Now that we are through Thanksgiving........

Now I'm really confused. What does going out to eat have to do with people's ability to purchase and store groceries for 6 weeks? I volunteer at our local rural food pantry. Because it's a small town, clients and volunteers run into each other all the time. These clients are who I think of, when I say they don't have the ability to purchase or store 6 weeks of food. And I don't see them at our local restaurants eating out a whole lot either.

It has nothing to do with it, but since posters here have given logical, valid reasons why a 6 week lockdown where 350 million people would have to stock up with enough food and supplies for that duration wouldn't work, the goal posts needed to be moved.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with it, but since posters here have given logical, valid reasons why a 6 week lockdown where 350 million people would have to stock up with enough food and supplies for that duration wouldn't work, the goal posts needed to be moved.
Not to mention that this would come 9 months into the pandemic, when many people have exhausted benefits and are near the end of their ropes already. Many have already used up their reserve cash and food.

One fascinating thing about the pandemic has been the way it reveals how some people are so unable to see and sympathize with circumstances different from their own.

Last edited:
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Things are only going to continue to get worse until the vaccine is readily available or May comes around, whichever comes first.

If everyone was told to go out and get all the food and supplies they need for a month and people cooked their own meals and ate at home. Which is not unreasonable. it an be done.
did you miss the part where I said that I'm smart and use delivery and curbside so I don't have to inside of stores? the reason we need to close up everything is because people can't follow the guidelines
How lucky that your stores had openings for delivery or curbside. I’ve been doing curbside for years (I despise grocery stores) and once March hit I couldn’t get a slot. And that was with getting on at midnight when the slots opened. I felt like I was fighting for a coveted ADR. lol. They were either booked or the stores couldn’t keep up with demand and suspended services. That lasted a good 3 months. The stores still remained packed. .

don't forget that not all places have delivery or curb-side available. it's not available at or for any of the local or national chain stores near us. if we travel to the nearest place that offers curb-side the scheduling was at least a week out during the lowest period of demand (no idea how far out it's booking now) but even then you couldn't have purchased a months worth of groceries b/c their on-line systems were set up to limit the number of individual products that could be purchased for pickup (it varied for canned goods from 3-6 of each type/brand, cleaning products, frozen foods and fresh meat couldn't be done at all).

Just saw a video from New Zealand where the person was saying that when they locked down, the only things open were hospitals, pharmacies and grocery stores. Only one person could go to the store and you could only get out and walk in your own neighborhood. They were not even allowed to “take a drive” because if you got in an accident, you would need care and potentially expose others or take resources away from the COVID battle. Not sure if this is the entire story, but could never imagine that happening here.

Here in Niagara Falls, Ontario area we lived like ^ from Mid March until after the 24thish of May. We did have take out venues though, but we were not comfortable with take out Covid being too unknown. In Summer into Fall outdoor patios were allowed if Covid measures could be followed. We may soon be back to all that again because our hot spot Ontarians are coming to our area as they are presently in lock down.

Last edited:
I plan to see my oldest daughter and her family for Christmas. We see them every week and watch my two grandbabies often. My youngest daughter still lives with us. I pray we all stay healthy so we can be together at Christmas especially for my 7 month and 1 1/2 year grandbabies.

I'm VERY lucky to live where I do. Since the pandemic started, the county I live in which consists of 5 towns only has had 38 cases of Covid. I feel we are all doing a great job here staying safe.

PLEASE continue to stay safe and don't let your guard down. I have relatives in a county that was just like that until summer, when all of a sudden my uncle became the second person in town to die of Covid and his daughter was admitted to the ICU the next day. It can hit your county in an instant, so please keep staying safe.

PLEASE continue to stay safe and don't let your guard down. I have relatives in a county that was just like that until summer, when all of a sudden my uncle became the second person in town to die of Covid and his daughter was admitted to the ICU the next day. It can hit your county in an instant, so please keep staying safe.
Believe me I know! I am so very sorry for your loss. Both my DH and myself work from home and I only do the pick up service for my groceries so I'm very aware and safe. Like I said, only 38 cases in my entire county since it began and no deaths is something to be proud of.

At this point I want a major snow storm, where nobody leaves their home unless its an emergency. I will have enough food, we got a room full of firewood, wine. Kids can do things online, we will stay in pjs and go for snow hikes and sledding. from 24Dec-01Jan will be alright with me. Takes aways the stress and disappoint that there is not anything to do anyways.. Our mini lockdown is extended until 10 Jan.

At this point I want a major snow storm, where nobody leaves their home unless its an emergency. I will have enough food, we got a room full of firewood, wine. Kids can do things online, we will stay in pjs and go for snow hikes and sledding. from 24Dec-01Jan will be alright with me. Takes aways the stress and disappoint that there is not anything to do anyways.. Our mini lockdown is extended until 10 Jan.
I hate to think about it this way but a major snowstorm doesn't sound like a stress free situation. Power outages, car accidents, people needing to get to work and can't or they traverse dangerous roads to get there because they don't have the luxury of lockdown and people who rely on things are because others go into work, people getting hurt slipping and sliding, watching and hoping your street is treated and plowed as quickly as possible not to mention the grocery stores are already starting to have issues so news of a major snowstorm would kick that into high gear, and more.

Snow is in my opinion pretty to look at though!!

But you can have that mini lockdown without a major snow storm :) :)

I hate to think about it this way but a major snowstorm doesn't sound like a stress free situation. Power outages, car accidents, people needing to get to work and can't or they traverse dangerous roads to get there because they don't have the luxury of lockdown and people who rely on things are because others go into work, people getting hurt slipping and sliding, watching and hoping your street is treated and plowed as quickly as possible not to mention the grocery stores are already starting to have issues so news of a major snowstorm would kick that into high gear, and more.

Snow is in my opinion pretty to look at though!!

But you can have that mini lockdown without a major snow storm :) :)
Exactly. Not everyone is in a position to cocoon, and the last thing people need is more stress.

We just got a major snow storm and it was great. I love the snow and wish we had more winter snows. We took our son out and built a fort and played for a good 2 hours. Even did a nice little snowshoe walk with the dog because it was so deep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter