Off topic - Opinions on planning a Texas vacation

C

candyht

I know this isn't Disney related, but I need help planning a vacation to Texas. I'm thinking about planning a trip to the San Antonio/Houston/Austin areas of Texas next year. When is a good time to go to Texas. I'm looking for temperatures in the high 70's - low 80's during the day. What are the not to be missed attractions? My DH and I will be taking along our 4 year old twin girls. So far, I've got Sea World, Riverwalk & the Space Center. Any other ideas? Also what's a good hotel around the Riverwalk area?

It sounds like you are off to a great start! Definitely avoid the summer months if you don't like the heat.

Here is a recent thread on the Community Board that you might find helpful:

http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123701&highlight=Texas+vacation

If you are going all the way to NASA, Kemah Boardwalk is a great place to have dinner (its my favorite place in the Houston area). There is a small ferris wheel, a train, and some midway games for the little ones (and its new and clean!):

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

And if you like water parks, Schlitterbahn is wonderful!

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/homenoflash.htm

Well the temp. here in San Antonio was around 70 last week so finding a not so hot time to come may be a little difficult but anytime you come, I'm sure you will enjoy your visit. The riverwalk is beautiful. The Marriott Rivercenter, Marriott Riverwalk or the La Mansion are all good choices for downtown hotels. The Marriott Rivercenter is attached to a neat mall where there is a theatre and restaurants. All are directly located on the river.
If you are looking for a resort hotel, you may want to try the Westin La Cantera or the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. The Westin is located less than a mile from Fiesta Texas, an amusement park. The Hyatt is less than a mile from Sea World. Both are quite a distance from the middle of downtown but I'm sure you will find getting around town to be easy. (The Westin was coming up on priceline for a very good price, so you may want to check out www.biddingfortravel)
I agree if you want to try the best waterpark, you will want to visit Schlitterbahn.
If you have any specific questions, you can email me at msmisek@satx.rr.com

You might want to see Space Center Houston at NASA south of Houston. As far as temperatures are concerned, it is HOT all spring and summer. Unfortunately, if you want to visit SeaWorld or Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, they have much reduced hours and days they are open (basically only on week ends) except when the temperatures are in the 90s and 100s. I gave up going to them several years ago when my health would no longer allow me to be out in the 100 degree temperatures. Not only are the parks on limited hours, many of the attractions are closed until late April or May. Texas parks do not cater to people who have sensitivity to high temperatures. That is the reason I have always opposed Disney building a park in our state. Now, for an encouraging note. We have some excellent festivals held in the fall (when temperatures are in the high 70s and 80s.) The Texas Renaissance Festival is held every weekend in October and half way through November. See this site. http://www.texrenfest.com/

Hi --
You've already gotten some good info here. But if you want more, you might post your question on fodors.com/forums. Folks there are usually very helpful (tho' there are a lot of travel agents who lurk there).

Good luck!

You've recieved some excellent tips here! San Antonio is Wonderful -- Sea World and the RiverWalk are such fun. We enjoyed Fiesta Texas, too. All of the hotels on the RiverWalk are beautiful; the Marriot has a deluxe mall adjacent as well.

BUT: Your girls are much too young to really enjoy NASA. We went when my children were in grade school and they were thoroughly bored! Have you ever considered a trip to one of the beaches?? Corpus Christi and Galveston are awful, but Port Aransas and South Padre Island are awesome!

Definitely pay attention to the heat warnings. It's just as bad as everyone says! Go to the parks early, wear sunscreen and take plenty of water!

Too young for NASA, yes.

Too young for Space Center Houston, no. It caters to the little ones.

BTW, the last I heard, since 9/11 the NASA tram tour has been discontinued.

We were in Houston last April and the temp when we were there was in the High 80's. It was very hot. I'm in Michigan so there spring was like our summer. We stayed with my sister who lives there. We went down to Galveston Island which was about a 45 min. drive. a few times. It was pretty fun. There is lots of other things to do there but I can't think of the names right now. Hope this helps.

We are moving to Houston in 11 days! We have been down ( from Wisconsin) Twice since October 2001 to look at the area and buy a home. We did not bring our children with us, but were looking for fun things for them to do. While we were there, the weather was very comfotable (mid 70' -low 80's for highs). We were there in mid October then again the week before thanksgiving. Things we found really good for Kids:

- Houston Zoo
-Children's Museum
-Kemmah Boardwalk
-Park near Houston Zoo
-Space Station (really fun looking slide -need elevator to get to the top, tran is open, but not taking you to all stops and used metal detector before entering tram
-ice skating at the Galleria
Things to avoid (in my opinion):
-Galvaston (I had this great beach area built up in my mind, but i seemed very dumpy to me)
-Driving anywhere before 9 am

I don't know if this will help, but these were things that appealed to
my husband and I.

:cool:

Port Aransas/Mustang Island and South Padre Island.

Port A. is a deep-sea fishing hub -- but is surprisingly quiet. It has very clean, powdery sand, and is relatively uncommercial. We've really enjoyed our stays there.

South Padre (NOT to be confused with North Padre) has a beautiful beach -- white sand -- and therefore more development. It has more of a resort feel to it. Both are excellent choices for families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter