New to wheelchair and using one at WDW

ppony

Artist in residence
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I have rented an ECV at WDW and DLR before. DLR wasn’t a problem as we stayed at the GCV and I never had to do transportation w a scooter, but I’ll be traveling w a motorized wheelchair this time and I honestly don’t know what my options at WDW are.

Getting to WDW from the airport. Does DME have the ability to take you and your chair? I can walk minimally. I’m honestly scared to death to rely on busses after my last trip when the bus loaded me first as they have to and it was POURING RAIN. The people that had to wait for me to be loaded were PISSED AT ME when they finally got on, and many of them let me know it. I wanted to crawl away and hide, I was so humiliated.

But that may be my only option. What are my options for transportation while staying on property? Both to and from the airport and while there? We used to rent a car all the time, but I’m thinking that’s not an option anymore and driving there is 1200 miles one way w a child on the spectrum. That’s not gonna happen. .

Thanks!

The people that had to wait for me to be loaded were PISSED AT ME when they finally got on,
Too d*** bad for them. Their lack of preparedness is not your responsibility.
Does DME have the ability to take you and your chair?
Yes. Let them know when you reserve, and again a couole of days before you return to the airport.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Disney transportation in the past. Here is what you need to tell yourself - you and your wheelchair have the same rights and responsibilities as any other guest at Walt Disney World. You have the right to use Disney transportation just like everyone else, both legally and morally.

Yes, notify Disney Magical Express ahead of time and they can send a bus with a lift. If you can transfer and your wheelchair will fit under the bus with the luggage, you can take any Disney Magical Express bus.

As far as comments from other guests, you have to take a deep breath, remind yourself that you have the same rights as every other guest and roll on the bus, boat or monorail. It’s up to you whether you choose to ignore the ignorant people who have no empathy or understanding for others or choose to respond to any comments. I have done and do both, depending on my mood. My standard comment to anyone who dares to comment to me or about me in my hearing is along the lines of “I’m sorry my disability has ruined your day”. That shuts all the comments and murmuring down quickly.

I will say that most of the time, I think most people are just watching the bus load a wheelchair or ECV because there’s nothing else to look at while they wait. The kids are watching because it’s fascinating. Not everyone staring at you is doing so with hostility, sometimes we let if feel that way because our disability has become the center of attention as we have to roll on the bus first. It sucks, but life goes on.

The few times I have actually heard an ignorant remark aimed at me or the delay and I’ve responded, other guests have been extra nice to me once the board the bus. A few times other guests have spoken up with supporting comments for me and my right to exist.

Over time, you will become more hardened to the real or imagined disapproval of others, as you become more proficient at Disney transportation while in a wheelchair.

Please don’t allow anyone to “slow your roll”. Life in a wheelchair can be challenging, but your life is what you make it, make it a good one. Enjoy your trip!

I have rented an ECV at WDW and DLR before. DLR wasn’t a problem as we stayed at the GCV and I never had to do transportation w a scooter, but I’ll be traveling w a motorized wheelchair this time and I honestly don’t know what my options at WDW are.

Getting to WDW from the airport. Does DME have the ability to take you and your chair? I can walk minimally. I’m honestly scared to death to rely on busses after my last trip when the bus loaded me first as they have to and it was POURING RAIN. The people that had to wait for me to be loaded were PISSED AT ME when they finally got on, and many of them let me know it. I wanted to crawl away and hide, I was so humiliated.

But that may be my only option. What are my options for transportation while staying on property? Both to and from the airport and while there? We used to rent a car all the time, but I’m thinking that’s not an option anymore and driving there is 1200 miles one way w a child on the spectrum. That’s not gonna happen. .

Thanks!

Other guests' poor planning and poor thinking is not your problem. At the airport, for example, the DME area is sheltered and right next to a huge indoor area they can wait in until you are loaded; no reason at all for them to be waiting in the rain. Likewise at the resorts, it is easy enough for them to say to the driver "because of the rain we are going to wait over there, please let us know when you are ready to board us". THEIR problem, NOT yours.

Loading you first is for everyone's safety, including theirs.

As for DME, yes they can handle a motorized wheelchair, but they need advance notice; let them know when you make the reservation. If you've already made it, call them ASAP to let them know.

I am hoping someone who uses a motorized wheelchair on site can chime in, but I believe the on site transportation is just as accessible to one as it would be to an ECV, which means most of it is. What I am not certain about is the tie-down issue on the buses -- hopefully someone can comment on that. If your wheelchair has tie-downs for use on public transportation then you should be good to go.

The one exception for ECVs/electric/non-foldable devices [e.g. if someone can't transfer out of the device and walk] is that some of the resort-to-park boats can only handle folding strollers and wheelchairs where the rider can transfer/get out and walk because they don't have a ramp. These are some of the ones that go to the MK resorts. But IME with an ECV if one of those boats arrives they will call for one of the larger boats that CAN accommodate the electric device. Grand Floridian and Poly are the two whose normal boat service is the smaller boats, but both those resorts have the monorail which if it is working may be as easier alternative anyway. Poly also has the main ferry from the TTC which is walking distance from Poly. For WL its service often alternates big and little boat. So there can sometimes be a wait for the bigger boat, so I always build in extra time for that possibility when I am using an ECV.

Also, although I have never used them, there are wheelchair accessible Minnie Vans (service offered by Disney through Lyft but the accesible ones are arranged by phone call], and wheelchair accessible Taxis. Your resort Bell Services should be able to help you arrange for that. Although there is a cost, they could be an effective way to meet some transportation needs.

SW

If you have experienced getting on the park buses with an ECV then you will find getting on with your power chair much easier as chairs steer better! The bus driver may ask you if you have designated or preferred tie down spots on your chair. Do not worry if you don't know or don't have, the driver will figure out what to do if you don't know.

The lift for the Magical Express with very different than the ramp procedure with the park buses. For the Magical Express, there is a doorway at the rear, passenger side of the bus. The door opens and a platform comes out and is lowered. You roll on to the platform with your chair and it lifts you up and into the bus. Think open air elevator. The lift has rails and safety things. I think of it as my first Disney ride for starting my trip.

Thanks!
also remember that wheelchairs are loaded first like ECVs and get tied down also unless you can fold chair and have it carried on like a stroller. as for the complainers let them be pissed. we stay at campground with an ECV and use the internal buses one time when bus got to my stop a couple was already on bus. driver asked them to move forward out of way. they refused so driver had me drive on as normal and I ran over lady's toes. when she said she was going to complain driver said go ahead then pointed to a camera and told her when asked for footage it would show they refused to move when asked. should have seen her face

The kids are watching because it’s fascinating.

Guess I'm a kid at heart then. I did find when the ramps unfolded, much more interesting than just lower the bus and a ramp slides out. The interest in not in the person, but more of "what will they think of next" amazement.

As someone who recently transitioned from an ECV to a power chair - I find there is a big difference in how one is perceived. Most people look at an ECV as an optional device that one uses out of convenience to make things easier. A person in a power chair is viewed as having to use that device as an absolute necessity. And unfortunately that can occasionally give not so nice people what they consider as an excuse (in their minds) for their bad behavior (unkind comments). That type of person often wants to think that someone uses an ECV just because they are lazy. Sad.

Not everyone who uses and ECV has an option to walk, nor is everyone is a wheelchair unable to walk - but those are often people's perceptions. My power chair literally cost SEVEN times what my ECV did. Not everyone has the resources to have an expensive power chair. My late uncle used an ECV after losing one of his legs (and was unable to have a prosthesis). Walking was NOT an option for him - yet he used an ECV not a power chair. Not sure why - he's been gone for years.

I can walk 10-20 yards with a walker so I actually can walk some. I am not 100% wheelchair bound - but find my Whill ci power chair to have greatly enhanced my life. I could still use an ECV - but the chair is so much easier to maneuver etc. But I have noticed a difference in how people regard me.

As someone who recently transitioned from an ECV to a power chair - I find there is a big difference in how one is perceived. Most people look at an ECV as an optional device that one uses out of convenience to make things easier. A person in a power chair is viewed as having to use that device as an absolute necessity.

I also transitioned from ECV to power chair and can walk a little bit! I agree that I am perceived much differently now that I have a wheelchair. You may notice that at Disney also, that the nasty remarks are for the ECV users who are thought to be too lazy or too fat or too old and a wheelchair user who is "truly disabled". It is not necessarily true but it is what it is.

As someone who recently transitioned from an ECV to a power chair - I find there is a big difference in how one is perceived. Most people look at an ECV as an optional device that one uses out of convenience to make things easier. A person in a power chair is viewed as having to use that device as an absolute necessity. And unfortunately that can occasionally give not so nice people what they consider as an excuse (in their minds) for their bad behavior (unkind comments). That type of person often wants to think that someone uses an ECV just because they are lazy. Sad.

Not everyone who uses and ECV has an option to walk, nor is everyone is a wheelchair unable to walk - but those are often people's perceptions. My power chair literally cost SEVEN times what my ECV did. Not everyone has the resources to have an expensive power chair. My late uncle used an ECV after losing one of his legs (and was unable to have a prosthesis). Walking was NOT an option for him - yet he used an ECV not a power chair. Not sure why - he's been gone for years.

I can walk 10-20 yards with a walker so I actually can walk some. I am not 100% wheelchair bound - but find my Whill ci power chair to have greatly enhanced my life. I could still use an ECV - but the chair is so much easier to maneuver etc. But I have noticed a difference in how people regard me.
Well that really stinks because some people don’t fly with their power chair, as they don’t want to gate check it. I had a power chair first until I took it on a flight with Air Trans. It was less than three months old and it arrived in Orlando looking as if it fell of the back of the plane. The two air trans guys who pushed part of the chair and carried the parts that broke off said, “uh I think we have a problem”. No kidding. The worst part was the computer brain and joystick were totally mangled and destroyed beyond repair. Which is what the airline tried to pay for first, repair, not replacement,

It took months and months to get the airline to pony up the full amount to replace the chair. My health insurance company finally got involved to help me get the airline to pay for a replacement power chair, which was very expensive indeed.

In the meantime, I was forced to buy a used ECV to get around. Once I finally got a new power chair I swore I would never let her out of my sight again. Now I only travel with an ECV.

Serenity - I understand why you would never want to fly with your "good chair" again. We drive to WDW so I do not have that issue. We drive almost everyplace - including to Maine from Arkansas two years ago. The only place we flew to recently was to California for my college reunion. If I go again 4 years from now I would probably rent a Whill out there (their headquarters are in No. California). It would be expensive - but the damage to my chair could be much worse.

Well that really stinks because some people don’t fly with their power chair, as they don’t want to gate check it. I had a power chair first until I took it on a flight with Air Trans. It was less than three months old and it arrived in Orlando looking as if it fell of the back of the plane.

Wow. That was a painful experience. I have flown with my power chair over ten round trips without problem. I remove my joystick/computer and take it into the airplane with me along with the headrest. But I understand that I am always taking a risk.

It is not an accurate perception that a power chair user is more legitimate than an ECV user but it is a common one.

You guys are so wonderful! THANK YOU for your info, advice and commiserating. It's so hard to toughen skin. I have yet to use my chair as I got it from my dad who passed away a few months ago :sad: and he actually never used it. So it's brand new Hoveround. I need to get a portable ramp to get it in my van. I'd think, to look at it, that the seat folds down and it just might fit under the bus. Thank God. I'm just so much happier to know that I'll now have the ability to go place w/ my family as opposed to staying home all the time, or letting them do things while I wait. I was thinking about asking my Dr. for one, but I always get a lecture about how it's ALL my weight and it's ALL my fault. She doesn't take any of my pain seriously. I know, I need a new doc, but she prescribes my depression meds, so I stick w/ her for the time being. :(

I had to upgrade to a power wheelchair a number of years ago. Just got a new one as the old one died. It was almost 15 years old. Don’t let the naysayers get you down. If they have a problem with you using the buses that is their issue. Unfortunately they make assumptions that are just not true.
The driver will find a place to tie down your wheelchair. Most of the park buses have ramps but the ME buses have a lift. Don’t worry about negative comments. You will probably never see these people again.
An example of people assuming happened to me many years ago at MK. I was enjoying myself and waiting for a castle when this man verbally attacked me because I was on my own with no “caretaker”. I was yelled at and told I had no right to be at Disney because that is not how I should be spending the money he paid in taxes for me to get disability benefits. And definitely should be with a caretaker to take care of me. No on all counts. I was and am still working and paying taxes. I function quite well without a caretaker and in fact, if I needed help my teenage daughters were in the park and checking in with me at regular intervals. And The sign language interpreters were expecting me at that show. I had already seen them and they knew I was coming. I am hard of hearing and at that time was interpreting myself as a church interpreter. I knew them from professional workshops we all attended.

I had to upgrade to a power wheelchair a number of years ago. Just got a new one as the old one died. It was almost 15 years old. Don’t let the naysayers get you down. If they have a problem with you using the buses that is their issue. Unfortunately they make assumptions that are just not true.
The driver will find a place to tie down your wheelchair. Most of the park buses have ramps but the ME buses have a lift. Don’t worry about negative comments. You will probably never see these people again.
An example of people assuming happened to me many years ago at MK. I was enjoying myself and waiting for a castle when this man verbally attacked me because I was on my own with no “caretaker”. I was yelled at and told I had no right to be at Disney because that is not how I should be spending the money he paid in taxes for me to get disability benefits. And definitely should be with a caretaker to take care of me. No on all counts. I was and am still working and paying taxes. I function quite well without a caretaker and in fact, if I needed help my teenage daughters were in the park and checking in with me at regular intervals. And The sign language interpreters were expecting me at that show. I had already seen them and they knew I was coming. I am hard of hearing and at that time was interpreting myself as a church interpreter. I knew them from professional workshops we all attended.
WHOA! that guy was so far out of line, he was on another continent!! I'm so sorry you experienced that. It angers me so much that people think because they pay taxes, they have the rights to get up in everyone else's face. Nevermind that WE pay taxes too and how about just butt out of people's lives? I'll never understand wanting to micro-manage others. But I'm GLAD that you were out and enjoying yourself! Sometimes, I think most people would rather people w/ disabilities simply stay home (and millions do), rather than inconveniencing them in any way physically or visually. :(

We had been on our way to the Night of Joy taht night it was raining and people yelled and glared at me on the bus. BUT, there was one woman that came up to me and told me not to fret and just ignore her. I was glad for that. So glad. I know I won't ever be able to remain silent if I see someone mistreating someone else. For whatever teh reason. Coming to the defense of others is a moral imperative to me.

THANKS everyone! I'm feeling less apprehensive and more excited now. I even ordered a few books and plan to tell our kids this Christmas, a trip is on for next year. <3 It's been 3 years since I've been. Mobility and fear of not having it being a main reason holding me back.

Sidebar: is a ramp for a wheelchair for a van considered a medical device for insurance or flex-pay accounts? In case anyone knows. I just thought of that since we have a few hundred left in our flex account for the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!