• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Newbie to WDW

SeansMom

DIS Veteran
Help! We would really like to experience WDW instead of DL this fall or winter. Then I read reservations for meals 160 days out!?! Wow! Any awesome planners with advice?
We are working around my husbands hunting season so September 21 through October 31st....or January 2019 would work. Thoughts?
Any input appreciated.

Halloween week is a great time to go--so much fun and you can count on swimming. Otherwise, last week of January is usually pretty enjoyable for lower(ish) crowds but it can be cold some times.

For this September you will have a hard time getting ADRs in the popular restaurants. In January the weather could be cold - we happen to like it better but it won't be that hot. Also if you go in January you will have plenty of time to get the popular ADRs - the reservations open at 180 days out.
Have fun!

Halloween week is a great time to go--so much fun and you can count on swimming. Otherwise, last week of January is usually pretty enjoyable for lower(ish) crowds but it can be cold some times.
Is Halloween time a busier time?

For this September you will have a hard time getting ADRs in the popular restaurants. In January the weather could be cold - we happen to like it better but it won't be that hot. Also if you go in January you will have plenty of time to get the popular ADRs - the reservations open at 180 days out.
Have fun!
Good to know. So I need to decide by 180 days where I want to eat? Yikes!

Yes that is the hard part. I would make them and then you can cancel if you decide you don't want to eat there.

The worst part about the booking making reservations 180 days out isn't having to decide where to eat, it's looking into everything, making your reservations and getting all amped up about going and then realizing that you're 180 days out haha

Halloween is busy like Easter or Thanksgiving or July 4th, etc. It's busier than the last week of January, though, which is largely one of the slower times (some years). There aren't really slow times at all any more--just busy, crazy busy, and insane.

Good to know. So I need to decide by 180 days where I want to eat? Yikes!

You don't HAVE to. There are plenty of places you can get reservations a week out or even day of. There are also plenty of places you don't even need a reservation for. But there are some "higher" end restaurants or character meals that you DO need reservations.

It's not necessary though. Personally, my trip in December will be the first I have EVER made dining reservations for and I've been to Disney a lot. It really depends how long you will be there though and what kind of dining expectations you have. Some people NEED sit downs and character experiences. Others don't!

You don't HAVE to. There are plenty of places you can get reservations a week out or even day of. There are also plenty of places you don't even need a reservation for. But there are some "higher" end restaurants or character meals that you DO need reservations.

It's not necessary though. Personally, my trip in December will be the first I have EVER made dining reservations for and I've been to Disney a lot. It really depends how long you will be there though and what kind of dining expectations you have. Some people NEED sit downs and character experiences. Others don't!
Very good to know!

I rather like these dates. But I can see advantages to January. Decisions:-)

There is a free dining discount that goes through Sept 29. As long as you arrive on or before the 29th, you get the dining plan for your entire stay. There may not be much availability, but it's worth going onto their site and checking.

We stressed about this too until I looked into the dining plan and decided it was not a good match for us anyway so we only did a few table service meals and the rest quick service.

If you do plan to do the meal plan though your options might be kind of limited inside the 180 window if you go during free dining.

We found the touring plans website’s reservation finder helped us get the few reservations we did want though so recommend that!

We have the Deluxe dining plan (which is probably going to be more food than we can handle) and found that we had no issues whatsoever getting reservations at all the popular table service restaurants and at the times we wanted them. I Haven't had any issues when it has come to making any reservations at all. Our main issue is looking at the vast amount of food we are going to have to consume to make the dining plan worth the money we paid. It is A LOT of food :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter