to call the street the new stadium is on Willie Mays Plaza and the cover outside the right field fence McCovey cover. What part of YOU TRADED YOUR STAR PLAYERS AWAY don't you get. ;)

"LET'S GO OAKLAND!!!" :)
I'm happy when the A's are doing well also. Until I worked for a brewery Ale House and "had to" pick a team to rote for I didn't really have a preference between the two.

I'm lucky, I was at Spring Training in March so have 5 2020 in person games under my belt.

I've never even seen a game in person. Going to a Giants game is on my I'd like to do list.

I really don't care who wins in 2020, just nice to have some games to watch, even if only on TV.

I don't have regular TV so I doubt I will even get to see game on TV. :(

And full disclosure, I WAS a Giants fan until they traded away Mays, McCovey and Marichal. And then they moved out of Candlestick the first Major League Park I ever saw a game at. I still haven't forgiven the Giants for any of that.
I've never been to Candlestick, but the current park is a great setting -- although it can get REALLY cold there. IMHO, it's one of the nicest settings I've seen, although PNC in Pittsburgh is my all time fave.

I've never been to Candlestick, but the current park is a great setting -- although it can get REALLY cold there. IMHO, it's one of the nicest settings I've seen, although PNC in Pittsburgh is my all time fave.
LOL. Candlestick had the reputation of being the COLDEST baseball park.

LOL. Candlestick had the reputation of being the COLDEST baseball park.
I know, but they are situated in a similar orientation to the Bay. If the wind is blowing off the water, I'm sure either one can be miserable. The new park (ATT?) was freezing one time when we were there.

Just have empty seats. Turned on to watch the Mets and Yankees play. They had cardboard cutouts of people behind home plate. Lol. Quickly turned the channel.

The Blue Jays were denied approval to play by the Canadian government. They may play in their spring training facility in Florida or at their AAA team's stadium in Buffalo.

https://apnews.com/72e93f0780cad703e4d6bd1d47ed2aefThe team had been given clearance by city and provincial governments to play in its home stadium and was awaiting approval from Canada’s federal government. The other 29 Major League Baseball teams plan to play in their home ballparks, without spectators, when the pandemic-shortened 60-game season begins on July 23.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown and Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz have pushed for the team to relocate to the city.

The Blue Jays were denied approval to play by the Canadian government. They may play in their spring training facility in Florida or at their AAA team's stadium in Buffalo.

https://apnews.com/72e93f0780cad703e4d6bd1d47ed2aefThe team had been given clearance by city and provincial governments to play in its home stadium and was awaiting approval from Canada’s federal government. The other 29 Major League Baseball teams plan to play in their home ballparks, without spectators, when the pandemic-shortened 60-game season begins on July 23.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown and Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz have pushed for the team to relocate to the city.
I'm surprised they don't play home games in one of the cities MLB is thinking of expanding to. Even without crowds, that would generate local community interest and support. In the east, Charlotte seems like a likely location -- much bigger city, with a vibrant business community and lots to offer.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they don't play home games in one of the cities MLB is thinking of expanding to. Even without crowds, that would generate local community interest and support. In the east, Charlotte seems like a likely location -- much bigger city, with a vibrant business community and lots to offer.
They need a place with lighting up to MLB standards. Not sure which nearby minor league stadiums would work for that, but for some reason I'm thinking Fifth-Third Field in Toledo might be viable.

They need a place with lighting up to MLB standards. Not sure which nearby minor league stadiums would work for that, but for some reason I'm thinking Fifth-Third Field in Toledo might be viable.
Charlotte has two baseball stadiums that would probably work. There's one at UNC-Charlotte and the other is the ballpark for their Triple-A baseball team.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter