• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect there will always be some fanbase for Lord of the Rings. It's a book that has been around for decades and attracts new readers all the time.

It's interesting to us, though, that US park IP just doesn't come close to appealing to our family as much as Disney IP does. I'm in the HATE Avatar bucket, but appreciate that Disney created an excellent ride and cool land. There just isn't enough to draw us to US, though I suspect they'd do a good job with a LOTR land. We saw US Hollywood (for Walking Dead!!), and the Potter stuff is certainly cute. No division there between that section and the rest of the park which doesn't make it as immersive as it could otherwise be, but well-executed for sure.
I have to believe the two largest untapped targets post Nintendo is Star Trek and LoTRs. I would be much, much, much more fanboy for Star Trek than either LoTRs or even Star wars.

I have to believe the two largest untapped targets post Nintendo is Star Trek and LoTRs. I would be much, much, much more fanboy for Star Trek than either LoTRs or even Star wars.
LotR is probably the best unused IP there is, with the possible exception of Game of Thrones.

LotR also has a television series currently in development. If the right studio ever got the rights from the Tolkien Estate they could go on a Star Wars level project of film development with all the stories from the Silmarillion alone.

I do wonder how it would work in a theme park setting though. Seems difficult to do realistic medieval rides.

I do wonder how it would work in a theme park setting though. Seems difficult to do realistic medieval rides.

A dark ride coaster hybrid through the mines of Moria would be an easy home run. Start out through the magic doors barely escaping the octopus thing that guards the door, stops in the bone room and the grand staircase for the dark ride portion. Orcs chasing you to the long bridge and slipping past the Balrog? Could be one of the greatest story rides/coasters ever built if done correctly.

You could easily do a less intense dark water ride down the river through Mirkwood, out to LakeTown and staring up at the Lonely Mountain while Smaug circles. Wood Elves, giant spiders, Lake Town ruffians.

Fly with the giant eagles over all of Middle Earth. Essentially a FoP clone. Start in Hobbiton, over the Misty Mountains with the snow giants, through Lothlorian and on to Mordor before returning to Gondor.

The rides aren't the problem. Neither are the shops. Gondor is a major city, Lake Town would be an incredible setting, Hobbiton would work, The Prancing Pony in Bree for a restaurant. Lothlorian or The Last Homely House would be harder but I could see either. Standing on the wall in Helm's Deep? Staring into an Orthanc that interacts with you through a Universal equivalent of a Magic Band.

I'd be more excited for this than Star Wars and I'm not really a Universal guy.

A dark ride coaster hybrid through the mines of Moria would be an easy home run. Start out through the magic doors barely escaping the octopus thing that guards the door, stops in the bone room and the grand staircase for the dark ride portion. Orcs chasing you to the long bridge and slipping past the Balrog? Could be one of the greatest story rides/coasters ever built if done correctly.

You could easily do a less intense dark water ride down the river through Mirkwood, out to LakeTown and staring up at the Lonely Mountain while Smaug circles. Wood Elves, giant spiders, Lake Town ruffians.

Fly with the giant eagles over all of Middle Earth. Essentially a FoP clone. Start in Hobbiton, over the Misty Mountains with the snow giants, through Lothlorian and on to Mordor before returning to Gondor.

The rides aren't the problem. Neither are the shops. Gondor is a major city, Lake Town would be an incredible setting, Hobbiton would work, The Prancing Pony in Bree for a restaurant. Lothlorian or The Last Homely House would be harder but I could see either. Standing on the wall in Helm's Deep? Staring into an Orthanc that interacts with you through a Universal equivalent of a Magic Band.

Yes! These all sound amazing.

When I saw the Hobbit I thought that the barrel ride would make an excellent theme park attraction. And think of the opportunities for food and drinks!

Last edited:

I would not be here without LotR. My parents first conversation was because they were both reading the books. They are both Trekkies over SW and LofR but like them all. I am very much looking forward to taking my mom to meet Chewy next month! I am not sure Star Trek has as much pull with the younger generations now like LotR and SW. I think all sci-fi fans would spend $$$ to experience first hand what books, comics, TV series and video games can not do. As with HP, if GE is as huge a thing as most expect we will see more lands follow.

My husband would never leave. I have a step daughter whose middle name is Maril after the Silmarillion. He tried to get our son's name to spell ORC...it almost happened, although naming him Obiwan wasn't ever happening...he tried ;)
I think it'd be cool, but I'm more excited about Star Wars. I did really enjoy WWoHP, and a Ministry of Magic sounds fascinating. I also think a Nintendo land would be a blast. We will see what Universal pulls off.

If that article turns out to be true, and a fourth park opens that involves new Harry Potter, LotR, Nintendo, and a bigger Jurassic Park/World, that would probably be enough to get us to take a Universal Vacation instead of a Disney Vacation. All of that honestly sounds much more interesting to us than what Disney's doing lately. I understand the importance of Marvel/Star Wars/Toy Story to Disney's company and I'm fairly indifferent to them having a larger presence in the parks, but they're not brands that resonate with me nearly as much as...pretty much all of what would supposedly be going into Universal's 4th park.

If that article turns out to be true, and a fourth park opens that involves new Harry Potter, LotR, Nintendo, and a bigger Jurassic Park/World, that would probably be enough to get us to take a Universal Vacation instead of a Disney Vacation. All of that honestly sounds much more interesting to us than what Disney's doing lately. I understand the importance of Marvel/Star Wars/Toy Story to Disney's company and I'm fairly indifferent to them having a larger presence in the parks, but they're not brands that resonate with me nearly as much as...pretty much all of what would supposedly be going into Universal's 4th park.
So you count Volcano Bay as a theme park? Not that I want to go down that rabbit hole a new park would be their third true park not fourth.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on LotR. It's just not an IP like Harry Potter that excites me.

If we are playing the "who's in the minority more" game then I may take the cake.

I was never into Harry Potter before I agree'd to watch the series with my then girlfriend in preparation for our Universal trip. She's a die hard and wanted to see Diagon Alley as soon as it opened. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I wouldn't label myself as a fanboy. I also enjoyed the land quite a bit.

Star Wars does absolutely nothing for me. Crossing my fingers that Galaxy's Edge just takes the crowds away from the other parks, but I know better than that.

I have zero interest in learning more about Pandora, or the Avatar universe, but gotta give credit where credit is due. Flights of Passage was pretty fantastic.

Never got into Lord of the Rings. Even though I play Dungeons & Dragons I have no real affiliation with medieval fantasy settings. I enjoy the improvisational aspects of D&D more than anything else.

Never got into Star Trek. The older series seemed more political, which is totally fine, but not my speed. The newer Star Trek content seems to be alienating it's original fanbase, which leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Marvel is just too big for me to get into. I fell off at the start of Phase 3. I'm so lost when it comes to the overarching story. I'd prefer my superhero's out of the existing parks, but that's obviously a battle I'm not winning.

Trying to think of any other big "fanbased" IPs...

Hmm...today I learned I'm pretty boring.

EDIT: I think the point I was trying to make is that it's ok to not be excited about big name IPs while still enjoying the feats of engineering that come with it.

So you count Volcano Bay as a theme park? Not that I want to go down that rabbit hole a new park would be their third true park not fourth.

I'm just using their language. Honestly, I haven't cared enough about Universal to actually consider whether or not I'd count Volcano Bay as a true theme park. If they want to call Volcano Bay their third gate, I don't personally have a problem with that. If there's a debate to be had, I'll leave it to those who are more invested.

News

John Lasseter's six month leave is almost up and nobody knows what is going to happen next...

https://www.fastcompany.com/40551146/inside-disney-and-pixar-the-debate-over-john-lasseters-return

This, however, I care very much about! I've been wondering a lot about what will happen around John Lasseter, and the precedent Disney will set both for their company and the animation industry with their decision. Of course he's integral to the company in many ways, but welcoming him back could very well do lasting damage to their "family friendly" brand in today's cultural climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter