Now that we are through Thanksgiving........

That's an easy thing to say when you're sure it won't be you out on the streets or missing meals for lack of "a buck". Not so much when you're one of the people represented by statistics like these:

View attachment 540999
Not even just the money. It's an easy thing to say when you have health insurance and many of these people without income have no health insurance in the pandemic. We're one of them. It's a very uneasy feeling. Should I just be willing to hang out like this for 6 more months hoping for the best?

This is what people want. They want small government, small safety nets, and to take personal responsibility. We can see how well this worked out. Of course, if the landlords evict, who will replace the lost tenant?

Exactly. Right now we're in a K shaped recovery. But I suspect even the people at the top are going to start losing out bigtime when the rest of the protections expire next month and their tenants are on the streets, and consumer spending tanks even further because the last of the unemployment runs out. People want to act like we can all just go about our normal spending, and everything will be just fine if we pretend the pandemic doesn't exist. But more and more and more people are losing their jobs, we're about to have a homelessness epidemic, food banks are stretched to their limit....there's not going to be anybody to take all those empty apartments or buy those movie tickets or pay for that fancy gym membership. The worse the virus gets, the smaller the pool of people who can afford to spend like they did before.

Not even just the money. It's an easy thing to say when you have health insurance and many of these people without income have no health insurance in the pandemic. We're one of them. It's a very uneasy feeling. Should I just be willing to hang out like this for 6 more months hoping for the best?
Apply for insurance through healthcare.gov. Depending on your state you'll have more or fewer options, but as a small business owner I've been on it for years, and it really does work. Silver plans have the best subsidies and the best benefits, but essential healthcare is covered even on the cheapest Bronze plans.

My mom will lose hers on December 23rd when she'll be out of her job. She's going to try COBRA but it will be costly. Just the fact that she has that option when others don't though puts her ahead.

Apply for insurance through healthcare.gov. Depending on your state you'll have more or fewer options, but as a small business owner I've been on it for years, and it really does work. Silver plans have the best subsidies and the best benefits, but essential healthcare is covered even on the cheapest Bronze plans.
Not sure why you think we didn’t consider that. A high deductible plan was going to cost more than our mortgage. Can’t really do that without income.

Not sure why you think we didn’t consider that. A high deductible plan was going to cost more than our mortgage. Can’t really do that without income.
Don't bite my head off. Trying to help. Did you enter your expected income for 2021, as opposed to your income from before the pandemic? You should qualify for subsidies that bring the costs way down, but of course I don't know your individual circumstances.

I agree. People shouldn't be mad at students actually residing in the apartments they were forced to lease and pay for. If they want to be angry, take it up with the colleges.

This was posted pages ago and I am late to the game, but felt the need to comment. I live in a small college town, and the "city" next to us has several small colleges also. I don't mind that the students have come back to apartments; what I MIND is they are acting like this is 2018 or 2019. Stop going to gatherings, large or small, be it at bars, restaurants, or homes without (a) wearing a damned mask and (b) keeping your distance. IT'S NOT HARD, AND IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

I personally feel that masking should be federally mandated. If you don't want to wear a mask, stay home, order things online, stay away from other people. It's a matter of public health in a society. We've tried the "it's my right" and "I have medical issues" standpoint, and look at where we are. I can't help but wonder if we'd be better off letting businesses open, with capacity and distancing guidelines, and mandating that EVERYONE wear a mask when in the presence of others (except in your own home/with those with whom you reside). At least people would be able to conduct business, go to work, live a somewhat "normal" life, while still protecting everyone as much as possible. But... not going to happen in this country.

Don't bite my head off. Trying to help. Did you enter your expected income for 2021, as opposed to your income from before the pandemic? You should qualify for subsidies that bring the costs way down, but of course I don't know your individual circumstances.
I just wanted to add to this discussion that as small business owners my husband and I have purchased our families health insurance through healthcare.gov for several years as well. It definitely takes circumstances into consideration. We have never qualified for subsidies and always go with the cheapest bronze plan for the well care/preventative care and the “just in case” worst case emergency, but our income was impacted by the pandemic and it is very likely that we will end up getting a significant portion of our premiums back once we know our final 2020 numbers. I know it varies by state as far as plans and cost, but I was shocked at how much of it we may recover.

I personally feel that masking should be federally mandated.
I don't think that would do any good at all. People who will refuse to follow local mandates will also refuse to follow federally mandates.

The real issue is that stores aren't enforcing masks. Perhaps they fear confrontation (and ending up in a Facebook video isn't good for business), or perhaps they fear it would run customers away, but the reality is that you can have all the federal laws you want -- it comes down to enforcement inside the individual stores.

Personally, I haven't been terribly afraid of going to the grocery store (which is about the only place I go), but I've seen a big downtick in mask wearing in recent weeks ... and not only shoppers -- employees too. I think I'm going to have to start ordering groceries.

I don't think that would do any good at all. People who will refuse to follow local mandates will also refuse to follow federally mandates.

The real issue is that stores aren't enforcing masks. Perhaps they fear confrontation (and ending up in a Facebook video isn't good for business), or perhaps they fear it would run customers away, but the reality is that you can have all the federal laws you want -- it comes down to enforcement inside the individual stores.

Personally, I haven't been terribly afraid of going to the grocery store (which is about the only place I go), but I've seen a big downtick in mask wearing in recent weeks ... and not only shoppers -- employees too. I think I'm going to have to start ordering groceries.

I have been doing pickup or delivery only lately because of it. I was going into stores regularly for a while and mask compliance was great, but something changed. It flat out sucks right now. People walk past the Costco employee at the entrance and immediately take them off. It's ridiculous.

I’ve noticed that in my personal life, the Venn Diagram of those who claim lockdowns and paying people to stay home won’t work and those who continue to go out and about without masks or change any of their behavior is a circle.
I've known a very small amount of people that are like that, actually just found out my uncle is one of them. But they are the extreme minority in the people I know. Even several posters I've conversed with on this topic here on the Boards are very much pro-mask and wear them whenever they go out.

It's all who you know I guess but because the people who are like what you're talking about represent an extreme in my life I choose to ignore them. Majority of the ones fall in the middle, recognizing that there are precautions needed, there are businesses that can be open with precautions and mitigations and just want consideration for that. I would hate for that part to be ignored because of the extreme viewpoint (on either side). Then again I'm rarely for extreme viewpoints in just about every situation; the masses tend to get stuck in the middle like kids whose parents are divorced and pit their kids against each other who then get forgotten about.

I've known a very small amount of people that are like that, actually just found out my uncle is one of them. But they are the extreme minority in the people I know. Even several posters I've conversed with on this topic here on the Boards are very much pro-mask and wear them whenever they go out.

It's all who you know I guess but because the people who are like what you're talking about represent an extreme in my life I choose to ignore them. Majority of the ones fall in the middle, recognizing that there are precautions needed, there are businesses that can be open with precautions and mitigations and just want consideration for that. I would hate for that part to be ignored because of the extreme viewpoint (on either side). Then again I'm rarely for extreme viewpoints in just about every situation; the masses tend to get stuck in the middle like kids whose parents are divorced and pit their kids against each other who then get forgotten about.
Well yeah, that’s correct. That’s the point. It’s a smaller number of people I know, but there is a strong correlation of views in my circle. Relatives and people I knew from high school that were saying a month “lockdown” wouldn’t slow the spread are the same people who think people shouldn’t have been paid unemployment (even though some where on it, ironically) and are the same people who refuse to wear masks and the same people who believe anyone taking even the most minor precautions “sheep.”

Most people I know understand that a combination of lockdowns, unemployment benefits, mask wearing, and other precautions would slow the spread. Maybe they disagree on the amount of unemployment, or the degree of a lockdown, but they get it.

I can’t just ignore the extremities, because they are still part of society, working in public, berating retail workers, and sending their kids to school sick.

Well yeah, that’s correct. That’s the point. It’s a smaller number of people I know, but there is a strong correlation of views in my circle. Relatives and people I knew from high school that were saying a month “lockdown” wouldn’t slow the spread are the same people who think people shouldn’t have been paid unemployment (even though some where on it, ironically) and are the same people who refuse to wear masks and the same people who believe anyone taking even the most minor precautions “sheep.”
But correlation does not equal causation and that assumption of correlation equals causation, instead of calling them what they are (which is a minority viewpoint), gives the impression that those who don't want lockdowns or that simply paying people to stay home isn't as feasible as one thinks are also those who don't wear masks and throw caution to the wind if you will.

There are those of us who do follow precautions but don't agree with lockdowns at this point or who don't think paying people to stay home speaks to the greater issue. That point will and has gotten lost in favor of giving those other people the voice.

I can’t just ignore the extremities, because they are still part of society, working in public, berating retail workers, and sending their kids to school sick.
By ignore I mean there's no talking to. I'm not going to get into an argument with my uncle or give credence towards the extremist side about mask wearing (the extreme side not the I don't really like wearing it but I do side) and to him it's being overblown, it's fruitless (key words sheep mean I immediately ignore). What I can do is advocate for the people I see getting hit by all the other stuff that just get drowned out by expending the energy towards the other. I've seen time and time again people ignoring those in the middle or they immediately assume you take issue with something you must be on the other side of the track. We've unfortunately become so it's this or that that we forget there's a meld option too.

**Sorry I feel like you didn't mean to go off so deep into this apologies on the front :flower3:

But correlation does not equal causation and that assumption of correlation equals causation, instead of calling them what they are (which is a minority viewpoint), gives the impression that those who don't want lockdowns or that simply paying people to stay home isn't as feasible as one thinks are also those who don't wear masks and throw caution to the wind if you will.

There are those of us who do follow precautions but don't agree with lockdowns at this point or who don't think paying people to stay home speaks to the greater issue. That point will and has gotten lost in favor of giving those other people the voice.

By ignore I mean there's no talking to. I'm not going to get into an argument with my uncle or give credence towards the extremist side about mask wearing (the extreme side not the I don't really like wearing it but I do side) and to him it's being overblown, it's fruitless (key words sheep mean I immediately ignore). What I can do is advocate for the people I see getting hit by all the other stuff that just get drowned out by expending the energy towards the other. I've seen time and time again people ignoring those in the middle or they immediately assume you take issue with something you must be on the other side of the track. We've unfortunately become so it's this or that that we forget there's a meld option too.

**Sorry I feel like you didn't mean to go off so deep into this apologies on the front :flower3:
That’s totally fair!

I have been doing pickup or delivery only lately because of it. I was going into stores regularly for a while and mask compliance was great, but something changed. It flat out sucks right now. People walk past the Costco employee at the entrance and immediately take them off. It's ridiculous.
Yes, that's exactly what I see.

So, my mother-in-law passed away last week (not COVID related). We had a funeral mass with 9 people in attendance - me, my husband, our 5 year old son, the priest, the organist, the singer, and 3 funeral home employees. (My husband’s father and all aunts and uncles are deceased and he has no siblings). It was an incredibly difficult decision to make, but we couldn’t guarantee that some maskless friend wouldn’t try to hug us, or that people wouldn’t congregate, etc. (We had the funeral live-streamed, so that helped people feel included).

We then spent the next day, thanksgiving, at home. Just the 3 of us.

These last couple of weeks have been the hardest time we’ve been through as a family. However, we are committed to doing our part to stop the spread of this virus so that other families don’t have to go through deaths without in-person support.

My family is local and if everyone were to commit to isolating for 2 weeks before, I’d consider going. We haven’t talked about it yet.

My sincere condolences. :hug:

So, my mother-in-law passed away last week (not COVID related). We had a funeral mass with 9 people in attendance - me, my husband, our 5 year old son, the priest, the organist, the singer, and 3 funeral home employees. (My husband’s father and all aunts and uncles are deceased and he has no siblings). It was an incredibly difficult decision to make, but we couldn’t guarantee that some maskless friend wouldn’t try to hug us, or that people wouldn’t congregate, etc. (We had the funeral live-streamed, so that helped people feel included).

We then spent the next day, thanksgiving, at home. Just the 3 of us.

These last couple of weeks have been the hardest time we’ve been through as a family. However, we are committed to doing our part to stop the spread of this virus so that other families don’t have to go through deaths without in-person support.

My family is local and if everyone were to commit to isolating for 2 weeks before, I’d consider going. We haven’t talked about it yet.
I am so sorry. :hug: Thankfully we are allowed to have funerals. Unfortunately we've had several this year (non COVID related.) We masked up and distanced.

And 6 short weeks is all I'm talking about. We could lock down HARD--close "essential" businesses too. After Katrina, the National Guard came in and distributed huge boxes of MREs at pickup stations. The Red Cross served free hot meals out of the back of ambulances in gas station parking lots. Do that on a national level and no one has to go ANYWHERE (obviously keep hospitals open). And 6 weeks later we have nearly zero cases and vaccines are flowing to high risk groups. Then we start reopening responsibly, while keeping federal money flowing to places that CAN'T reopen until we achieve herd immunity via vaccination. Tell me why that can't work.

So if hospitals stay open, you need gas stations and/or mass transit to stay open so nurses/doctors can get to work.
That means you need gas and medical supplies. So delivery truck drivers exempt.
The supplies and gas need to be manufactured, so all those workers are exempt.
Everyone needs to eat. You want to provide MREs? Not sure we have enough to feed everyone in this country for 6 weeks, but ok, they still need to be delivered, distributed, etc. The Red Cross needs food in order to cook it. So now you need military and Red Cross working, as well as farmers and other food manufacturers to provide the food.
And I assume you want water, electric, cable, sanitary sewer? More people.
I guarantee crime won’t stop, so police.
Snowstorm? Those roads still need plowed so those hospital workers and truckers can get through.
See where I’m going with this?

I am so sorry. :hug: Thankfully we are allowed to have funerals. Unfortunately we've had several this year (non COVID related.) We masked up and distanced.

We are allowed to have them, but COVID is awful here (I’m in Illinois). (No visitation the night before though - funeral homes are limited to 10 people while churches are limited to 25% capacity). She lived an hour away from us, and we don’t know what mask enforcement is like at her church, and of course, there would be a lot of people there who aren’t members of her church. We have no idea what her friends’ attitudes towards masks are like. We just felt like we couldn’t take the risk of putting ourselves in harm’s way...people get wayyyyy closer than 6 feet at visitations!

A lot of people are getting around the funeral thing by having a graveside service, but she’s being buried 9 hours away in a different state, so we couldn’t do that. We’ll go visit the gravesite hopefully next summer and have a celebration of life when it’s safe to have everyone together for a meal.

So if hospitals stay open, you need gas stations and/or mass transit to stay open so nurses/doctors can get to work.
That means you need gas and medical supplies. So delivery truck drivers exempt.
The supplies and gas need to be manufactured, so all those workers are exempt.
Everyone needs to eat. You want to provide MREs? Not sure we have enough to feed everyone in this country for 6 weeks, but ok, they still need to be delivered, distributed, etc. The Red Cross needs food in order to cook it. So now you need military and Red Cross working, as well as farmers and other food manufacturers to provide the food.
And I assume you want water, electric, cable, sanitary sewer? More people.
I guarantee crime won’t stop, so police.
Snowstorm? Those roads still need plowed so those hospital workers and truckers can get through.
See where I’m going with this?
Your starting with a false premise. We don't need everything you are talking about to survive a few weeks. If everyone was told to go out and get all the food and supplies they need for a month and people cooked their own meals and ate at home. Which is not unreasonable. it an be done. Not easy but neither was burying my parents this summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter