NYC Marathon finish line area hotels?

MrsW

Earning My Ears
Hoping anyone who has experienced NYC for the marathon can offer suggestions. My son is running this year for the 1st time and we'd like to be at the finish line to cheer as he crosses. We're thinking a hotel in reasonable distance to that area might be our best bet. We assume we would take the train into the city, most likely from NJ. Or might it be better just to take the train in and out on that day? We have no idea what might work best. If anyone has been a spectator or even a runner with suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

My wife and I stood at the finish line maybe 10 years ago. It was very exciting. If I recall then the runners were heading south down 5th ave and the finish was around 61st. Have fun and good luck to him. As far as we’re to stay, many choices. We walked from the theatre district.

We're thinking a hotel in reasonable distance to that area might be our best bet. We assume we would take the train into the city, most likely from NJ.

If you are thinking of staying in NJ, take a look at the "Plaza at Harmon Meadow," in Secaucus, NJ. It has 9 hotels there, among them: the Hyatt, Harmony Inn, Residence Inn. The NJ Bus #320 goes through the Plaza roads and has a few stops by the hotels. Then it takes one right to the NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd St and 8th Ave. Cost is about $9.00/round trip, per person. 20 minute ride.

From there, you can walk up to the marathon finish line at Central Park, or take a subway about 2 stops. Roughly every 20 numbered streets, north & south in Manhattan is 1 mile. It's built on a grid system.

Map of the Plaza at Harmon Meadow:

HMmap.jpg

Bus schedule for NJ Transit Bus #320:
https://content.njtransit.com/sites/default/files/bus_schedules/T0320.pdf

There is also a local "Park and Ride" parking lot that the #320 bus stops at on that route, if you decide to stay further away in NJ instead of at the Plaza. You can simply drive to the parking lot and get on the #320 bus to Port Authority. On the bus schedule it's called the North Bergen Park & Ride bus shelter. The parking lot is $10 per 24hrs.

Anything in the immediate vicinity of CP is going to be obscenely expensive and likely already sold out. As PP suggested, midtown is a close enough alternative - esp if you can walk. Westin on East 42nd is generally reliable.

Just a disclaimer from someone who has run several times - finding your runner as they near/cross the finish line can be very tricky - a Manhattan alternative would be cheering along 1st Ave (10-15 blocks after they cross the bridge from Queens). That point in the race tends to be challenging and many runners find that having the emotional support a is huge lift.

Good luck to your son - NYC marathon is the absolute best (as are the spectators)!!

Happy to answer any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: rlk
The NYC finish line is just past Tavern On The Green at West 67th St.

I agree with @Sprinkles&Sprint, 1st Ave is a great place to see your runner and will allow enough time to catch them again at Central Park.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for all of these suggestions - I will look into the midtown options - walking is not an issue for us and it does sound like it makes sense to cheer him on at a point he might be needing a boost. I appreciate your help! :)

We live 10 miles away so when my niece ran it last year, we just drove in, H actually found street parking near the end (wouldn’t count on that). You can see them more than once, my SIL is a pro since my nieces ran xc in HS and college, and one runs a marathon at least once a year (she’s a regional sales manager for new balance and runs a lot of races).

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest