Notebooks and Binders and Worksheets - Obsessive/Compulsives Only!

bradyjensen

Earning My Ears
For the true obsessive, planning is at least as enjoyable as doing. So, I'm looking for some suggestions from the Super Planners out there on tools you may have used or created to record your plans. I've got a spreadsheet going, but it's not very visual, and I'd like something along the lines of a homemade Passporter with graphics plus all the useful information I need once I'm there.

On my last trip, I used the TouringPlans "Trip Planner" website, which is pretty good, but not very festive looking. Frankly, it lacks that festive touch.

Anyone have any great Word documents, PowerPoints, Excel workbooks, or other approaches to feeding that jones for planning? Willing to share?

I'm not very organized and I'm very forgetfull, SO I went to Staples Office supply store and bought some items . The main item I bought was a big binder and a 3 hole punch and see through sleeves that you can slide paper into and place in a 3 ring binder.

What I have been doing is placed dividers into it with sections for disney info that I print out from either their web site or emails I get.

Another is for info from the web ( The DIS and DebWills ) I find lots of good ideas or tips from these boards and I KNOW I'll never find them again so I copy /paste them and print them out .

I have another section of all trip specific info like confirmation info and stuff and then I have a section for printed out photos I have/ will take of the resorts and rooms I stayed in.

Last section is for odds and ends.

:)

After a few different incarnations (because planning the trip planner is nearly as fun as planning the trip which is just as fun as the trip itself!) I have finally settled on one that I like. It's humble, but works.

It's a black 2 pocket folder with the 3-ring prongs. I added a 3-ring zippered pouch with a clear window to keep leftover passes, my DDE card, DVC card, and my allearsnet.com pass holding lanyards. (hey, anything that prevents me having to wear a fanny pack can't be THAT nerdy, right?) I also throw in there any coupons/offers that I find along the way that will be useful on the trip.

I added a few clear page protectors to keep the "permanent" info that is useful for any trip -- a list of important phone numbers (dining, recreation, etc.) and a sheet with numbers and directions to the local walk-in clinics. (3 kids ... you never know!) addresses for postcards, and so on.

I keep the printouts for the current trip in the front pocket. Flight itinerary, resort confirmations, and all. Once we check in at the airport, that gets moved to the back pocket. Check in at the resort? Move that sheet to the back pocket.

My favorite part is that the folder is now covered with Disney stickers we've gathered on our trips. Easy to spot in my mountain of paperwork!

I'm an admitted planning geek.

HMMMMMmmmmmm now why did I NOT think of that . Setting up a folder to bring with you is a great idea. My idea was for more of a stay on the desk at home thing so it could get really BIG. I'm gonna add a 2nd folder and rework my things to bring one with me too. THANKS FOR THE IDEA.

:goodvibes

:goodvibes I have that, too ... :thumbsup2 My Dis library, with a PassPorter, always the current edition of the UOG, the Vacation Magic magazines, and anything I've printed out along the way.

When my dh gets pouty about the amount of time I spend planning, I remind him that I *could* be smoking crack. :rotfl2: And our trips always turn out great and go without a hitch, so there you go. I doubt that would be the case if instead of planning, I was smokin'.

Geeez, I thought I was the only person with the giant folder with everything in it! :rotfl2:

Yes, I completely understand obsessive/compulsive....

We have graduated to carrying any necessary documents in #10 envelope (so it fits anywhere) and our main document is an excel spreadsheet (copy for each traveler, of course) that is color coordinated to the locations involved. Pretty sad, eh?

I knew I was out of control on our March trip. While waiting for Fantasmic, I found myself comparing schedules with a lady sitting next to me. (I did impress her, however....or, in retrospect, perhaps I scared her?)

Peepster said:
I knew I was out of control on our March trip. While waiting for Fantasmic, I found myself comparing schedules with a lady sitting next to me. (I did impress her, however....or, in retrospect, perhaps I scared her?)

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

:wave2: I do a big detailed calendar with all reservations and confirmation numbers -as well as park plans for morning, noon and night to hang somewhere in the hotel room - and an abridged version for pocket "mini schedule" that I get laminated so they will be fine if they get wet on SM or KRR. I usual do one for each room booked and one "mini" for each party member.

Since I’m a graphic designer all are "tricked out" :wizard: in WDW finery.

I have my own database set-up using Filemaker Pro, complete with cool print outs (including graphics) that I can print for 8.5 X 11 or smaller pages that can slip into the Passporter sleeves.

It also performs various date calculations based on the departure date, stores URLs, etc. I've even toyed with inputting the restaurant listing and having it tie to the the menus on allearsnet.

Unfortunately, I do not have the developer version of Filemaker so I can't produce self contained/self running distributable versions.

wallyb said:
:wave2: I do a big detailed calendar with all reservations and confirmation numbers -as well as park plans for morning, noon and night to hang somewhere in the hotel room - and an abridged version for pocket "mini schedule" that I get laminated so they will be fine if they get wet on SM or KRR. I usual do one for each room booked and one "mini" for each party member.

Since I’m a graphic designer all are "tricked out" :wizard: in WDW finery.

Outstanding! Someone after my own heart -- but with the actual talent to make it work!

Are you willing to share samples? This sounds exaclty like what I'm looking for!

:teeth:Well I can - but each trip is custom for our length of stay, evens etc.
So I'm not sure how usefull it will be for you.
I'll be glad to forward / email a PDF attachment if you send me your address.
:tink:

Sending you a PM. I'm looking for inspiration. As the old song says, "Don't shade your eyes, just plagiarize!"

I have a word document that I set up, and recustomize for each trip. It's not that graphically pretty, but each day has four squares, 1. the big picture: travel and confirmation numbers, the park hours for that days park, 2. meals: PS numbers, times, locations, estimated cost, 3. to do: tours, spa treatments, favorite attractions, and 4. notes: usually fireworks times

I can fit a week on one page, and I track actual activities and spending as I go along. cause I don't like to carry anything with me. No bag line, love it! I just put all the other paper I collect in a regular folder, which I keep when I get home. When I start planning the next trip, I refer back. It's not a pretty scrapbook, but it's a nice reminder
Jenn

OK, This really cracked me up, had to sit here and laugh out loud! My family has been on my case because when I found out about our trip 6 months ago, I started a binder of information. I borrowed 43 books from the library, I surfed the web for weeks. I moved up to a bigger binder. I bought tour guides and dining guides. I got books from AAA. I now have 2 three ring binders, tabbed and sectioned by park. I have itineraries for moving thru the parks quickly, shopping guides, even the lists of quickest and cleanest bathrooms along with sections of park trivia/stats. I plan on copying my itineraries into a pocket sized notebook (doubles as an autograph book) and sliding my days information into a plastic report cover, lightweight and small. It is just as much fun to gather as it is to do!

WOW! I'm not as sick :sick: as I thought.

Dr. Phil on line 3 for you.

Peepster said:
Yes, I completely understand obsessive/compulsive....

We have graduated to carrying any necessary documents in #10 envelope (so it fits anywhere) and our main document is an excel spreadsheet (copy for each traveler, of course) that is color coordinated to the locations involved. Pretty sad, eh?

I missed a part of this the first time through. Willing to share the spreadsheet?

And you're not out of control. Everyone else is in the world is just wallowing in chaos.

:rotfl2: love this thread!! I have a 3-ring binder, a smaller binder that i found a office depot which i have planning print out sheets from UTG and I have a day planner which all the addy pages are filled in with info. for disney and all other info. so I can take it with me......I also have the passporter but haven't started filling it in yet, it's more for while were there. alot of the fun is the planning..........glad I'm in good co. :grouphug: :banana: :woohoo: :wave:

Last year I just printed my schedule onto unlined index cards,laminated them,punched a hole in the top lefy corner of each and attached them all with a ring binder.
This year,I used the touring plans sheets but I downloaded a front cover sheet and a back cover from the resorts where we are staying. This year's front is Royal Pacific and the back is Emerald Island. Office Depot bound this for me.

Also,if y'all are interested in autograph pages,here's my link:
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/jtmsp/

I print these and then take the books to Office Depot and have them spiral bound. This year I made them for DD,12, and her friend who's coming with us. I also made them for my niece and nephew. Not cheap though-about $300+ for ink cartridges and binding but tons of fun to design! I think that I'm going to make one for myself.Why should the kids have all the fun!!

Oh yeah,I forgot that the back of each autograph page faces the next autograph page so I will paste photos of the kids with the character across from the appropriate page!! Is this statement as confusing to you as it is to me? :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter