Nikon D50 vs D70s

When it comes to DSLRs, I'm a newbie at best. However, the following links are reviews and specs from dpreview.com. Here's the link for the Nikon D50 and the Nikon D70. Are you pretty savvy when it comes to DSLR or a newbie like me? In another thread, I bought a D50 a couple of weeks ago and we love it! We find that it's very easy to use and takes very high quality photos.

There are D70 owners here so I'm assuming they'll chime in soon. Good luck!

lap3 said:
When it comes to DSLRs, I'm a newbie at best. However, the following links are reviews and specs from dpreview.com. Here's the link for the Nikon D50 and the Nikon D70. Are you pretty savvy when it comes to DSLR or a newbie like me? In another thread, I bought a D50 a couple of weeks ago and we love it! We find that it's very easy to use and takes very high quality photos.

There are D70 owners here so I'm assuming they'll chime in soon. Good luck!

I'm a newbie. I use the 'auto' mode or 1 of the preset modes.

Great! We're in the same boat!...so to speak. I don't think you'll go wrong with either camera. My wife isn't too SLR-literate(not to same I am any better) but she finds that our D50 is extremely easy to use in auto mode. I posted the very first photo I took with it in in another thread but I'll post it again...
120989608.jpg

Let me know what you think... Also, check out some of the sample photo galleries for both the D50 and D70 on pbase.com. The photos there are amazing!

garris3404 said:
I'm a newbie. I use the 'auto' mode or 1 of the preset modes.

From what I've read, "AUTO" mode should be avoided as it doesn't make the best choice in camera settings and it pops the flash up when you may not want it to. I mostly use "P" mode or one of the other semi-auto modes (S, A and sometimes M). I rarely use the other modes (portrait, night, etc).

The D50 and the D70 are both very good cameras and will meet your needs. Both use a 6.1 megapixel sensor in fact I think it is the same sensor between the D70s and D50 while the D70 used a different version (I could be wrong on that but I thought that was what I read). Until doing some research I did not realize that the D50 used a SD memory card while the D70 and D70s use the Compact Flash card which is what the higher ended DSLR cameras from Nikon use. Focusing and exposure settings are the largest difference between the two with the D70 giving you more options. If you are using this as a step up from a point and shoot, the D50 is a good logical step while the D70s begins to take you into the realm of total control. I would suggest going to a camera store and trying both to see which one best meets your needs and feels most comfortable. The right camera is the one that fits your style and comfort level. Features and functions won't mean anything if the camera stays in the bag because you don't feel comfortable using it.

Jeff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter