Not thrilled with having to fly on a Boeing plane.

floridafam

DIS Veteran
Flying on Friday and my usual flight has always been an Airbus. Saw that it’s a Boeing 737-900 this time. Can’t help but worry a little with all the new stories. 🙄

Flying on Friday and my usual flight has always been an Airbus. Saw that it’s a Boeing 737-900 this time. Can’t help but worry a little with all the new stories. 🙄

It is normal to be, especially with the media flooding every non-normal event Boeing planes have had. Granted, they absolutely need to be under the scrutiny they are in, but the 737-900 has been in service since 2000. It has an impeccable safety record.

The 737-900 is different than the Boeing 737 Max and the Boeing 737 Max 9 (the two planes you have heard about the most in the news). And after the door plug incident, they scrutinized every door plug on every Boeing 737. FAA asked all US carriers to check the door plugs on all versions of the 737.

Statistically, you are more likely to have an incident on your way to the airport. I know, not terribly comforting when you are uneasy, but it is absolutely true.

Rest assured, your pilots are not going to fly unless they deem the aircraft safe. They do walk arounds and safety checklists before every flight. They know what is going on with Boeing, and they would refuse to fly if they deemed it unsafe.

Take a deep breath. The 737-900 is a good plane. I wouldn't hesitate to get on one, and neither does my spouse who flies it! ;)

It is normal to be, especially with the media flooding every non-normal event Boeing planes have had. Granted, they absolutely need to be under the scrutiny they are in, but the 737-900 has been in service since 2000. It has an impeccable safety record.

The 737-900 is different than the Boeing 737 Max and the Boeing 737 Max 9 (the two planes you have heard about the most in the news). And after the door plug incident, they scrutinized every door plug on every Boeing 737. FAA asked all US carriers to check the door plugs on all versions of the 737.

Statistically, you are more likely to have an incident on your way to the airport. I know, not terribly comforting when you are uneasy, but it is absolutely true.

Rest assured, your pilots are not going to fly unless they deem the aircraft safe. They do walk arounds and safety checklists before every flight. They know what is going on with Boeing, and they would refuse to fly if they deemed it unsafe.

Take a deep breath. The 737-900 is a good plane. I wouldn't hesitate to get on one, and neither does my spouse who flies it! ;)
Thank you for your post.

Thank you for your post. I am boarding an AA flight in three hours. Have been a little worried since I booked this flight two weeks ago. I almost always fly Delta, but it was just too costly. So, AA and a Boeing jet it is.

Last edited:
Our family regularly flies Sydney, Australia - Dallas on a Qantas Boeing 787. When I say regularly I mean more than 10 times a year. I’ve never worried or panicked and that’s a 14hr+ flight.

I figure if I’m going to drop out of the sky, it won’t matter whether I panic or not.

I've had to fly on two Boeing planes since all this mess. I'm not sure why I didn't let it get to me more, but I feel like Boeing is now under such scrutiny that the planes have probably had more people looking/checking them than ever. And while the door plug issue was definitely a Boeing build issue, I feel like many of the other reported incidents have been related more to maintenance at the airport and with the airline crews versus issues with the plane itself. Not that it's more comforting to think that.

...Rest assured, your pilots are not going to fly unless they deem the aircraft safe. They do walk arounds and safety checklists before every flight. They know what is going on with Boeing, and they would refuse to fly if they deemed it unsafe.

Thank you - I’ve heard this before and really taken it to heart. :flower3:

Thank you for your post. I am boarding a AA flight in three hours. Have been a little worried since I booked this flight two weeks ago. I almost always fry Delta, but it was just too costly. So, AA and a Boeing jet it is.
I always fly Delta and was surprised when I saw it was a Boeing jet. It's always been Airbus. I thought about switching flights to fly out of MCO but I just love flying out of the Melbourne, Florida airport. It's a fairly short flight to Atlanta and then I'm on an Airbus the rest of the way to Michigan.

I always fly Delta and was surprised when I saw it was a Boeing jet. It's always been Airbus. I thought about switching flights to fly out of MCO but I just love flying out of the Melbourne, Florida airport. It's a fairly short flight to Atlanta and then I'm on an Airbus the rest of the way to Michigan.
Delta currently has 1001 planes in their fleet.

530 Boeing
471 Airbus

In a similar vein, I would rather fly any US carrier than drive to me destination.
Amen! I travel for work and if it's more than about 3/2 hours, I'll fly (helps accumulate miles too). A coworker drives everywhere. He's based in New Orleans and I worked with him in Minnesota, and he drove. NO THANK YOU!

I don't like dealing with idiots on the road, but then also see things like this... 1000003994.jpg
She was up there for a couple of minutes. At some point, doesn't it make more sense to take the bag down to get what you need? Lol

I'm flying on Southwest soon and to my knowledge all of their planes are Boeing. I'm more concerned with the battle royale that is the boarding process than with who made the plane.

I'm flying on Southwest soon and to my knowledge all of their planes are Boeing. I'm more concerned with the battle royale that is the boarding process than with who made the plane.

They do fly all Boeing's, almost all 737 and variants. I actually find the boarding process orderly. Ruin someones day by taking the first middle seat you see! 🤣

I fly in the Boeing 737-700, 737-800 and 737-800 Max 8 all the time and nary a worry. Like other have posted, driving to the airport is riskier.

I have the same. Flying tomorrow for 11 hours on a Boeing 787-10 on an airline I trust. I have worked for this airline for over 10 years. I know how it works.
And still... reading the news today and seeing another incident with Boeing in Turkey and Dakar and an interview with a former Boeing employee about things going wrong... It does affect me. Trying not to, but it does affect me a bit.

Trying not to think about it, upgraded my seat to Business Class, and going to enjoy my flight tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Delta didn’t fly Airbus until the merge with Northwest Airlines. Their fleet has always been majority Boeing.
I don’t think that will be the case for long. Delta has been waiting for a 757 replacement that has not materialized from Boeing.

Perhaps the Airbus A321XLR?

And with the 767-300 retirement and replacement with more A330 and A350 the fleet will be majority Airbus.

They do fly all Boeing's, almost all 737 and variants. I actually find the boarding process orderly. Ruin someones day by taking the first middle seat you see! 🤣
Well, the good news/bad news is Southwest is again considering switching to assigned seats. They actually did it years ago on flights out of San Diego years ago as an experiment. The problem then was, their planes did not have the seats numbered. I flew last month on Southwest and see they now have the seats numbered so they seem to be moving that way.
It is funny that they are known for their cattle call seating system, famous for it, yet their customer service surveys show it is the number one complaint passengers have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter