• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

We, my DH and myself, DDs age 5 and 3, will be in Orlando during the week of October 13-20th, we are planning to go to the party, so which date will be lower crowd, 14th or 16th? It will be our first time to attend the party. We probably will be hitthe Fantasy land most of the time, plus HM for jack and sally. I have some questions, hopefully someone can help me figure out. Thanks a lot!

1) if we get into the park at 4:00, are those magic shots available then? Or they are only available after 7:00?

2) if we head to Jack and Sally’s line right after we get into the park, and head to 7 dwarfs right after that, how long the waiting line will be at the dwarfs? Will Snow White be there as well?

3) if we wait for the dwarfs for the meet, do we have time for Queen of the heart and the Pooh, or even a few rides before the first Parade? Or we better wait till the second parade and doing those during the first parade? We also want to do the Disney junior dance party, who will be there besides Doc and Vampirina?

4) as of the first parade, how early do we need to be there to be able to snap a good spot for the parade and the fireworks? Where is the good spot for both?
1)No magic shots before 7
2)through the first couple of Parties, the line for Jack and Sally has started around 3:30, with many people rushing there after getting wristbands at 4. I doubt if you will get to 7 dwarfs before 6, which puts you through 7 dwarfs around 7:30-7:45 (no Snow White). Pooh is around an hour to 75 minute wait early in the Party.

This may get me shunned from the thread :snooty: but I just don’t really understand the Hocus Pocus show. I tried to watch the movie for the first time last week and gave up as it was awful. I have tried not to watch too many event and ride videos for our upcoming trip as I want to be surprised, but I have watched enough to get the gist of the Hocus Pocus stage show. Basically, the witches summon various Disney villains, including some of my favourites (Hades!), as I understand it.

If you are not into the Hocus Pocus characters, is the stage show worth watching? I’m not a total grouch - I’m really excited about everything else, but I am just finding it hard to care about the show when I’m planning out my night. I’m thinking about catching the midnight one if we have time - does that sound like a good compromise? Thanks!

I think Hocus Pocus is a nostalgia thing for a lot of people. I watched it a ton when I was younger and it was so scary to me at the time. I know a lot of people don’t understand the hype for the Peter Pan ride either, but again that’s a nostalgia ride for me. Heck I work with people who don’t get the Disney hype either! But I guess anything tied to childhood memories is worth doing/waiting for!

This may get me shunned from the thread :snooty: but I just don’t really understand the Hocus Pocus show. I tried to watch the movie for the first time last week and gave up as it was awful. I have tried not to watch too many event and ride videos for our upcoming trip as I want to be surprised, but I have watched enough to get the gist of the Hocus Pocus stage show. Basically, the witches summon various Disney villains, including some of my favourites (Hades!), as I understand it.

If you are not into the Hocus Pocus characters, is the stage show worth watching? I’m not a total grouch - I’m really excited about everything else, but I am just finding it hard to care about the show when I’m planning out my night. I’m thinking about catching the midnight one if we have time - does that sound like a good compromise? Thanks!

I've never been able to sit through the entire movie, but Hocus Pocus will be the highlight of our evening. My grandson is obsessed with Oogie Boogie and has never seen him as a character.

I don't get the love for Hocus Pocus either. I've tried watching it, and just can't. The show is pretty good though, you don't really need to know much about the movie to enjoy it. It's more than just them though, so that helps. :)

I liked the previous show much better, especially when they let the you meet the villains right after the shows.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I think if you didn’t grow up watching Hocus Pocus, it’s not one that stands the test of time well, but I’m glad to hear that there is still enough without them.

I think Hocus Pocus is a nostalgia thing for a lot of people. I watched it a ton when I was younger and it was so scary to me at the time. I know a lot of people don’t understand the hype for the Peter Pan ride either, but again that’s a nostalgia ride for me. Heck I work with people who don’t get the Disney hype either! But I guess anything tied to childhood memories is worth doing/waiting for!

I absolutely think you are right that it’s about nostalgia, and I just don’t think it was a thing in the UK - I was the right age group and a big Disney fan then, but I had never heard of it until I started planning my MNSSHP trip!

Re Peter Pan, my sister-in-law went on it for the first time 3 years ago, in her 30s, and she adored it. She doesn’t especially enjoy the film but she raves about the ride. We are doing EMM in MK, not for Mine Train, but for PP!

I've never been able to sit through the entire movie, but Hocus Pocus will be the highlight of our evening. My grandson is obsessed with Oogie Boogie and has never seen him as a character.

I think it will be wonderful to see his reaction!

The show was very good, I think one of the best Disney does, and the sisters provide the background of why the other villains are there. I do know the movie ...but I am not a fanatic, but the actors are very good at portraying the sisters..if you at least know the characters, it helps appreciate how well they do them. But overall, no, you don't need to be a fan of the movie to enjoy the show.

Huh, I thought there were Magic Shots in the Bypass, which is only open from 4:00 to about 6:00. I don't know because I arrived after 6:00.
I guess that it depends on your definition of magic shots. The bypass area does provide PhotoPass shots with props and signs. Those PhotoPass shots where something is added to the shot after the picture is taken and are exclusive to the MNSSHP won’t happen until 7 PM.

Thanks to those that also "don't get Hocus Pocus"! I never cared for the movie either.... I think the HP castle show is very good, but the show previous to HP (back in 2014?) was MUCH BETTER!
We will be sure to see the show this year but it's because one of our favorites is the "Shadow Man" Dr Facilier!!!

Thank you! Do you think you need to know/like the Hocus Pocus movie in order to enjoy the show, or are the other villains enough on their own?

I agree with watching the midnight show! In my opinion, I think knowing the movie makes the show make more sense, but you don't need to know or like the movie to enjoy it. It's fun to see the villains because you don't get to see them regularly.

I don't get the love for Hocus Pocus either. I've tried watching it, and just can't. The show is pretty good though, you don't really need to know much about the movie to enjoy it. It's more than just them though, so that helps. :)

I liked the previous show much better, especially when they let the you meet the villains right after the shows.
While I can't wrap my brain around anyone not enjoying the campy fun that is Hocus Pocus I will say no, you don't need to know the movie to enjoy the show at the Halloween Party. DH hasn't ever watched it and he enjoys it. Though I did buy the movie, Anniversary edition, so I can introduce him to it. He's been in the dark too long!

And I agree, as much as I love Hocus Pocus campy fun and the current show I miss the villain M&G after the old show. Too bad they can't combine both again.

Huh, I thought there were Magic Shots in the Bypass, which is only open from 4:00 to about 6:00. I don't know because I arrived after 6:00.
We didn't enter till after 7:00 and the bypass was open. It was the only way we could go in. Day guests were exiting the main route. No magic shots in there, just prop photos.

I guess that it depends on your definition of magic shots. The bypass area does provide PhotoPass shots with props and signs. Those PhotoPass shots where something is added to the shot after the picture is taken and are exclusive to the MNSSHP won’t happen until 7 PM.

Oh, thanks, I wasn't sure exactly what I missed (in terms of photos) by not going through the Bypass.

I'm not a Hocus Pocus fan either and can't decide if we should see the show or not. We'll probably take a wait and see approach and make a decision once there.

I'm not a Hocus Pocus fan either and can't decide if we should see the show or not. We'll probably take a wait and see approach and make a decision once there.
I’ve never seen the movie but I plan on watching it before we go. DH watched it when he was little with his sisters and said he hates it lol. We will still watch the show because we both want to see all of those villains.

He's 6 and it's one of the few things I've been able to keep from him. He has no idea!

That’s so sweet - it sounds like he will be thrilled!

The show was very good, I think one of the best Disney does, and the sisters provide the background of why the other villains are there. I do know the movie ...but I am not a fanatic, but the actors are very good at portraying the sisters..if you at least know the characters, it helps appreciate how well they do them. But overall, no, you don't need to be a fan of the movie to enjoy the show.

I did watch enough to know the characters, so it sounds like I should make the effort to see it, if only for the other villains.

Thanks to those that also "don't get Hocus Pocus"! I never cared for the movie either.... I think the HP castle show is very good, but the show previous to HP (back in 2014?) was MUCH BETTER!
We will be sure to see the show this year but it's because one of our favorites is the "Shadow Man" Dr Facilier!!!

I’m excited to see Dr Facilier too!

While I can't wrap my brain around anyone not enjoying the campy fun that is Hocus Pocus I will say no, you don't need to know the movie to enjoy the show at the Halloween Party. DH hasn't ever watched it and he enjoys it. Though I did buy the movie, Anniversary edition, so I can introduce him to it. He's been in the dark too long!

And I agree, as much as I love Hocus Pocus campy fun and the current show I miss the villain M&G after the old show. Too bad they can't combine both.

A villain M&G would be amazing. I’m surprised they never continued Clun Villain, because it sounds fantastic.

Re Hocus Pocus: If I had seen it when it came out, I think I would have really enjoyed it. However, Halloween is barely celebrated in the U.K., and certainly in 1993 a Halloween movie would not have got a lot of traction. So because I only saw it as an adult, and I’m the same age as the characters, I just cringed at how we dressed instead!

I’m going to take the advice from this thread to see the midnight show. That way, I won’t feel I’m wasting prime party hours, but I will still get to see the villains, and if we run out of time or energy then missing it is not the end of the world.

I think it's like FOP but on a much smaller scale. I can't stand the movie, but I love the area at WDW and the ride. You don't have to like the movie at all to enjoy a well produced show.

That’s an interesting analogy, because I haven’t seen Avatar either, yet I’m looking forward to riding FOP. My husband, who hated the movie, is still reluctant to even try FOP for that reason. He is already threatening to give his FOP to our niece so she can ride it twice while he sits somewhere and has a coffee.

I’ve never seen the movie but I plan on watching it before we go. DH watched it when he was little with his sisters and said he hates it lol. We will still watch the show because we both want to see all of those villains.

I can definitely see the appeal of all the villains, especially the rare ones!

Thanks everyone!

The "Real Feel" yikes! :scared:

View attachment 349698

At least no rain.

I genuinely cannot comprehend a temperature like that - I sincerely hope it cools down in the next 4 weeks! I’m Scottish: we all complain about the heat if it gets above about 70F, and when we had a “heatwave” in June when temps reached 80F, the roof of the science centre in our largest city melted!

Good luck, everyone going tonight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter