Numbness in foot while running; anyone else?

XoxoAmy

Attends every runDisney weekend
Looking for ideas on how to make this stop:

Typically when I run (happens 70% of the time but not every time) my right foot will go numb for a mile or so, always around mile 1.75-3 forcing me to walk for .5-.75 miles, then it goes away, and I can run another 5+ miles with no numbness.

What is up with this?? Google has not been helpful. It happens with different shoes and regardless of how loose I tie them. It also only happens on some runs, not all (same shoes on every run!). Last weekend I ran 8.7 miles, no issues.

Yesterday I wanted to run 10, but the numbness was worse than usual and I walked off and on for 3 miles (mile 2-4) and it finally went away completely but I ended up only doing 7. Go away numbness!

I can’t figure it out, but I have a half marathon coming up on 5/21 and just want it to stop! Any ideas?

Looking for ideas on how to make this stop:

Typically when I run (happens 70% of the time but not every time) my right foot will go numb for a mile or so, always around mile 1.75-3 forcing me to walk for .5-.75 miles, then it goes away, and I can run another 5+ miles with no numbness.

What is up with this?? Google has not been helpful. It happens with different shoes and regardless of how loose I tie them. It also only happens on some runs, not all (same shoes on every run!). Last weekend I ran 8.7 miles, no issues.

Yesterday I wanted to run 10, but the numbness was worse than usual and I walked off and on for 3 miles (mile 2-4) and it finally went away completely but I ended up only doing 7. Go away numbness!

I can’t figure it out, but I have a half marathon coming up on 5/21 and just want it to stop! Any ideas?
I would suggest seeing a podiatrist for answers.

Yes! This happened to me. I went to a podiatrist. He told me nerve trauma. I've been using a tens unit on it. It took 6 months, but it is finally feeling better. It was just one foot (the lead foot when I run- if that makes sense).

This used to happen to me at the end of races, and what solved it was going up a shoe size. But it sounds like yours may not be shoe related. I definitely agree with others who said see a podiatrist - even if they don't have answers, they may have other ideas for what to try.

I also had this issue, and it was my socks. They were running socks that were “tight” around the front of my upper foot- where the bend is (where the tongue of the sneaker would be). They irritated something in that area and when I stopped wearing them, the issue resolved.

I have/had this issue. For me it starts with my middle toes. I went up another half size in a shoe with a wide toe box and that finally mostly solved it. it meant my running shoes were a full size bigger than my normal shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter