News Round Up 2020

This is a different Live Action Little Mermaid which hasn't been shot yet - it was scheduled to start filming this week but is now on indefinite hiatus. The previous version was just a TV special made to celebrate the film's 30th anniversary

Oh I thought you meant the TV special. I'm excited about the remake.

It could've been produced a lot better. It was clearly produced to be filler. Hard to follow, but maybe that is because I tuned in late.

I'd like some Pikes Peak racing reruns too.
If you want some hillclimb stuff, you can search youtube for "new england hillclimb" for lots of good hillclimb action.
You can also follow my former employer on amazon and youtube if you search "Subaru Launch Control", which is really well done web series that followed our race team for the last 5 years or so.

Why were they even trying??? Still cannot understand what people don't understand about social-distancing.
Businesses have bills to pay. They have employees they want to also provide an income to. Probably just trying to take advantage of Spring break. I feel bad for employees who work for businesses where they can't just "work from home". (in other words .. the entire tourist industry).

I suspect a lot of businesses will just close from a combination of social pressure, but realistically simply due to lack of business and demand. (Look at Kohls). With a lot of the country staying at home .. no one is going shopping for clothes.

I'll be honest and say I'm not up on all that is happening in the US. The majority of Canada has been shut down for a week now and today in our province they've announced the closing of all non-essential services. It had been recommended since the middle of last week but is now being enforced. This is terrible for everyone but if we don't slow this down many people will die!

I'll be honest and say I'm not up on all that is happening in the US. The majority of Canada has been shut down for a week now and today in our province they've announced the closing of all non-essential services. It had been recommended since the middle of last week but is now being enforced. This is terrible for everyone but if we don't slow this down many people will die!

the confusing part in the US is that it is sort of being handled state by state and Florida has been a bit behind other areas - so I live in NY and things have largely been closed for bit now so seems odd that something like Funspot is only closing now, but I know things were different in Florida

the confusing part in the US is that it is sort of being handled state by state and Florida has been a bit behind other areas - so I live in NY and things have largely been closed for bit now so seems odd that something like Funspot is only closing now, but I know things were different in Florida
Agreed but they should have closed already.

On March 18th they announced in my state a mandated 14-day self-quarantine for travel on or after March 15th for several places as well as cruise ships. Florida was added at that time. Prior to that it was a recommendation and for CA, NY, WA and certain counties in CO, cruise ship and international travel.

Florida was already an issue. They were just trying to hold on which in one way I sympathize because of economics but they are unfortunately a place where people can congregate and that's been considered a no no for long enough that it would have been prudent to close before now.

I'm close by you in Ontario and our closings are similar to yours. I cannot imagine how difficult this is on all of our governments! I do not envy any of them at a time like this.

definitely different state to state. They are also varying as to whether things are being enforced or just a strong recommendation. In Vermont, school were required to have closed by last wednesday, but most did not open for students on the monday, so teachers could prepare home based learning plans.
Vermont is largely a tourist based economy, and it is and will hit hard. Many restaurants rely on tourism. Governor went to the extent that restaurants could serve take out and/or deliver beyond their normal scope. Craft beer is a large part of what folks do here, so restaurants are allowed to deliver beer, where that wasn't allowed prior.
Lots of places are figuring it out on the fly, and coming to terms with what is essential for survival, and trying to balance it with what is essential for survival of their economy.

As to disney, all I can of in this scope is when they let the value resort sit half completed after 9/11 and it took a while before they restarted that project. Can't help but think things will stall for a bit even once people feel free to roam the parks again.

Most places are enacting such measures when it's become evident of wide enough community spread. Otherwise it's more social distancing and such. Travel-related self-isolation and all. Limit number of social gatherings and such. As the spread occurs more restrictions add. And there's also the point to be made for how much information we've learned and yet to learn about all this.

Governor went to the extent that restaurants could serve take out and/or deliver beyond their normal scope. Craft beer is a large part of what folks do here, so restaurants are allowed to deliver beer, where that wasn't allowed prior.
Ours was adjusted too. We have so many stand alone liquor stores because the liquor laws were so restrictive over my state's history (we had prohibition long before it started and kept it for long after it ended). They adjusted, with rules still, for curbside delivery.

Most places with dine-in bans and the more restrictive stay at home (or shelter in place) have such allowances for curbside, take out or delivery.

We're about to be part of a 30-day stay at home order starting just after midnight tonight and liquor stores are being counted as essential. The product itself isn't essential the jobs however are being considered. Not counting this past week they had an 10K jump in just one week in unemployment filings in my state from just under 1,300 to just over 11,300.

**That brings up another point for other threads that have been started. In terms of Disney reopening there may be a lot of citizens under such stay at home orders that even IF Disney were to reopen people may not be able to travel there.

To add, Vermont has just suspended the collection of rooms and meals tax in an effort to help those that earn a living in the tourist industry. Certainly welcomed by those businesses, but also means a huge loss of tax revenue for the state. I think ultimately, the economic impact to the Disney properties will be far greater than just the short term virus closures.

Schools in North Carolina aren’t opening again until May 15th and it was just announced. You guys think Disney will open before schools?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter