November Trip Reports

That looks great. I always amazed how much they can get done over night. I suspect you didn't hear or see anything from your site? To do that much would take a lot of people and likely equipment moving around. Not sure how they do it without disrupting the campers.

I may have to extend the time I was planning for the 2024 DIS Meet. I was hoping things would go up right after Halloween, so the 1st week of November would have been good. Looks like I'll have to make it a 2 or 3 week trip to make sure I can see Christmas.

j

Last edited:
@bama_ed it looks like you enjoy Disney and Ft W like we do! We stay in cabins but love to do the same stuff. I work on puzzles with the same strategy.

I have just a couple of questions. Does Disney Springs have the tree walk going or plan to?
What is the noise level like in the 100 loop? I have considered staying in the cabins there but worry about the noise. We prefer the quiet of 2500 or 2300 loops.

Thank you for the information. I did not know we can sit inside TE when it was closed. That was good to know. I appreciate your detailed summaries. We'll be there 12/4-12/8.

@bama_ed it looks like you enjoy Disney and Ft W like we do! We stay in cabins but love to do the same stuff. I work on puzzles with the same strategy.

I have just a couple of questions. Does Disney Springs have the tree walk going or plan to?
What is the noise level like in the 100 loop? I have considered staying in the cabins there but worry about the noise. We prefer the quiet of 2500 or 2300 loops.

Thank you for the information. I did not know we can sit inside TE when it was closed. That was good to know. I appreciate your detailed summaries. We'll be there 12/4-12/8.

Cool on puzzles. You know, the weird thing is I only work on them when camping.

DS has no tree walk as of yesterday. I can't say about their future plans.

100 because of its proximity to the common Settlement area has a little bit more noise than usual. This week, though, is unusual with the 530am banging of the canoe set up crew each morning.

That looks great. I always amazed how much they can get done over night. I suspect you didn't hear or see anything from your site? To do that much would take a lot of people and likely equipment moving around. Not sure how they do it without disrupting the campers.

And I heard the constant-beep of the forklift last night consistently but dimly while unloading Christmas decorations in the early AM hours. And I am on the bleeding edge of 100 loop, I will admit. If I was back in site 102 near the comfort station, the noise would probably be less.

The 100 cabins likely have a little more soundproofing due to the thicker building materials. I thought about trying a background sleeping loop like falling rain tonight - just a little white noise in the background like static on a tv to cover up spurious sounds. 2500 or 2300 are certainly on the backside of FW as far as cabin loops go, that's for sure.

Dec 6 and 7 are Tues and Weds which mean Trails End tables should be available if the same schedule holds for a few more weeks. Just look for where the ribbon divider is. Near to P&J, bad. Set back far away in the dining room from P&J, good.

Thanks for reading along.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
This was a bit of a catch-up day for us.

It was pretty humid here when we woke up this morning and that meant that we would likely get a shower at some point today. Which did in fact come about 9am.

Didn't last long but it was a soaker.

We were headed back over to the Contemporary Resort just as the rain stopped to meet some friends for breakfast at Steakhouse 71. We got to the MK dock right at 930am as a ferry has just landed from the TTC and sent TONS of people to the gate area.

Although I miss the direct small boat resort connector FW-CR, going to MK first and walking is not that arduous.

The walkway after crossing World Drive to the Contemp is a pleasant one.

Our target was breakfast with @TheRustyScupper and our Dear Wives and it was a wonderful morning. Rusty was in fine spirits and his DW was well also (although dealing with a plumbing emergency this morning). Oy, I can associate with my tire issues the last view days. You do WHAT you have to WHEN you have to. But it was a great morning.

Food was good, service was great, conversation flowed, and we were in no hurry. True to the restaurant's namesake, me, Rusty, and Rusty's DW got some version of the "Steak and Eggs" breakfast of 4oz steak (cooked to your instruction), 2 eggs (as you like them), and breakfast potatoes (fried wedges) which can be substituted for toast. Although not on the menu, Mickey Waffles are also available (did I mention we had a great server in Tim?).

Here is my Steak and Eggs (medium and over hard):

Some Tabasco on top made this breakfast <chef's kiss> oh so good. Diet Coke to drink (I don't do coffee).

My DW (the one-who-did-not-order-what-everyone-else-at-the-table-did) selected the Eggs Benedict:

Every one of us loved our breakfast. (BTW, DW got water, Rusty got coffee-black, and his DW got hot tea). I REALLY like the Steakhouse 71 breakfast menu better than the lunch menu we chose from during Halloween (I can't afford the dinner entrees, ha!).

While the Skuppers drove home, we walked back to the MK to boat back to the Fort.

But what's this I hear? :rolleyes1 Is that the lonely WAIL of a steam engine whistle as I walk near the WDW RR tracks to the MK Boat Dock?

🛤️🚂 Oh you bet it is. We got back to the campsite and they were teasing us all afternoon with the whistles (two different trains). As I got back to the MK gate area after walking I asked a CM if the trains had been through the Main Street Station and she had said they had not. Yet. But those darn whistles ..... they own me .....

Not so busy at MK around mid-day.

When we got back to site 114, it was time for the exciting ..... laundry chore. :sad2: For $3 a load to wash and also to dry, Disney does get your clothes clean (the dryer for that price runs 60 minutes).

Tomorrow is prep day for our kid's arrival.

Bama Ed

PS - since we have been sitting here for a couple days, I've picked up on (and witnessed) the BOAT WHISTLE PROTOCALL.

"Two blasts" is approaching the dock.
"Three blasts" is backing away from the dock.
"One blast" is after backing from the dock, going from reverse to forward motion.

At the narrow cross-over above World Drive near the Contemporary, one short blast indicates "I'm taking the right-of-way" so first beep gets through before the other.

PPS - tonight the carriage is being pulled by Zilly, a big Percheron like Prince. Zilly normally pulls the Main Street Trolley car. We're going to have to get over to the stalls at the Tri-Circle-D horse barn and visit our hard working friends in the next few days.

Last edited:
@bama_ed Really enjoying the report so far! What fun to visit without a need to rush to the parks (although I imagine a bit if that comes with kiddos arrival, but a lite bit of park is ok when you’re rested and relaxed!). Looking forward to the continuing adventure….

@bama_ed Really enjoying the report so far! What fun to visit without a need to rush to the parks (although I imagine a bit if that comes with kiddos arrival, but a lite bit of park is ok when you’re rested and relaxed!). Looking forward to the continuing adventure….

Thanks for the feedback, @4077.

Oh it's relaxed now but like I said once the kids (grown adults really) get here it's a park day every other day (Mon-Wed-Fri) plus cooking Thanksgiving meal on Thu. HDDR on Sunday and Raglan Road on Tue. I'm going to be like this:

Please say a prayer for me that I make it through! :scared:

Ed

PS - background music loops at the Fort today not playing Christmas music yet although decorations are now out. Boat to MK has no decorations but playing big band/classic Christmas songs on board. At Disney Springs yesterday the Christmas music was a lot of a capella boy band music while we were there (probably Disney artists). Disney got to sync its music and decorations up all over!

Last edited:
Puzzle finished this morning.

20221116_161229.jpg

Canoe races continue. Its day 4. Seriously?

The puzzle went fast. I'm thinking all the "help" you had at GSP actually slowed things down. :chat:

j

Great stuff bama Ed, love your trip reports. I’m going to be there Dec 22 to the 30 so seeing the Christmas decorations is getting me excited.

Thank you for letting us enjoy your trip! We always loved to be @ "The Fort" for Thanksgiving & Christmas! Have fun when the kids arrive & I will keep you in my prayers for strength while @ the parks.

Interesting morning already.

It's very clear but cool this morning (53F at sunrise) and DW wants to wait till it warms up some to do our tent setup so I went off on a walk this morning. Refilled my glass at P&J's and stuck my camera inside the sliding door of HDDR to see the Christmas decor.

Fun fact: the refill soda dispensing machine had not been turned on yet when I got there. So I saw them turn it on and boot it up. Would you believe it runs on Windows? :surfweb:

Tri-Circle-D was still closed (it was just after 8am) but we would circle back soon.

Settlement Bus Depot decorated.

The RV in the last site of 600 loop where it exits to Fort Wilderness Trail had a Starlink terminal (a Dishy McFlat Face) sitting out for fast internet connectivity of their own. (see lower left corner of pic) Surprised they could connect through the area trees.

Moving on toward the Meadow Trading Post, more exposed inner ducts that I saw at Halloween. I'll come back to this topic later in a few moments.

Tall trees with clear blue sky through here looking over 800 loop.

The 900 bus stop decorated with the Comfort Station behind. We stayed in it maybe 2-3 times in our old Jayco popup. IIRC this is @friendofeeyore 's favorite loop.

Let's roll to the next post.

Bama Ed

I love to take pix of the trees on the 900 side of the Meadow TP. Beautiful.

There were a few blooms on the azalea bushes in front of the TP.

Meadow TP garland (all the garland lights up, I believe).

I had got there just as it opened at 830am so I went to check out the merch.

This packet here interested me because of the Fort Wilderness Railroad logo. But it's $30.

The 50th anniversary spare tire cover.

Cute little Chip & Dale cloth table cloths and checkers set that will set you back $80 (really, $80).

A Fort Wilderness-specific untuck shirt that I liked until I saw the price tag - $85.

Close-up photo.

The checkers table is still there to play a game on but the Musket Mickey medallion that had been inlaid into the two wood ends have been covered/replaced with a castle sticker.

I'm not done yet at the Meadow TP. Rolling to the next post.

Bama Ed

I had a paper folded map of this Magic Kingdom map (it was big maybe 36" wide) when I was a kid. The puzzle version will run you $30.

The Meadow TP is one place you can get hot cocoa mix for your refillable mug (not at P&J's). You have to ask a CM to give you a cocoa packet from behind the counter.

Remember the big log benches at the movie/singalong amphitheater that were removed a few years ago? A few now exist on the front and back porches of the Meadow TP along with 2 rockers in front and 2 in back. The view toward the Bike Barn was pretty.

Across the bridge toward the pool to take some pix.

Signs out at the Bike Barn (still not open yet).

Movie/singalong area in garland.

Then out past the tennis courts to take a pic of something I'd driven past and was perplexed by. The bus stop for the Full loops (1600-1900) along Big Pine Drive has no roof. Wonder if a tree had fallen on it and everything there was rebuilt? I didn't notice it on the Halloween visit because I was only in this area at night. Anyone know the details?

Turning back for home, I diverted around 1500 which is my favorite Tent loop (stayed here in January 2022).

I've hit the cap of 10 linked photos in one post so let's roll to the next one.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Some interesting small setups in 1500.

We camped in this site (1513) back in 2009 during Thanksgiving. But this is wonderful simplicity. A tent, two bikes, a hammock, and the truck. A wonderful way to camp this time of year.

This was the site I had in January 2022 (1511) which is the best one in the loop IMO. Wide (see the gate on the left side for access to the canal behind-1513 next door is further away because of the gate presence), peaceful quiet view of the canal in back that gets lots of sunshine. So shady in the front yard, sunny in back.

This 1500 site had its guest already leave this morning but the chalk art remained.

In 1501 right at the entrance was a cargo trailer .... trailer. :confused3

Another Ed-big-tree-big-sky photo towards the 1400 entrance.

There is water sitting in the wetlands low spots around the camping loops and I've noticed several pumps laid out to try to drain off the water to ditches, drains, waterways, etc. Some of the blue hose runs are pretty long. This one was across the street from the dog park.

Back home.

This is a good place to break and start a new post with a visit to the TCD horse barn with DW.

Bama Ed

I tried to get pix of the horse along with the name board outside. It was feeding time for a few so it was hard to get a pic of some since their head was down in the feed barrel for long stretches.

A Shetland Pony, Moose.

Two Clydesdales, Rookie and Phil.

One of our working horse buddies who pulled carriages past our site, Skyler.

Another worker friend, Zilly.

Hershey, another Shetland Pony (both Shetlands work the Pony ride area next to the barn).

And finally Red.

These stalls up front are big show stalls but most animals are in the back quarters of the barn.

And the 1907 Caliope. And yes, I did push the button to hear its recording play.

Hit the 10-limit but almost done.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter