• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've done the package pickup there before and it's been quick and easy enough, so when we find something we have to have we do that, but unless we feel we need it, we just choose not to buy which winds up being 99% of the time. Whereas at Disney we buy everything we consider it seems (partially because we're crazy people).

And if Universal went back to the no bags but things in secured pockets are fine, policy, I'd go back quite often again. I don't exactly walk around with a lot, just phone sunglasses and wallet. Not letting me wear my watch on a ride is just being tedious and annoying.

Actually, I lost my Magic Band on Forbidden Journey. I had two quarters way deep in my pocket with a flap. They still came out and I had to grab them. My husband almost lost his glasses. That ride, above all others, needs lockers.

I wouldn't say Universal isn't my thing, I'm a big fan of most of their rides, we used to go at least one day every trip down to Disney. To us, the lockers are a big hassle and why we don't buy merchandise there, either you bring absolute nothing with you or you have to use these lockers, possibly getting stuck paying more. They are the only Park I know of that requires lockers before rides. The metal detectors before the rides, also means you can't have anything that sets the detectors off, last time I was told my watch had to go in a locker if I wanted to ride the Hulk. It's just ridiculous to me, when places with similar and far larger and more intense rides don't require this stuff. Basically it's come down to if we want immersion we go to Disney, if we want coasters we go to Six Flags and Busch Gardens, if we want big thrill coasters we go to Cedar Point.

It's an inconvenience with no real reasoning. Same reason I don't fly certain airlines that make aspects more difficult than other airlines.

I'm really hoping they keep this nonsense out of their third park. I'm really looking forward to the Nintendo stuff.

I agree. The lockers are a BIG deterrent for me. My family grew up going to theme parks knowing that only the bare minimum could be carried. Women sacrificed a lot by not bringing purses so we could get on rides faster. Disney solves the problem completely while Universal makes it impossible to avoid. Hulk and RRR are really the only 2 rides left that it should even matter, and with those they should be able to find a better solution than lockers. I can't believe I haven't forgotten which locker our stuff was in yet, especially without my phone to write it down...

To each their own of course and I have no issues with Universal not quite being your thing however that seems like a relatively low bar for main reasons not to visit a theme park. Part of a culmination of reasons? Sure-like type of rides, atmosphere, cost, etc. But as a main reason? It's an interesting viewpoint that's for sure.

My issue is its just the same type of ride over and over again. I joked last time that they should give you a pair of 3-D glasses when you enter the park and just have you return them at the end.

Actually, I lost my Magic Band on Forbidden Journey. I had two quarters way deep in my pocket with a flap. They still came out and I had to grab them. My husband almost lost his glasses. That ride, above all others, needs lockers.

They used to allow you to store a bag under the seat on Forbidden Journey. It slowed down load time and that's when they introduced the lockers.

They used to allow you to store a bag under the seat on Forbidden Journey. It slowed down load time and that's when they introduced the lockers.
When was that and was it in Hollywood or Orlando? I did not ride FJ for the first time until February 2017 in Orlando, and there is no place to put anything under the seat. It is a "flying" vehicle with legs dangling.

My issue is its just the same type of ride over and over again. I joked last time that they should give you a pair of 3-D glasses when you enter the park and just have you return them at the end.
Yeah I love Universal but that would be my main complaint as I cannot do simulator after simulator. I would like more variety.

I agree. The lockers are a BIG deterrent for me. My family grew up going to theme parks knowing that only the bare minimum could be carried. Women sacrificed a lot by not bringing purses so we could get on rides faster. Disney solves the problem completely while Universal makes it impossible to avoid. Hulk and RRR are really the only 2 rides left that it should even matter, and with those they should be able to find a better solution than lockers. I can't believe I haven't forgotten which locker our stuff was in yet, especially without my phone to write it down...
We always try to bring nothing with us that we can't just put in pockets - "No bags" line. Of course, that means emptying out our pockets to go through scanners if selected. And of course, we are not traveling with stroller and kids.., that's a whole different scenario.

But I wouldn't hesitate to use a locker to safeguard my phone, however, i would rather not have to.

Yeah I love Universal but that would be my main complaint as I cannot do simulator after simulator. I would like more variety.
We've never done Universal Orlando, but DH has no desire to go back to Universal Hollywood precisely because of how many rides are simulator. Makes for an unpleasant day for him on the whole. Never has that issue with Disney. :)

We've never done Universal Orlando, but DH has no desire to go back to Universal Hollywood precisely because of how many rides are simulator. Makes for an unpleasant day for him on the whole. Never has that issue with Disney. :)
I can understand that.

I'm already used to sitting out rides that are big rollercoasters (big drops and loops) and have been doing this for years at my own amusement park and at the Six Flags that I've been to so I'm content to sit out the simulators that I don't want to do; I people watch, listen and watch for my husband while he's on the ride, rest my feet, look over the map (I'm weird because I actually really like to do that), enjoy the atmosphere, etc. For example while I've done The Mummy I opted to sit it out this most recent trip. While my husband was on it I watched The Blues Brothers performance.

Universal still has enough to offer me elsewhere throughout the park even if I wish I could get more variety with 'new' rides (meaning rides closed down and reopened as something else) and actual new rides. But I know for others the admission price is not worth it and I totally get it.

We cannot have plastic shopping bags to hold purchases, because they are crafty and escape to the wilds. These crafty plastic shopping bags cause littering and damaging the environment because people do not dispose of them properly prompting a tax to wean us all away from them. Yet it is a good idea to hand out Ziploc bags at Splash, without any concerns about polluting the environment???? Am I the only one aghast at the idea? Or is the idea to collect $0.07 per Ziploc?

Does the Ziplock sponsorship for Splash indicate that Disney is going to retheme or do a big refurb on the ride?

When was that and was it in Hollywood or Orlando? I did not ride FJ for the first time until February 2017 in Orlando, and there is no place to put anything under the seat. It is a "flying" vehicle with legs dangling.

It was in orlando. They used to have a net compartment under the seat. This was in 2011.

Those trying to make FP selections today may have a difficult time. That aspect of the system is currently down.

Disney's system just doesn't seem to be able to handle the 7AM FP rush ... it's pathetic. I think the breaking news should be when the FP selection system actually works as intended for more than a few days in a row. I'm dreading the morning of 8/24 when my FP window opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter