• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2020

People can go now though. It is a choice right now to go or not to go. That’s why they also offered the cancellation option. I’ve only used my pass so far for 7 days total. I would not expect a full refund. Of course that would be nice but I’m also realistic on that front.
I think calling it a choice, while correct in theory, is a very simplistic view by Disney.

Theres a global pandemic that’s affecting the world in ways that no one alive has witnessed. It’s affected every industry in one way or another. It’s a new virus and it’s not exactly known how to tell a “high risk” individual from a low risk one. There are loose guidelines on that, but it’s far from set in stone.

In addition, Florida is the covid capital of the world right now. I heard a stat that if it was it’s own country, it would be something like 6th globally in case numbers. It’s very difficult to ignore that factor when weighing the risk, and while it looks like Disney is doing a really good job of enforcing policies and practices related to covid, the fact remains it’s still located in a major hotspot, and that the people working there live in said hotspot. Not to mention having to travel in however way you’re getting there, car, plane, train etc, isn’t exactly a welcoming proposition in this time.

Imo Disney should extend current passholders through next year. It’s very unlikely the situation is going to change drastically in a positive direction by years end, and I’m sure this will spill over into next year. The most optimistic forecasts for any sort of vaccine is October for vulnerable populations, and widespread dispersal in the spring. And who knows if that’ll be an accurate timeline or how well the vaccine will work.

bottom line, Disney is foolish to alienate locals and passholders at large. The economic ripples for this aren’t going away. There’s still millions out of work and we run the risk of having millions homeless if an aid package isn’t passed by Congress soon. The marker to spend the kind of money on a Disney vacation is going to thin for the foreseeable future, and I think they’re going to rue the day they took their loyal passholders for granted.

sorry for the long winded response and not trying to target you specifically Ryan, I just wanted to lay out in full how ridiculous I think their approach to this is

Do we know how the other Busch parks were affected by this? Or is that total revenue loss for the entire company?
Thats the entire company. Several of their parks are still closed and most were closed for Q2.

Edit to add:
SeaWorld San Diego is closed
Busch Williamsburg is only open for a festival but no rides.
SeaWorld San Antonio is open
SeaWorld Orlando is open
Busch Tampa is open
Sesame Place is open

Last edited:
Yeesh, that’s a tough look for them but certainly not surprising. I’m not even sure what Busch/sea world parks are open, tho I’d imagine sea world San Diego and Busch Williamsburg are probably still closed at the very least
San Diego hasn’t opened yet. Busch Williamsburg is open for a festival but no rides (the park is limited to 1000 people by the state).
98/861≈11% operating days
So this is also for before several of the parks had opened.

Obviously, but they aren't filling the park with weeklongers.

Unless an AP holder is displacing a higher value guest, they are making more off that AP holder than the empty void not taken up by the mythical higher value guest. Not filling the parks with APs when it's clear they aren't going to be filled otherwise is leaving money on the table.

Not to mention, many Plantum APs are weeklongers.

I think you all are reading way too much into what Chapek said about AP vs non-AP. It's not like they are turning people away and are choosing to only let in the high rollers.

But are they making any money off the AP holder? Maybe their info says those holders really don't offset, in the aggregate, their variable costs (more ride loads, more cleanings, more materials use of sanitizer/bathrooms, more employees needed, etc). I mean, if they have free parking and leave after a couple hours, not eating, what money have they brought the parks?

I think the numbers and the current strategy, and even the discussion in the meeting last week, show they aren't really bringing much right now, when you aggregate them (here or there, an AP spends a ton, but that's probably not the norm right now)...if they were, they'd keep selling APs...

PS - I think the next APs will be a "set cost" and then a "per day cost of use" to offset Covid costs...so it may be "buy the pass, get your 1st 4 days included, and $10/day for every extra visit)...

San Diego hasn’t opened yet. Busch Williamsburg is open for a festival but no rides (the park is limited to 1000 people by the state).
98/861≈11% operating days
So this is also for before several of the parks had opened.

Busch Gardens W opened for the festival in August (and does have very limited rides with the fest), so it was closed for the whole reported quarter (as is Water Country USA, which is not open, even now)...

I for one like Sea World. Even as a tree huger, I think zoos* serve a propose, especially now that they are no longer actively capturing animals. The loss is probably better than what it could've been based on the drop on revenue.

In normal times Chapter 11 would be an available option for someone like Sea World, but I've been wondering about places like them and Chucky E' Cheese right now. Will lenders actually give them restructuring money when there is very little revenue coming in and no one knows when that revenue will return? Not to mention, anything kids focused was headed into a negative growth period before COVID just due to demographics (saw a lot on this when Toys 'R Us went under, just less kids being born).

*High quality zoos like Sea World, Animal Kingdom, most large city zoos, not the zoos on Tiger King.

I for one like Sea World. Even as a tree huger, I think zoos* serve a propose, especially now that they are no longer actively capturing animals. The loss is probably better than what it could've been based on the drop on revenue.

In normal times Chapter 11 would be an available option for someone like Sea World, but I've been wondering about places like them and Chucky E' Cheese right now. Will lenders actually give them restructuring money when there is very little revenue coming in and no one knows when that revenue will return? Not to mention, anything kids focused was headed into a negative growth period before COVID just due to demographics (saw a lot on this when Toys 'R Us went under, just less kids being born).

*High quality zoos like Sea World, Animal Kingdom, most large city zoos, not the zoos on Tiger King.
Not to mention the rescue work SeaWorld does on the Florida coast lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter