Not Official: Big Changes to Disney Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much the DDP will increase in price with these changes.

Exactly.

Wow, I would love to be able to sub dessert for a salad or soup! People have been asking for this for years.

You know the dining plan used to include both appetizer and dessert, yes? People have only been asking to swap since they dropped the appetizer.

My DH (former waiter) just pointed out that it would be in Disney's best interest as well, as it would allow for faster table turnover.

The opposite. Some at the table will have the salad and some will have the dessert. No doubt the table will end up sharing both. So now it will lengthen meals for many.

What is the swap loophole? what do they mean by you can swap childs meal?

Even now I can go to a counter service place and order an adult meal if I only have a kid meal left in my CS entitlements. Moot now since DS is 11 but let's say we had the plan a few years back I could have gotten three adult meals despite being 2A1K on the plan.

Even now I can go to a counter service place and order an adult meal if I only have a kid meal left in my CS entitlements. Moot now since DS is 11 but let's say we had the plan a few years back I could have gotten three adult meals despite being 2A1K on the plan.

Not sure I'm clear - I know the computers didn't specify a difference between an adult CS credit and a child CS credit in the past, but you were supposed to be on the honor system and order a kid meal for a kid (also your cards were labeled with the number of adults & kids, so a CM could catch it). Now it seems you will be allowed to order any kind of CS meal, kid or adult, no sneaking or loophole required, right?

Counter Service credits have always been merged into one bucket without designation if the credit was an adult credit or a child's credit. The CURRENT rule states that children's credits need to be used for kids meals but many people used the loophole and would use their kids credits for adult meals. For instance, one free dining trip years ago I bought my vegetarian DD a fruit salad at Flametree BBQ while my DH and I enjoyed ribs because there was no veggie kids meal option.

ETA: Sometimes CMs would not allow people to order 3 adult CS meals if their card specified 2 adults and 1 child.

Looking forward to the official announcement from Disney on these changes, as we're going in August on a "Free Dining" bounce back. It sounds like some of it is just making official things that have already been in practice, like substituting a bottled drink for the dessert at CS meals. I'm excited about the possibility of subbing a side item for dessert though, since we have a 2-year-old for whom we'd sometimes purchase an extra side item to supplement her sharing our meals. I'd gladly give up my mediocre CS dessert to get her a side item for "free." Same with subbing soup, salad, or fruit for dessert at TS; typically when we go out for dinner we only get one or two desserts to share (if we get dessert at all) so a dessert per person is way too much for us.

I've never purchased a dining plan at Disney, just had "free dining" last year and this year, but I'd consider purchasing a more flexible plan if the price makes sense for us. Which is probably Disney's goal with these changes - increasing sales of dining plans.

Disney wouldn't do it if it didn't make financial sense. It looks like they are giving a lot in these changes and I'm certain that it's not out of the kindness of their hearts.
I am exactly the person/family Disney is directing these changes at. We eat elsewhere because there is no incentive to eat at Disney Signatures. We can go to Swan & Dolphin and use Tables in Wonderland. These changes may make the math work for me. It's not about kindness, it's getting me to commit to Disney, not another food source.

Three things:

-- Providing more options on Dining Plans offers people like me (with dietary reasons for avoiding desserts) a reason to look at the viability of purchasing a Dining Plan. Presently, the math does not come close if I never eat desserts, but have paid a sunk-cost for dessert.

-- Higher in this Thread was the notion that Disney might be able to eliminate 'free dining' and offer a 'new and improved' Dining Plan as an alternative. Could also be a way to eliminate Tables in Wonderland program.

-- Being able to spread credits amongst your family/friends is huge. Few people can eat 3-squares a day for their entire stay and get value from the DxDP program, but being able to eat two meals and invite family/friends to consume the balance of credits is far more reasonable. Many grandparents live near Disney, having them for even just one or two meals starts to make the math work for many families. We may finally get more value from DxDP than from Tables in Wonderland…..but I'll wait for details.

Children's credits could purchase an adult meal at Quick Service. This was not advertised.

Apparently, Disney may now advertise this.

Think of it this way - too many kids choices at Qwik Serve are chicken nuggets, now everyone will know they can get the ribs combo platter for the child credit.

And the price increase is certainly going to reflect the knowledge. :)
Have prices come down or gone up at restaurants where you live? Even McDonalds, with declining sales, has changed their $Dollar Menu.

Similarly, price increases for Disney Dining Plans will likely come with price increases for a la carte menu pricing too.

I stated at the top of the Thread - I'll still need an abacus to determine if the Dining Plan offers any discounts for my family.

Even when I ate desserts, I could never get the numbers to work in my favor for regular DDP.

And the DxDP is simply too much food. These potential new changes can alter that math entirely.

I'm excited about these changes, especially since my parents will be joining us on our next trip and my dad (who will only be there for 8 of 11 days) won't be using all his meal credits, so my mother can apply some of theirs to my family, who will run out before our trip is over!

I know it's been mentioned about diabetics, but the ability to exchange dessert for salad, etc. is exciting news for those guests, who like me, can get tired of often eating the same pre-packaged gluten free offerings.

I wonder if DDP sales were down so they are trying to make it more appealing.
This is what I am thinking. I think outside of free dining, DDP sales have gone down and the biggest complaint: (at least what I hear on here and other boards) flexibility. It seems like Disney is listening. If they can entice people back onto DDP, keep them staying onsite (and away from Universal, etc.) then they are ahead without being out too much at all. While the kid's meals are cheaper than adults, they also come with two sides that are often more appealing to my kids (i.e yogurt, pudding, applesauce, apple slices, grapes, etc.). But, I think the suspicion may be right that dining plan costs are going to go up.

Have prices come down or gone up at restaurants where you live? Even McDonalds, with declining sales, has changed their $Dollar Menu.

Similarly, price increases for Disney Dining Plans will likely come with price increases for a la carte menu pricing too.

I stated at the top of the Thread - I'll still need an abacus to determine if the Dining Plan offers any discounts for my family.

Even when I ate desserts, I could never get the numbers to work in my favor for regular DDP.

And the DxDP is simply too much food. These potential new changes can alter that math entirely.

If the DP today, with its relative inflexibility and its cost, doesn't work for a person because they would leave a dessert on the table, or have to buy a salad OOP if they really wanted one (or not buy a salad b/c they have to pay OOP), it's financially silly to pay for a more flexible dining plan when it's certainly going to cost extra. Seems like if you're willing to pay more, just leave desserts in the kitchen and pay $7 for a wanted salad/appetizer with the current cost of the dining plan. :)

It's clever, though, see how many people who will very likely be happy to pay more for flexibility when they can take the plan as it is today and pay more for what they want. :)

Not combating you, JZ. :) But as a total NON-user of the dining plan, I watch the outrage of people as things change, and THIS change is going to amuse me, watching people adopt it because it's flexy, while paying probably the same as they could pay now, buying the plan and adding on as they wish.

Flexibility is good. Hopefully it will reduce the delays at the cashier where people were trying to figure what they could get on the dining plan. At the Polynesian Captain Cooks it seemed like the cashiers were constantly telling customers they couldn't have everything on their tray unless they were willing to pay extra OR people didn't take enough food.

If the DP today, with its relative inflexibility and its cost, doesn't work for a person because they would leave a dessert on the table, or have to buy a salad OOP if they really wanted one (or not buy a salad b/c they have to pay OOP), it's financially silly to pay for a more flexible dining plan when it's certainly going to cost extra. Seems like if you're willing to pay more, just leave desserts in the kitchen and pay $7 for a wanted salad/appetizer with the current cost of the dining plan. :)

It's clever, though, see how many people who will very likely be happy to pay more for flexibility when they can take the plan as it is today and pay more for what they want. :)

Not combating you, JZ. :) But as a total NON-user of the dining plan, I watch the outrage of people as things change, and THIS change is going to amuse me, watching people adopt it because it's flexy, while paying probably the same as they could pay now, buying the plan and adding on as they wish.
Certainly going to cost extra?

People have the thing purchased.

Changes may be next week.

You are making assumptions for which there are no details to support your conclusion.

If DDP costs go up while a la carte menu prices also increase - your math may simply be wrong. We have no details.

Further, Disney may be making changes because many people, like me, can do simple math and never get the finances to work. So I eat someplace else for more than half my main meals. For the same money (really less) - we eat at Swan & Dolphin and/or order from Whole Foods. On the other hand, if Disney makes enough changes, they may get all my money. This is not just about a dessert, it's also about effectively transferring credits I could never use or giving me the option to eat two pretzels & a bag of popcorn instead of one plate of chicken nuggets with fries.

Disney is presently losing much of my business and I never leave the property. I'm not the only one.

Sometimes - supply and demand curves make management offer a better deal.

You are convinced Disney is trying to offer less/more for more $$ (without any details to support your claim).

I'm not convinced of anything until I see actual details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter