News Round Up 2016

Perhaps the Sun-Thurs stays are more a case of people like us that don't get off work till Friday at 5 p.m. and drive from Illinois leaving Saturday and trying to be home with a day to spare in case of anything goes wrong at home. We are not DVC (yet) but have rented points and stayed non DVC and our times of stays are always Sun-Fri morning. Even the times we have flown, we stayed on Hotel Blvd on Saturday night.

In all our trips though, I can honestly say that the few extra hundreds for staying Saturday through Wednesday night hasn't ever been an issue, it is just the timing of vacation ?

I know of bunch of jerzites that would go sun- Thursday...3 times a year(usually jan and feb)...to save a total of 8 points over the weekends.

Just like Florida residents will go fri-sun 4 times during food and wine.

It mucks up the whole calendar. Short stays are fine...but focusing on certain times of the calendar is hard for everyone

Last edited:
I know of bunch of jerzites that would go sun- Thursday...3 times a year(usually jan and feb)...to save a total of 8 points over the weekends. Contrary to popular opinion, Jerzites, whilst being big in number may not be the "typical" travelers. pirate:

Just like Florida residents will go fri-sun 4 times during food and wine. Probably a smart move as the weekends are said to be crazy busy. I am going the last week in September and will be there Sun- Fri again. It is just how traveling fits. :tigger:

It mucks up the whole calendar. Short stays are fine...but focusing on certain times of the calendar is hard for everyone

oh I hear ya...I'm not attempting to make either of these anecdotal but true scenarios epidemic....

But we all have to navigate a minefield made up of these and many Other obstacles to get use out of the points.

Anything they do to create "more flexibility"...which if we're honest huge prices have started to...along with small but important things like a the $10 cancellation fee on dining...have loosened things up a bit.

@lockedoutlogic I know you've mentioned things on this before but it seems you might be onto something based on the latest Jim Hill podcast and yes I know what you think about him.

Jim says that WDW management has been looking at transportation a lot lately and yes that is evident in the road work, parking changes etc. Disney is apparently looking at moving the TTC offsite bus parking/drop off area will be moved to the old WDW Air strip. That then frees up some land in the TTC area. The TTC stuff then gets moved to that old parking lot area. Guess what you have then freed up space right next to the Polynesian... Along with this he says keep and eye on the site just north of the TTC as a new Theme park view resort could be popping up there in time for the 50th anniversary.

Jim also says that River Country DVC is back on the table. Since they have equipment onsite already they will move over there later in the year to demolish river country for the eventual DVC resort. The demolition does not mean construction on the new DVC resort would start but just so they have the site prepped for eventual construction.

@lockedoutlogic I know you've mentioned things on this before but it seems you might be onto something based on the latest Jim Hill podcast and yes I know what you think about him.

Jim says that WDW management has been looking at transportation a lot lately and yes that is evident in the road work, parking changes etc. Disney is apparently looking at moving the TTC offsite bus parking/drop off area will be moved to the old WDW Air strip. That then frees up some land in the TTC area. The TTC stuff then gets moved to that old parking lot area. Guess what you have then freed up space right next to the Polynesian... Along with this he says keep and eye on the site just north of the TTC as a new Theme park view resort could be popping up there in time for the 50th anniversary.

Jim also says that River Country DVC is back on the table. Since they have equipment onsite already they will move over there later in the year to demolish river country for the eventual DVC resort. The demolition does not mean construction on the new DVC resort would start but just so they have the site prepped for eventual construction.
What kind of facilities would these be? Cabins?

Whoa. I have not here this (not a Jim Hill listener). Very exciting possibility.

There are a handful of DVC concepts that Disney have floated internally and which just keep coming back. River Country is one of them, another was a DVC that would overlook Epcot and have an entrance into the park.

Disney doesn't tend to waste ideas, they just put them on the shelf and come back to them 5, 10, 15 years later.

There are a handful of DVC concepts that Disney have floated internally and which just keep coming back. River Country is one of them, another was a DVC that would overlook Epcot and have an entrance into the park.

Disney doesn't tend to waste ideas, they just put them on the shelf and come back to them 5, 10, 15 years later.
Exactly. The river country resort has been around for years. It's just now it finally makes the most sense I guess.

I know better than to count on any of this, but I like every word of it. After reading many "hints" here and there about the Poly expanding to include traditional 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom units, I've had a feeling this might be how they would do that. We'll see.

I also think the River Country DVC plans look amazing, so I hope this option stays in play as well.

ETA: Not sure yet how I'd feel about a new theme park resort just north of TTC. So maybe I don't love "every word of this."

There's been plans for a resort north of TTC since the resorts opened. I think that was supposed to be the Persian resort.

I get the feeling they're trigger shy about building it.

There's been plans for a resort north of TTC since the resorts opened. I think that was supposed to be the Persian resort.

I get the feeling they're trigger shy about building it.
I believe that was the Venetian resort. It actually started site prep but the land was not completely suitable at the time.

Last edited:
I believe that was the Venetian resort. It actually started site prep but the land was or completely suitable at the time.

You are correct. For some reason, totally forgot about the Venetian and only remembered Persian.

ETA: Not sure yet how I'd feel about a new theme park resort just north of TTC. So maybe I don't love "every word of this."

I'm getting a picture of Seven Seas being pretty much ringed in by condo towers. Or at least a fair number getting squeezed in as long as the credit bubble lasts ... or maybe beyond.

Which isn't bad by itself, but it makes me wonder even more what is the point of imposing an extra "journey" by boat or monorail on the MK guest who arrives by car.

I'm getting a picture of Seven Seas being pretty much ringed in by condo towers. Or at least a fair number getting squeezed in as long as the credit bubble lasts ... or maybe beyond.

Which isn't bad by itself, but it makes me wonder even more what is the point of imposing an extra "journey" by boat or monorail on the MK guest who arrives by car.
Interestingly enough the original plans for the area did have a resort there so if they followed those plans we would have towers there already.

I'm expecting at least someone handcuffing himself to a tree in Tom Sawyer Island.
Parking opened back up a couple hours ago. It was believed parking issues was because today was the first non-blackout date.

Unfortunately no reports of people chained to any trees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter