New York or Orlando?? Heck, let`s do both.....12 nights NYC & Sapphire Falls...July 18 Trip Report

Ooooh a cliff hanger! What happens on Saturday to change your plans, and what were the plans to begin with? I hope all is well and it isn't something upsetting. Happy travels!

Woohoo - another fabulous trip report from Carole!!!!:flower: One of my favourite reads on the Disboards....... the excitement builds........ can’t wait:flower1:

Yes!! I've been waiting for this!!!

:welcome: back for another ramble Annachristine.........

Lovely to see you post again.........

I was planning on already being on day 4 or 5.........but hey ho........best laid plans!!!

Glad you’re along again too.........:wave2:

Ooooh a cliff hanger! What happens on Saturday to change your plans, and what were the plans to begin with? I hope all is well and it isn't something upsetting. Happy travels!

And another :welcome: back too.........

Oh I didn’t mean it to sound like a cliff hanger!!! Now I read it back it kinda is........:blush:

It was a bit of a shock, but not in a good way.......but it worked out in the long run............

Gosh that sounds very cryptic!!! We were supposed to be seeing family, but it never happened this time.......

Glad you’re reading along too.........:wave2:

Woohoo - another fabulous trip report from Carole!!!!:flower: One of my favourite reads on the Disboards....... the excitement builds........ can’t wait:flower1:

Yay.........:welcome: back jump00.........

Always good to see you too!!!

I keep saying we don’t do much........maybe I shouldn’t, it’ll put folks off.......lol......and I’m always amazed anyone reads my sometimes ramblings at all..........:laughing:

Glad you’re joining along too..........:wave2:

Woot! So glad you decided to report your July trip. Lovely looking airport hotel. Will enjoy seeing your pictures and great comments.

Follow on, looking forward to some more NY info and pictures that will be coming up next.

I feel like I just finished your last report and here is another one :)

I can't wait to read about your NYC trip. I live in Philadelphia and we frequently visit NYC. I love that city :) The Marriott Marquis is my favorite hotel and my kids love to ride the elevators in the main lobby, which is beautiful. You should see it at Christmas time.

FRIDAY JULY 13TH...…………...Travel Day...…………….:sunny:

Well, we didn't sleep great at all...…..it`s so annoying as the bed is comfortable, but excitement keeps us awake as always...….the room was fairly cool because the aircon is hard to get exactly right.....so it was a night of kicking the duvet off, waking up cold, putting it back on, getting too hot, kicking it off, waking up cold...….rinse and repeat...…...with the occasional wander to the window from me to have a look at the airport hustle and bustle....always amazes me how busy it is during the night.

But, I was awake when the alarm call came at 5.30am. It wasn't one of the automated ones again, a real life cheery person bounced on to the line with such a feverish excitement even I woke up rapidly :crazy:......I would love to be even remotely as chipper as that so early......and I am quite an early morning person usually.....

So as I was fully awake I headed in to the shower which contrary to our last visit this one was incredibly powerful...….again, the products they have are nice, quite fresh and saves the space in cases from bringing our own. I like not having to carry a hairdryer but the hotel one is powerful enough for my hair, but as I have complained about before, it`s one of those you have to keep your finger on a button while you use it......but it works. Tom meanwhile had dragged himself to the shower while I finished getting ready...…..and giving me a lovely rendition of New York New York.....not even remotely sounding like Frank!!!

The weather is dreadful this morning...….it looks utterly miserable with heavy rain and grey cloud...…..perfect day to fly out of the country...…..

We pack up our last minute stuff and I wait until my straighteners were totally cool before packing them in the case......we head downstairs to checkout, not bothering with the breakfast at the hotel...….it`s far too early. They do have a little grab and go area with coffee, tea and some fruit and little croissants, but we pass on them too.

The walk down to the terminal takes 5 minutes...….although our cases are heavy we do have quite the spring in our step......very contrary to the folks we are passing who are going the other way...…..not a happy walk!!!

Thomas Cook have designated check in desks for the USA now...….so we looked to see Premium check in and there was one couple in front of us.....and after being asked a few security questions we got to the desk and had the cases weighed...….the check in agent was lovely and quite chatty. They are always personable but this guy was lovely.

Next was security where we got straight to the front with Priority check in...….there wasn't a huge queue in the regular line, but it was stifling hot in the building so we were glad to get through a little quicker. I go through the normal scanner not the xray today, but although I still get frisked.....as does Tom behind me...….we must look guilty...…..but, as expected we are straight through to the other side, which thankfully is a lot cooler today.

We pass through all the duty free stuff right now as we now have breakfast in mind...…...there are a few options here in this terminal, but we usually opt for Giraffe restaurant...…..it`s busy, a little manic but food is alright and you can see out to the planes......apparently I`m odd. I do like to see the planes as we sit...….there is a heck of a line of folks waiting to get in here today...….there are other options, but they are mobbed too. But, we wait and it`s only about 5 minutes till we get seated...….I usually ask for a table by the window, but don't today as they really are crowded out....I think we just arrived at the busiest time possible...…...but, we do get a table by the window after all...….

This was perfect...…..sitting waiting to fly to sunny and warm New York City, and we are leaving a miserable Manchester...…..we were smiling indeed!!! We had a quick look at the menu, but we knew what we were having...….Tom wanted the cooked option without the dreaded beans, and I had white toast with marmalade and a side of bacon...….fancied some real bacon. And a huge pot of tea.

i-fGxdsDH-XL.jpg

i-nFzLh5r-XL.jpg

While we waited we looked smugly at the downpour that was descending on the adjacent runway...…..

i-MqX9vct-XL.jpg

Although this wasn't our plane, I was staring intently as it came in to it`s gate and I was laughing in a second to see the pilot wave up to me...….I of course waved back rather childishly...…...you can see them very clear when they`re in that gate.

i-GK7cJQF-XL.jpg

Breakfast was ok. My toast was a sourdough bread and the edges were brick hard......honestly, you could have done someone an injury with it ......so I cut around it with the worst knife in the world...…..it wasn't easy...…..but I succeeded and managed to leave an almost exact one piece of edge....the other was a mess!!! But, I ate all of the middle that was left. Tom thought his was just ok. But, it filled a hole...……it was also a little quieter now, most of the crowds were gone so we didn't feel the need to rush out now. It was also getting a little cooler as the aircon had been upped.

We eventually got up and paid the check and headed down towards duty free...…..and rather strangely today we don't buy anything......I have so many perfumes at the minute I struggle to use them up, except Chanel Chance of which I am going to purchase the larger bottle in Orlando. They don't have that size right now. So we wander a little and then slowly meander back to the area where the boards are. We purchase a large bottle of water and not very many snacks...…..we used to buy far too much, so now cut it back to a few items in case the food is truly dreadful......touch wood it hasn't been bad at all last few years going out.

We have a bathroom visit...…....then our gate has appeared on the screen so we head down to sit and wait a little longer. Our gate no matter where we fly to is always the furthest gate away form civilization.......we take a seat and see the CC appear and we recognize a few from our May flight home from Orlando......one I particularly remember because she looked so much like our Keishashadow........even Tom mentioned she was like her!! But, we sit and wait........

Premium gets on after any assistance passengers. But, from the entry point there is already a huge line forming of folks wanting to get on the plane......after Premium they call you in rows from the rear of the plane........but, that doesn't stop even those that know they are going to be last on lining up first......lol...not sure why folks do that.

Not long after they call Premium passengers to board, so we have to say excuse me to all these people to get through........and some look not very happy....not my problem. We show passports and boarding cards and we are schmoozing our way down the corridor to get on the plane......we turn left and find our seats easily........there are 7 rows in Premium and we are row 6. We say hello as always to CC on entering the cabin and the one that looks like Keisha recognized us......I think she has been on around 4 or 5 of our recent flights.......we tell her it`s nice to see her again, she tells us she should have been on the Orlando flight but someone asked her to swap......our gain.

Plenty of room in the seats which we love.......it`s less manic to get seated than in economy so most are seated quickly.......then of course we get the little plastic glass of sparkling wine or orange juice.......I think you can guess which one we chose.........:rolleyes1 It is quite nice and another lovely way to start the flight off.........

Our take off time was 10.35am, of course we never take off on time.......but they had one little delay and thankfully we took off at 11.10am, not too bad at all.........of course I`m not nervous as in terrified of flying, but I do get a little leary at take offs..........but as always it was smooth and swift.......I didn't even grip the seat this time..........and even managed a picture just before we flew into thick cloud.

i-4QT2Qzm-XL.jpg

Once we take off we sit back and they come around with pretzels and a drink choice......I ask for a white wine and Tom asks for a coke which I`m surprised at, but he has ordered a bottle of champagne to be delivered to us during the flight :cheer2:......well, he doesn't have to drive at the other end, and thought it would be nice.......it would be........:D so I swapped the wine for a pepsi......we would also get wine with food, so a good choice........

The other CC lady we knew vaguely asked us for some stories about the one we knew and of course it was all in good fun, they were really nice.......she asked when we would like the champagne and we suggested maybe after the meal once everything was cleared......so she would put it on ice for us.

I settled down to watch a movie again.......Tom found his usual superhero type of movie and I found one called Table 19, which I haven't seen the end of it yet........

Food appeared and Tom chose the beef curry, I went for the chicken in mustard sauce.........we usually get two different choices in case one of us (me ::yes::) doesn't like the choice made........but they were both ok.....although I was glad I had picked the chicken......…

i-Kf4N2KH-XL.jpg

i-g7vjnm7-XL.jpg

i-WC56tXj-XL.jpg

I`d be the first to agree it`s not the most flattering looking food.......Tom`s curry was edible. That`s about all I`ll say........mine was actually better. The chicken was tender and I really liked the potato galette. I hate green beans so pushed them to the side and don't eat the bread roll, although I think Tom enjoyed his.........cheese and crackers then a lovely ginger and vanilla cheesecake to finish.......makes a change from the usual chocolate dessert I always give away.........but, it was passable and the wine was alright too!!!

I was a little bored with the movie now, so put it off and thought I may watch The Greatest Showman......again. I think this would be my 5th time this year.....maybe time for something different........but, it`s such a good movie.

I could feel my eyes drifting off when Louise appeared with the champagne......she asked if it was a special occasion, we said actually no, just because we could...….well, that was as good a reason as any...……

i-vCkt6qn-XL.jpg

i-6ZHJcF4-XL.jpg

You can tell the people who aren't used to taking "selfies" as we are looking at the wrong piece of the camera...…...it`s a whole new world out there!!!! It`s a little awkward with such a heavy camera, but we manage........Will never however get a selfie stick...…..those are the worst!!!

We enjoy the champagne and Tom is very generous at pouring mine and topping it up...….love that guy...…...and eventually it`s gone.....but it was lovely.....she takes the bottle away and we settle down again to watch stuff on the screen in the chair in front. I`m always worried about tapping the screen too hard, but these ones are quite sensitive......so no having to bash them, which I wouldn't do anyway.

Now I was sleepy again...….but, couldn't fall over but must have done at some point. I reclined as the man behind me had fully reclined and I wouldn't impact him......although the way these Premium seats are designed, you really don't impact them. It was nice just chilling and watching yep, once again, The Greatest Showman...….love it!!!

I do sleep and after a while Tom is nudging me awake......I see the other CC lady beside us...….she asks if we would like a little more champagne...I said yes, thank you that would be lovely...…..fully expecting a little glass the same as when you enter the cabin...…….

No. It was a bottle...…….there had been a tiny amount out of it...….someone had asked to pay for a single glass of champagne......it`s the only thing you`ll pay for on the flights, so they had a bottle open and very kindly asked if we wanted it...……how lovely!! And we were a little more than astounded too...…...

Picture is a little dark as cabin lights were dimmed...……

i-qbxdfGc-XL.jpg

We did comment we would be pickled by the time we got to NYC!!!!

It was lovely too and we were incredibly grateful that they thought about us...…..a couple actually asked us if we really ordered 2 bottles of champagne!!! MYOB!!!! Although they`ll know now if they`re reading...….lol...…..it was really lovely of CC to gift us the champagne, we really do appreciate the little touches you never expect to happen on a trip. It makes you very thankful.

Afternoon tea was served and as it wasn't as long a flight as Orlando we didn't get sandwiches and cakes, we didn't need it anyway, but it was a lovely piece of lemon cake and tea...….although we weren't hungry as such, it passes some time.

We were over the worst of the journey now and nearing our destination...…… we had taken a pretty direct route across the Atlantic......sometimes we trundle over Canada, and once we were up pretty far to avoid a weather front......but not today. I try not to think about the deep ocean beneath us...…..

Kyle told us later he had seen on the flight tracker we had flown directly over Boston, but it was so cloudy we didn't see anything...……

i-PDkmzCd-XL.jpg

i-BLXHZBR-XL.jpg

I could see Long Island clearly as we passed......I "waved" to my family down there...….and knew now we weren't long from landing...….especially when we saw this, although a little misty...…...well, very misty...……

i-GBkJLLN-XL.jpg

We sat back and waited to land, our excitement was high now as we neared the City. It was still funny landing at JFK instead of Orlando...….but we hoped this would be just as fun a trip as we ever have...…

I`m a worrier though, and this was the first time entering under Global Entry since we completed registration in May. We hoped it was as easy as everyone says...……

Coming up...…...NYC

Woot! So glad you decided to report your July trip. Lovely looking airport hotel. Will enjoy seeing your pictures and great comments.

Follow on, looking forward to some more NY info and pictures that will be coming up next.

:welcome: along Lynne...….hope you like it.....

Yes the hotel is lovely.....we really enjoy staying there...…..yep, a few pictures of NYC coming up...…..:thumbsup2

I feel like I just finished your last report and here is another one :)

I can't wait to read about your NYC trip. I live in Philadelphia and we frequently visit NYC. I love that city :) The Marriott Marquis is my favorite hotel and my kids love to ride the elevators in the main lobby, which is beautiful. You should see it at Christmas time.

:welcome: back for this one too klo1335...…...yep they are a little close...….:D

You are so lucky to live so close!!! Yes, NYC is fabulous.....there is something special about it......and Marriott Marquis elevators are genius!!!! We sat last year in the lobby bar watching them zip up and down...…..

I can imagine how beautiful it would be at Christmas......the whole city actually looks to be stunning......but, I`m so scared of the cold I doubt I`ll ever go that time of year...….:rotfl:

I`d be behind the window of the hotel...…..::yes::

I can’t imagine Schumi ever not go to the darkside

If that would happen, I’d have a breakdown
Lol

Truly enjoy all her travel reports and hope they never stop

lol...….yep, I can`t see us not visiting anytime soon...…..

Many staff members say we are almost permanent fixtures there...….:laughing: Hope that's a good thing...……

Thank you......I`m always glad to read you enjoy them so much...…….:wave2:

Hi I am glad I was able to catch up today and see your report started. I have some down time from the teens today!!

I understand about the flying. I too am not nervous about flying except for the take off!! I could never figure out why!! Once I am in the air I am good with my nerves!!

I live so close to NY and I just don't get there often. I agree I don't like to drive in the city and don't like the subway either. We would take a train from CT and then walk or use cabs. It really is an exciting city to be in. The hotel looks amazing and so glad you are happy with it.

I think it is great that you and Tom can enjoy your retirement the way that makes you happy!!

I can't wait to read on!!!!!

It was nice just chilling and watching yep, once again, The Greatest Showman...….love it!!!

I absolutely LOVE this movie! I watched it flying to Orlando and then back again on my trip in March and have watched it probably 10 times since then. The soundtrack is amazing and so are the actors in the movie.

I am looking forward to reading another one of your reports! Always entertaining :wave::flower:

Yay! Another trip report to enjoy! :) So glad you had a good trip! And not sleeping the night before a trip is the WORST. I can never sleep before a morning flight. Just excited, anxious I might miss my alarm, etc, etc.... Can't wait to read the rest!

Love the selfies! I love NYC, there is no place on earth like it. I need to plan a trip soon.

Lol......I’m not really a selfie person but we did manage a few.......most not flattering at all!! I guess that’s the reason so many favour the stick!!

Yes, NYC is amazing........and the people are amazing too........:)

Hi I am glad I was able to catch up today and see your report started. I have some down time from the teens today!!

I understand about the flying. I too am not nervous about flying except for the take off!! I could never figure out why!! Once I am in the air I am good with my nerves!!

I live so close to NY and I just don't get there often. I agree I don't like to drive in the city and don't like the subway either. We would take a train from CT and then walk or use cabs. It really is an exciting city to be in. The hotel looks amazing and so glad you are happy with it.

I think it is great that you and Tom can enjoy your retirement the way that makes you happy!!

I can't wait to read on!!!!!

:welcome: Bobbie..........

Yep, retirement is fantastic. I’m glad we didn’t have to wait a good few more years for this.......I know how lucky we are with the position he was in, and we truly embrace every moment! Folks say we would need a hobby......I definitely found one in travelling!

Yes, that’s the ways we got around the city......walking is definitely the best way to see it all, and even then you don’t.......but we decided this time to just relax and not fit in all the tourist attractions we had already done several times. And it worked for us........of course won’t suit everyone........

But, hope you enjoy it and glad to have you here..........:)

I absolutely LOVE this movie! I watched it flying to Orlando and then back again on my trip in March and have watched it probably 10 times since then. The soundtrack is amazing and so are the actors in the movie.

I am looking forward to reading another one of your reports! Always entertaining :wave::flower:

:welcome: Back for this one too.........RoliePolieColie.........love that name!!! Does it have any special meaning......but it’s cool!

I put off watching it for so long, and I’m not sure why........but when I first watched it, I was blown away by it.......it made me laugh, sing and cry in the space of a few moments!!! And Hugh Jackman!! Was never really a big fan of his till I saw this.........

Bought the soundtrack after I watched it first time.......and can be found singing around the house.......badly!!!

But, glad you’re back too and hope it's a fun read........:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter