Odd McD’s experience today

halfpintpeggy

DIS Veteran
When I was out running errands today, I stopped into McD’s to grab a tea. After being rung up, I handed the employee $2 to pay.
I was due .50 something cents in change. Then she asks me, “Would you like to round that up?”
I was puzzled & said no, so she handed me my change.
She looked annoyed.
So then I asked her where the money goes if people round up, a Ronald McDonald house?
Or….were they short on change today?
She said she had no idea about Ronald McDonald house & they have plenty of change.
I thought this was really odd & peculiar! I have to wonder if this employee tries to pad her drawer to make extra money or something.
What do you think?

When I was out running errands today, I stopped into McD’s to grab a tea. After being rung up, I handed the employee $2 to pay.
I was due .50 something cents in change. Then she asks me, “Would you like to round that up?”
I was puzzled & said no, so she handed me my change.
She looked annoyed.
So then I asked her where the money goes if people round up, a Ronald McDonald house?
Or….were they short on change today?
She said she had no idea about Ronald McDonald house & they have plenty of change.
I thought this was really odd & peculiar! I have to wonder if this employee tries to pad her drawer to make extra money or something.
What do you think?
Why didn't you just ask?

McD does do the roundup for the Ronald McDonald house, but it’s odd the employee didn’t know that. She doesn’t sound well trained.

I’m finding more and more stores are asking me to round up or straight out to add a $1 or higher donation to my payment. It’s getting to be a bit too much.

Yes, more and more places are asking for this handout. Tax break for the companies perhaps? It's annoying.
Definitely annoying. I thought that the companies were using these donations for tax breaks as well. Turns out they cannot. Technically the donator can use that. But who is really keeping track of every 12, 27, and 4 cent donation they make? Here is a pretty good article on it if anyone wants more info:

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog/accounting/checkout-donations-charity/

If the are actually collecting for a legit charity, it would show as a line item on the receipt. That is the only way to see it itemized so the total is correct. Our grocery store does that round-up thing and you see the amount on the printed receipt.

But there has to be something in it for businesses with many companies to do it.
But what then?
Brand equity. Apparently it significantly increased sales for the first companies that tried it because it made them seem more caring and personable. So everyone is jumping on that bandwagon now.

They have been doing the Round Up campaign in my area for a few weeks. It's legit, and they were just uninformed of the cause.
We have a Ronald McDonald house next to our children's hospital. My Girl Scout troop volunteered there often and it's an amazing resource to the families who are in need. It's a legit campaign, for a legit cause.

I saw the Roundup yesterday on a order Kosiak - there are no more cashiers here (unless you stand there and wait for someone to see you and maybe help you). That is the first time but I do not go much last time was at least 2 months ago. I did not look at who it is for. A lot of other places however do this. Definitely not a scam.

Everyone in my area now does this round up thing. Literally every major store I shop in, except for maybe Target. “Would you like to round up your payment for..” Groceries, pharmacies, department stores, fast food, everybody. I was just talking about this with DH the other day because he says when he buys stuff he always rounds up and I said that’s insane and he’d better stop lol. If I did that every time I bought something it’d be like hundreds of dollars extra a year. I remember we once had a savings account that did this, whenever we bought anything it would automatically round up and put the extra into savings. It accrued quite a bit of money. I’ll donate where, when and how much I want. When a cashier asks and I say no I always feel like a terrible person for not giving to charity. Sorry for the rant lol. This really bothers me

I
I’ll donate where, when and how much I want. When a cashier asks and I say no I always feel like a terrible person for not giving to charity. Sorry for the rant lol. This really bothers me
That’s just it. Everyone is always asking for donations. I have kids in school and you get asked to donate to the local food bank multiple times a year. Faith Formation for the kids also asks for multiple donations during classes - money, food, toys for an after school program they run, etc. It just never ends. No way I’m giving money at checkout when I have these other requests for donations I feel obligated to give to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest