NY metro area vs Los Angeles metro area, which reigns supreme?

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
NY metro area vs Los Angeles metro area, which reigns supreme? I think both are great even though they both have big challenges that need to be solved as well. But just for some fun banter, those who live in one of the areas or visit often, which tops your list and for what reasons?

I’m not familiar with the LA area, but have lived in the NYC metro area my entire life. I think we win regarding public transportation!
I have never been to NYC, just changed planes at JFK once almost 50 years ago but it would be hard not to have better public transportation than Los Angeles. But the flip side, in LA you are not tied to a public transit schedule, you just jump in your car and go. Slowly sometimes, but you can go whenever your want.

I have never been to NYC, just changed planes at JFK once almost 50 years ago but it would be hard not to have better public transportation than Los Angeles. But the flip side, in LA you are not tied to a public transit schedule, you just jump in your car and go. Slowly sometimes, but you can go whenever your want.
Just an FYI @tvguy , NY metro goes beyond NYC. It includes parts of CT, NJ, and the Hudson Valley (incase you didn't know). Metro North (the local train system here) does a pretty good job transportation wise. Are the trains in the LA suburbs good?

I've been to LA many times, and I just spent a week in NYC. We saw 5 fabulous shows in NYC, all within walking distance of our hotel. We hopped the subway several times to go out to Brooklyn, The Bronx Zoo and the Grand Central area. We never waited more than a few minutes for a train. And sitting in LA traffic doesn't compare to the speed of the subway. As a visitor, NYC wins for me.

That said, I would never want to live in NYC. It's a completely different lifestyle than I'm used to. The winters are too cold for my taste. I've always lived in the California suburbs (SF Bay Area). I like the freedom of having a car. I like the big, free parking lots when I need to shop. I live in a congested area, but people are spread out and not "warehoused" like they seem to be in NYC. However, my son has been living there for about a year and half and he's thriving. He loves the energy of the city and the fact that there's always something interesting to do. The theater scene is his thing and he's always entering and winning lotteries for discount show tickets. He's an actor who alternates between doing shows (all outside of NYC so far) and living in NYC, auditioning and working at his survival jobs. I really enjoy visiting him there and I'm glad he's happy and doing so well. But I'll keep my feet planted in CA.

Just an FYI @tvguy , NY metro goes beyond NYC. It includes parts of CT, NJ, and the Hudson Valley (incase you didn't know). Metro North (the local train system here) does a pretty good job transportation wise. Are the trains in the LA suburbs good?
I have no experience with the light rail system in LA. Love the article below that points out that some in Los Angeles don't even know the system exists!
Thanks for the clarification on NY metro. Does the system operated 24 hours a day,7 days a week, 365 days a year?

Local governments here from time to time would require employers to do a survey and try and get more people to use public transit or car pool. Our public transit system is not 24 hours a day and about half our staff either had shifts that started before public transit opened for the day, or ended after public transit had shutdown for the night. I have been on public transit here once in my nearly 67 years, and I was 5 at the time, and I have no idea why we just didn't drive.

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/things-to-do/los-angeles-metro-guide

I've been to LA many times, and I just spent a week in NYC. We saw 5 fabulous shows in NYC, all within walking distance of our hotel. We hopped the subway several times to go out to Brooklyn, The Bronx Zoo and the Grand Central area. We never waited more than a few minutes for a train. And sitting in LA traffic doesn't compare to the speed of the subway. As a visitor, NYC wins for me.

That said, I would never want to live in NYC. It's a completely different lifestyle than I'm used to. The winters are too cold for my taste. I've always lived in the California suburbs (SF Bay Area). I like the freedom of having a car. I like the big, free parking lots when I need to shop. I live in a congested area, but people are spread out and not "warehoused" like they seem to be in NYC. However, my son has been living there for about a year and half and he's thriving. He loves the energy of the city and the fact that there's always something interesting to do. The theater scene is his thing and he's always entering and winning lotteries for discount show tickets. He's an actor who alternates between doing shows (all outside of NYC so far) and living in NYC, auditioning and working at his survival jobs. I really enjoy visiting him there and I'm glad he's happy and doing so well. But I'll keep my feet planted in CA.
Have you visited other parts of NY before or just NYC?

I have no experience with the light rail system in LA. Love the article below that points out that some in Los Angeles don't even know the system exists!
Thanks for the clarification on NY metro. Does the system operated 24 hours a day,7 days a week, 365 days a year?

Local governments here from time to time would require employers to do a survey and try and get more people to use public transit or car pool. Our public transit system is not 24 hours a day and about half our staff either had shifts that started before public transit opened for the day, or ended after public transit had shutdown for the night. I have been on public transit here once in my nearly 67 years, and I was 5 at the time, and I have no idea why we just didn't drive.

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/things-to-do/los-angeles-metro-guide
https://new.mta.info/about

https://www.njtransit.com/our-agency/about-us

Despite common misconception, LA has an extensive public transportation system. However, service can be limited on many routes and transfers can be ill timed.

I often rode the bus to/from work when I lived in LA. Fortunately, I lived a block away from the bus stop and my place of employment was directly on the route.

But hands down NYC’s system is superior.

I would have to have lived in both places to be able to give an accurate response. I don't think visiting counts since it is a different experience, but I found LA very annoying and poorly laid out.

Because you cannot use a car in NYC? Sorry, I'm not getting how this is a "flip side"? My family that live in Manhattan all have cars (well, mainly SUVs but you get the point).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter